Lamy Al Star

Waltz For Zizi

I'm trying to decide if I really want to buy a Lamy al star, just because it's an inexpensive pen and I kind of like the new color (pacific), but I'm not too fond of the shape. I like elegant pens like Aurora with it's nice clip design, and Pelikan with the nice sripes and nib shape. The lamy to me looks childis with the clip and ink window.

Did any of you had the same dilemma and bought the pen, and if so did you regret purchasing it? Do you use it as much as your Pelikan (if you have one) or other favourite pens?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waltz For Zizi

• senzen

• ParkerDuofold

• tamiya

Love Al-Star, they cheer me up :) shape is functional & iconic, unmistakably Lamy. There's always a few on the desk inked up & ready to go... spent all evening labelling CDs with mine tonite.

I'm trying to decide if I really want to buy a Lamy al star, just because it's an inexpensive pen and I kind of like the new color (pacific), but I'm not too fond of the shape. I like elegant pens like Aurora with it's nice clip design, and Pelikan with the nice sripes and nib shape. The lamy to me looks childis with the clip and ink window.

Did any of you had the same dilemma and bought the pen, and if so did you regret purchasing it? Do you use it as much as your Pelikan (if you have one) or other favourite pens?

I have an al star in the new colour pacific. Its a beautiful pen and it writes well. Definitely pick one up and of course pay for it dont just walk away with it. Well because it looks childish and wierd looking i had a safari which i use in school and it never got stolen because of the design and because many have the four finger grip or they cant use the triangular section.

I'm the same as you and never liked the way they looked, so I had never purchased one for myself. My mother in law went on a trip to Germany and bought one for me as a gift. It turns out I really like that pen! I end up using it fairly often, mainly around the house. My wife also loves it and prefers it to most of my other pens. Maybe it's psychological and she likes it better since she doesn't feel like it's as fragile as my other pens? Regardless, it's a great pen and I'm very happy to own it.

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

I have a couple of Al-Stars and don't ever regret buying them. I regularly use them when I'm ink testing or writing ink reviews. Once I have a converter full of ink in my Lamy Al-Star, it's so easy to remove the nib and stick a different one on without filling another pen. ;)

Go for it! Then buy several Lamy nibs. Presto! It's as many pens as the nibs you have for it.

Posted Image

Al-Stars and Safari are my "go-to" work pens. They are reliable and have fun colors which always get a lot of comments. And their converters hold more ink than other pen converters.

I have the Pacific and love it! It is probably my favorite Al-Star.

Just buy it! You won't regret it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hi Waltz, (et al),

I know exactly how you feel. :) I was raised in an Italian Baroque environment... and was taught early on... that "God (beauty) is in the details."

When I first saw the Safari line, I thought exactly like you... these are tasteless, juvenile pens, (it was designed to be, btw, it's a training pen),... the clip alone is ghastly, (but extremely effective and it won't damage your shirts - even the silk ones)... not to mention the oversized cap, etc. But so many people raved about these pens... I had to try one.

My first Lamy... my first fp... was an Ocean Blue Al-Star. I loved the dark metallic blue finish... it struck me as "automotive" in nature... which helped ease the transition for me. ;) The dark color also seemed to camouflage some of the pens inherent ugliness.

That was in late 2015... today... I still think the pen is ugly and very juvenile,... but I own 21 of them. ;)

I had the same problem with my beloved L2K; with the Bauhaus styling and drab, matte black finish... it struck me as "soulless and dead" when I first studied it. Today, it is my edc everywhere I go... and at home... it's always in my shirt pocket... and has been for the past 8-9 mos., (and I LOVE the texture and feel of it in my hand).

