Bottle Of Midway Blue Unusually Wet?

C-town

Now, let me begin by stating that I LOVE wet pens and inks. As far as I'm concerned, the wetter the writing experience, the better. So now that I've said that, it should be clear that I'm not complaining when I say that a bottle of Noodler's Midway Blue I bought is VERRRRY wet. I mean, just tilting the nib towards the paper saturates the feed with ink and the nib gushes ink out onto the page. Luckily it isn't wet to the point of dripping or leaking and I found this feature to actually be a very pleasant one. I have tried the ink in multiple pens and all exhibit the same tendencies to saturate the feed and write thick, wet lines. I am very happy with the ink so far but I was wondering if others have had similar experiences with the ink. Please let me know if perhaps my bottle is merely a fluke or if other inks exhibit this quality.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• C-town

• eharriett

• The Good Captain

• cardigan33

Top Posters In This Topic

I clicked on this topic because I saw Midway Blue and I just cracked my sample of it LAST NIGHT to try it for the first time and love it. I must get a bottle!

That being said, I was actually a bit surprised at how medium I thought it was in terms of flow. Most of the other Noodlers V-Mail inks I'm trying (I got samples of them all), behaved like a real vintage ink and was very wet. And the Aircorp Blue Black is my daily work ink and it gushes -- not a V-mail ink but I believe it is pretty close. But this one, while not dry, didn't have the flow the others seemed to. I don't have enough experience with the ink to say which of ours is right, but my experience last night with it is different than yours.

I clicked on this topic because I saw Midway Blue and I just cracked my sample of it LAST NIGHT to try it for the first time and love it. I must get a bottle!

That being said, I was actually a bit surprised at how medium I thought it was in terms of flow. Most of the other Noodlers V-Mail inks I'm trying (I got samples of them all), behaved like a real vintage ink and was very wet. And the Aircorp Blue Black is my daily work ink and it gushes -- not a V-mail ink but I believe it is pretty close. But this one, while not dry, didn't have the flow the others seemed to. I don't have enough experience with the ink to say which of ours is right, but my experience last night with it is different than yours.

I wonder if perhaps the difference is due to inconsistencies between batches, bottles etc. The wetness I have experienced from my bottle of Midway Blue is unlike any other ink I have tried to date.

What about the pen? I, like you, prefer wet pens and nibs. I have a few drier pens I keep for especially wet inks though. Do you get the same issue when you use a different pen? I was using my tester pen last night simply because it is good medium for everything.

What about the pen? I, like you, prefer wet pens and nibs. I have a few drier pens I keep for especially wet inks though. Do you get the same issue when you use a different pen? I was using my tester pen last night simply because it is good medium for everything.

I have had the ink bottle for a few months now and the same thing happens even in my drier pens albeit to a lesser extent. I have tried the ink in an array of pens of differing character but they all seem to behave similarly with my bottle of Midway Blue.

I tried a sample of Midway Blue about a year ago. It did seem to run rather wet, though not quite to the the degree you mentioned. I actually liked the flow, but I was also using Japanese F points. The line ran nicely dark but not too thick. Though I liked the color v. much, I went with a different ink, as it was also feathering a bit more than I wanted. Your post is making me second guess my choice (just as I was eying a bottle of Sailor's Rikyu-cha...)

I Love the Midway Blue and you are right; it is a wet one! The Green and the violet are the other two colours in the series that I have. Midway is perfect in a couple of my TWSBIs which tend to write a little on the dry side but I'm using F and EF nibs on them, which seems to balance things out nicely.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi,

Also check your clean-up technique.

Any residue from a chemical (other than water) can leave residue that enhances flow. That's usually due to surfactant. So you might try to give your pen many plain or D.water flushes.

(Something to make you feel productive while watching golf on TV.)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Also check your clean-up technique.

Any residue from a chemical (other than water) can leave residue that enhances flow. That's usually due to surfactant. So you might try to give your pen many plain or D.water flushes.

(Something to make you feel productive while watching golf on TV.)

Bye,

S1

I only ever use water to clean my pens but good point!

Midway Blue is my favorite ink. I currently have three bottles, and I've inked from two of them, purchased years apart. I get consistent just-slightly-wetter-than-average performance from Midway Blue. So I suspect you've got a problem batch or you're dealing with an issue related to environment (cleaning method, humidity, that sort of thing.)