Diamine Ink Issues?

InkyKinkajou

I've used fountain pens off and on for the last ten years. But it's only recently that I really started to spread my inky wings.... and I crashed and burned a bit using Diamine.

I had been using Pilot Irishizuku Old Man Winter in my TWSBI 580 Diamond M. No problems, beautiful daily journaling.

I swapped to Diamine Amazing Amethyst. No problems, maybe wrote a little dry compared to the Irishizuku.

Then disaster. I inked up with Diamine Spring Green and the flow stopped completely. I took the pen apart and cleaned every single piece. It was clogged up from the ink compartment right through to the nib.

Full disclosure, I clean my pens each time I refill whether I change colour/ink or not. I also shake my ink bottles before I fill my pen/cartridge.

Pen completely clean I decided to try another Diamine shade, this time Salamander. Again from the get go my pen clogged up after a page of writing.

This time I had to soak the nib in a bowl of warm water. Out went the old and I went back to the Irishizuku ink. I haven't touched any of my Diamine's since and the pen is back to writing smooth again.

So, now I'm hesitant to use the Diamine's. I also have a Pilot Capless Black and White M, worried to put it in here. I also have a Parker, can't remember it's model but find it a little scratchy, but I could maybe try these in that with a converter.

Are Diamine inks usually this problematic or is it the pen, I've heard demonstrators can be a bit flighty? Or maybe operator error on my part? I'm really unsure what to do and any advice would be so gratefully received!

Thanks for reading my great long post!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InkyKinkajou

• Beechwood

• Chrissy

• Joane

Maybe it's your pen(s)? Or something else.

Diamines are generally very well behaved. I've had no such problems with Salamander or Amazing Amethyst using a wide variety of pens. Not used Spring Green.

According to my spreadsheet, Salamander has been used without issue in Pilot Falcon, Platinum 3776, Sailor Pro Gear, Pelikan m600, Pilot Capless. Amazing Amethyst in Pilot Falcon and Sailor PG.

Edited by Bluey

Maybe it's your pen(s)? Or something else.

Diamines are generally very well behaved. I've had no such problems with Salamander or Amazing Amethyst using a wide variety of pens. Not used Spring Green.

According to my spreadsheet, Salamander has been used without issue in Pilot Falcon, Platinum 3776, Sailor Pro Gear, Pelikan m600, Pilot Capless. Amazing Amethyst in Pilot Falcon and Sailor PG.

This is the thing I trawled through reviews on here before picking these inks and couldn't find a bad word about them anywhere.

I wondered if it was my TWSBI, but if it was the pen wouldn't it still be happening with whatever ink I'm using?

Hmmm, wondering if I should bite the proverbial bullet and try them in my Parker.

This is the thing I trawled through reviews on here before picking these inks and couldn't find a bad word about them anywhere.

I wondered if it was my TWSBI, but if it was the pen wouldn't it still be happening with whatever ink I'm using?

Hmmm, wondering if I should bite the proverbial bullet and try them in my Parker.

I have read that Diamine inks should not be used in older pens. And I have also read that the yellows and oranges may leave nib crud. But, the vast majority of the reviews I have read about Diamine inks are good - good flow, well behaved, etc.

Truthfully, I have just started using Diamine inks myself. I love Diamine Bilberry and have had no problems with it. So, I have ventured further and purchased Woodland Green and have had no issues. I have used both of these inks in a wide range of pens from Lamys to Deltas and have had no problems.

But, I have learned that if you don't have "faith" in the ink, return to something reliable - Waterman inks, Pilot Iroshizukus, etc.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

My only Diamine ink is Grape, and I've had problems with flow in almost every pen, despite writing with my pens every day and flushing after every fill. I know Diamine makes dozens of inks with different characteristics, and the highly respected Richard Binder recommends them--with the noteworthy exception of those containing red dyes:

"Some Diamine colors, however, especially their reds and colors containing red dyes, such as pinks, violets, oranges, and browns, appear more prone to clogging issue, and these inks have much lower scores." (from http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/care/inks.htm)

I confess that, never having had problems with ink of any other brand, I have not personally been tempted to buy another Diamine ink, but as you can see on the forum, a great many people are passionate about them.

I have had problems with a handful of Diamine inks - clogging, staining, SITB, nib crud - but the majority have been OK. I do find some them a bit underwhelming, performance & colour-wise.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I have only used two Diamine inks, Umber Green and 1846 Blue Black, in Parker, Montblanc and Inoxcrom pens. Love the colours and they write smooth as silk in those pens, with nibs sized XF, F and OM, so far. I am very impressed by those two and, at the same time, glad to be forewarned that different colours may have different texture characteristics. Will tread carefully in choosing any new colours. Thanks.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I have had very good luck with Diamine. The only one I can remember clogging was Majestic Blue.

I'm definitely going to give these inks another go in all of my pens, maybe not my Capless.... quite protective of my Stormtrooper Capless ;)

But I have a feeling maybe when I totally took apart the TWSBI I might have solved the real issue, we'll see I guess. I refuse to give up on these inks now.

Thanks for all the replies. It's been so helpful getting some feedback!