For some of us, the Bauhaus movement is harder to accept than for others... but as far as fp's are concerned, at least; it's well worth the jump. :thumbup:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to correct typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Just to follow-up... (I agree with needhelp & Dr. Penfection), I also have the Pacific Blue model... it is striking! Get one. :thumbup:

EDITED to add: Btw, today I think the L2K is a beautiful pen in its own right... sometimes, perception of beauty is an acquired taste. ;)

- Anthony

EDITED again to correct text. :headsmack:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Zero regrets, and I have seven Vistas; I see the Safari as a modern classic, a good utilitarian pen that also happens to be easy to clean, which is helpful with nice looking but troublesome inks like Rouge Hematite. The section might seem strange but it's comfortable to use.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have two Al-Stars. I can't use a stub nib with them, but have F EF B 1.1stub nibs. Tough. They are my EDC. I work maintenance and have even written on wood (not a good idea) with it.

Peace and Understanding

• 2 weeks later...

So, to let you all know, I ended up buying it on a whim, after initially decided not to buy it. I like the color a lot and it writes surprisingly good, as good as my Pelikan m600 but not as wet and finer, although the Lamy is M and the Pelikan F. The build quality is ok, except for the clip which is (bleep) (in my opinion).

I probably won't be buying another as my grip on the pen is exactly on the sharp edges, becase I tend to keep my elbow close to the body and not like they teach in school rested on the table, and you can't rotate the nib in the section, one or two millimeters would have been perfect and then I would definitely consider buying another one if I'd fancy the color. Cheers!

Enjoy, you might want to revise how you hold it, sounds painful!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

and you can't rotate the nib in the section, one or two millimeters would have been perfect and then I would definitely consider buying another one if I'd fancy the color. Cheers!

There is a "hack" for that. Someone modified his/her Vista so the nib rotates.

Unfortunately the blog has become a victim of Photobucket. http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.co.at/2013/06/lamy-safarivista-grip-adjustment.html

There is something to be said about the aesthetics of pens. If you don't have one that "speaks" to you, you won't use it. I have had a few that were very nice pens, but there was something visually about them I just didn't like, so they never got used.

Personally I love Lamys. I have probably 30 Al Stars/Safaris/Vistas. And I buy the new colors every time they come out, and search out older models on Ebay.

The good thing is they are easy to resell if you end up not liking it. I see them selling all the time for decent prices.

The good thing is they are easy to resell if you end up not liking it. I see them selling all the time for decent prices.

Maybe in your country is easy to sell, in mine not so. People are not so interested in pens. I personally don't know anyone interested in them, and my relatives think I am crazy for buying a Pelikan m600, whch is not even a very expensive pen, in the pen comunity. A few months ago I sold a Pelikan Ductus, and couldn't sell it for more than 110$ (inked 2 or 3 times), (I don't know how to sell on ebay), but the good part is I also got some very nice deals myself.

Edited by Waltz For Zizi

The Purple Lamy Al-Star was the first fountain pen I purchased, ever, this spring. Had huge problems with the nib (very dry writing and it had nib FLOOD, not nib creep). Changed out multiple nibs, and tried many inks, with the help of Goulet we determined that there was both a problem with the nibs (they replaced my first medium nib which I HAD purchased from them, the actual pen came from Amazon) and feed. In the interim I discovered the TWSBI 580 and wound up with two of them, as well as a Century 3776 and love all three of these pens (actually surprised how much I like the toothiness of the 3776 but that's another topic).

Back to the Al-Star. Before just disposing of it in frustration, I decided to give it one more chance with yet another nib - this one in fine. Loaded the cartridge converter with Bay State Blue and....lo and behold...the pen calmed right down and now writes like a dream. This was the 4th nib, and it could be the special nature of BSP is somehow addressing the suspected feed problem, but it now behaves very nicely. I do not like the triangle grip and never will, but it is now in my journal writing rotation at home, and it travels in my purse as my check writing pen. I really do like BSP, and these seems the best pen for that ink as I don't want to dedicate a demonstrator to it's awesome blue vibrancy.

Edited by Catrin

I'm starting to like the Lamy, not the grip, but how it writes. If only some of my other more expensive pens would write like this.. I'm looking at you Montegrappa Fortuna..