Starting Problems With Two Carenes

rh968

I have just bought two Carenes, including a lovely Blue Obsession with gunmetal cap. They write well, when they do write - there is quite a bad start up problem with both of them. I have filled them with ink many times over to get the flow going, but even after a five minute pause they are reluctant to write again first time. Is this a known problem with the Carene, and is there anything that can be done about it? It really irritates me when pens don't write first time, and I feel disappointed with both of these pens.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rh968

• pajaro

• Left FPN

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Conventionally Carenes are easy starters.

Many advise flushing new sections with warm soapy water before use. This removes some of the mould release agents. Maybe leave to soak overnight.

Do the same for a converter if it is being used.

What ink are you using...some DO make a difference.

Are you using converter or cartridge. If converter is it pushed fully up inside the section grip.

I cleaned them first with Herbin fountain pen cleaner from Amazon which usually does the trick; I've only used Waterman Serenity Blue ink in them. As far as I can tell the converter is fully 'in'.

Try this,

Remove converter and blow all the ink out of the section, back into the bottle.

Directly fill converter from ink bottle.

Put converter back into the section and inject the ink into the section.

Remove converter and refill again directly from bottle again

Put converter into section and screw the piston in until ink emits the nib/breather hole...now back off the piston 2 turns.

Try that and report back.

Try this,

Remove converter and blow all the ink out of the section, back into the bottle.

Directly fill converter from ink bottle.

Put converter back into the section and inject the ink into the section.

Remove converter and refill again directly from bottle again

Put converter into section and screw the piston in until ink emits the nib/breather hole...now back off the piston 2 turns.

Try that and report back.

That's the way to do it. The Carene has a huge internal feed that holds a lot of ink. Once it's saturated, you're away. :D

It can be sensitive to inks. I've recently tried Diamine Brilliant Red in mine and it was skipping like crazy. Then I used the stock Waterman Serenity Blue carts and it returned to it's normal gushing self.

You may also find that you get better results with the cartridge than the converter.

Edited by Bluey

It can be sensitive to inks. I've recently tried Diamine Brilliant Red in mine and it was skipping like crazy. Then I used the stock Waterman Serenity Blue and it returned to it's normal gushing self.

YOu may also find that you get better results with the cartridge than the converter.

I never use a cartridge in either of my Carenes. I use the original type of Waterman converter with the metal end that doesn't split, like the newer plastic one does.

I never use a cartridge in either of my Carenes. I use the original type of Waterman converter with the metal end that doesn't split, like the newer plastic one does.

If you ever have problems with the flow, try the cartridge. That's what fixed my initial skipping problems (I was aware of the large feed which requires full saturation, so that was taken account of). I'm not sure which one I had because I no longer have it, but I remember that it had a red band on it.

Edited by Bluey

If you ever have problems with the flow, try the cartridge. That's what fixed my initial skipping problems (I was aware of the large feed which requires full saturation, so that was taken account of). I'm not sure which one I had because I no longer have it, but I remember that it had a red band on it.

I don't have a problem with flow or skipping. I have a stub nib and an oblique nib, so that's probably why. :)

I had a starting problem with my three Carenes. I tried all kinds of the usual remedies. I put in a cartridge with the blue black Waterman ink, and the extra fine starts nicely. I think I'll sell the other two pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Have done what Force (and others) have recommended and they write much better now. Many thanks for all the advice. The pens write beautifully on cheaper paper, but on Oxford and Clairefontaine - they don't seem to like it that much, which is surprising since they are marketed as 'fountain pen friendly'. It's a little bit scratchy - why can't pens work more reliably straight out of the box? The only pens I have found to do that without exception are the less favoured Cross pens, and I like them for that reason.

Try to keep them loaded. I forgot to ask a very important question. What nib size are you using.

If you have not seen this before, here is a Carene feed to show how much ink they hold.

How does nib size affect this issue? Maybe I am using the wrong nib size? EF, F, M.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The broader the nib, the more ink needed.

A broad nib will show ink starvation problems sooner.

About paper. Clairfontaine is beautiful paper, and FP frinedly inasmuch as it won't feather and bleed.

BUT. That paper is very dense, and the ink will not seep into the paper but stay on top. If there is any dirt or grease on the paper the ink won't stick, leading to skipping and hard starts. Usually sweat and grime from your hand is the culprit. Learn to use a supportsheet under your hand. This can either be a piece of paper, or a smooth plastic sheet

About new pens: It is, apart from a maiden cleaning, always a good idea to prime the feed: Put the pen in the ink bottle and leave it standing for a few hours. On first fill empty the pen again, refill and do that a few times, to saturate the feed.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I am using a M nib. With regard to cleaning, prepping etc - why don't manufacturers advise you about this sort of thing? It shouldn't be left to folk to discover FPN!

I am using a M nib. With regard to cleaning, prepping etc - why don't manufacturers advise you about this sort of thing? It shouldn't be left to folk to discover FPN!

They expect that their pens will work straight out of the box. If they aren't brand new from a main dealer, they care less. :mellow:

I used syringes to flush out the fine, EF and M nibs. The EF is working with a cartridge. The M seems to be OK after a few days of use with a converter.

I suspect that the makers assume the user of these pens will have some advanced level of pen knowledge. Probably not a good assumption. Back in the 1980s Montblanc did say something about flushing the 144 in the instructions. I suppose most of them think you will use your head using their pens. When you get to your wits' end trying to get their products to work, you can at least find a forum for help these days. Even if the members can't solve your issue, they might get you pointed the right way or give you some ideas.

My idea is that if my pens won't continue to write given the knowledge I have acquired in many years of pen use, I put them aside and use another one that works. That's no help for some people, but I can identify a few pens that will work continuously without drying out issues. There is little more exasperating to me than to pick up a pen I used a few hours ago, and find it dried out. I am getting old and the fuse is getting shorter.