I have had no clogging problems with any of the Diamine inks I've used in my pens. I have never tried a TWSBI pen though. I would certainly try your Diamine inks in different pens before you throw them away.

When you found your pen wouldn't write while using the Spring Green, I would be interested to know if the only remnants of ink in there when you 'took everything apart and cleaned every single piece' were only light green. It's possible that you may have had a reaction to two different brands of inks inside the narrow channels of your pen, if you hadn't taken everything apart for cleaning previously. :)

I've found that sometime the same ink tend to clog one pen, and less another pen.

Therefore I'm convinced that clogging is a combination of 2 factors: ink + pen.

An example: Oxblood. It clogged one of my pens, and now I'm using the same bottle of ink in a different pen without any issue.

I consider diamine good inks with good price. The weakest point for me is the low water resistance of many of them.

I have had no clogging problems with any of the Diamine inks I've used in my pens. I have never tried a TWSBI pen though. I would certainly try your Diamine inks in different pens before you throw them away.

When you found your pen wouldn't write while using the Spring Green, I would be interested to know if the only remnants of ink in there when you 'took everything apart and cleaned every single piece' were only light green. It's possible that you may have had a reaction to two different brands of inks inside the narrow channels of your pen, if you hadn't taken everything apart for cleaning previously. :)

Well when I changed from Old Man Winter to Amazing Amethyst I flushed cleaned the pen. Then again from Amazing Amethyst to Spring Green I flushed it through. Bearing in mind this is how I clean all my pens and I'm thorough.

When I went from Spring Green to Salamander I took the whole pen apart and cleaned it ultra thoroughly. Then in with Salamander and it did the same thing. So again I had to take her apart and deep clean her again. Back to Old Man Winter and she's now perfect.

I do see what you're saying about ink residue. But surely if it was a reaction the Salamander would have worked.

I think different pen time to check these puppies out is my best bet. Only issue is it's with my Parker Sonnet... we're not on speaking terms though ;)

I've found that sometime the same ink tend to clog one pen, and less another pen.

Therefore I'm convinced that clogging is a combination of 2 factors: ink + pen.

An example: Oxblood. It clogged one of my pens, and now I'm using the same bottle of ink in a different pen without any issue.

I consider diamine good inks with good price. The weakest point for me is the low water resistance of many of them.

Thank you for the input, I do think I need to try these in a different pen like you say! At the moment I have my Pilot Capless Nd a Parker Sonnet, the latter can be fickle so it's not a perfect testing bed with the pens I have! I'm not giving up though!

Thank you for the input, I do think I need to try these in a different pen like you say! At the moment I have my Pilot Capless Nd a Parker Sonnet, the latter can be fickle so it's not a perfect testing bed with the pens I have! I'm not giving up though!

I have had similar clogging problems with Diamine in both of my Twsbi pens, I have discussed this with Diamine who say that it can happen.

The other issue that I have had is that the Diamine ink has stained the barrel, no other ink seems to cause this problem.

Best of luck in resolving this issue.

I have had similar clogging problems with Diamine in both of my Twsbi pens, I have discussed this with Diamine who say that it can happen.

The other issue that I have had is that the Diamine ink has stained the barrel, no other ink seems to cause this problem.

Best of luck in resolving this issue.

So TWSBI and Diamine may not play nice together? That is very interesting. I wonder if it's the chemical mix of the ink maybe reacting with the build materials of the TWSBIs?

I'm in the process of giving my Sonnet a good clean so I can give this theory a try.

So TWSBI and Diamine may not play nice together? That is very interesting. I wonder if it's the chemical mix of the ink maybe reacting with the build materials of the TWSBIs?

Hi InkyKinkajou,

This could very well be... IIRC, TWSBI warns not to use alcohol to clean their pens... well, some inks contain alcohol so that they'll dry quicker.

Unfortunately, we do not know which inks have it and which do not; sometimes you can smell it... sometimes you can't. :unsure:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Good luck with the ink in your Sonnet, as you may know - some people love the Parker Sonnet and others have problems with the gold ring that secures the nib assembly, this can work loose causing ink loss into the cap and then onto your fingers.

I have owned 4 sonnets and had many more in for repair, all with this problem, even sent some back to Parker to see if they could address the issue permanently, without success. Other Sonnet owners have no issues at all and love them lets hope that your is one of those.

Good luck with the ink in your Sonnet, as you may know - some people love the Parker Sonnet and others have problems with the gold ring that secures the nib assembly, this can work loose causing ink loss into the cap and then onto your fingers.

I have owned 4 sonnets and had many more in for repair, all with this problem, even sent some back to Parker to see if they could address the issue permanently, without success. Other Sonnet owners have no issues at all and love them lets hope that your is one of those.

Well in all the years I've had this pen it's always been a tad scratchy. As for leaking, I've had the odd leakage but nothing major. Although I have to admit, now I've got my two newer pens they make my Sonnet feel like hard work! I just put up with it :)

They tend to be all over the place.

Sargasso Sea is basically tar. It will clog, never fully dry on paper, etc. Majestic Blue is almost as bad.

Sapphire ate the sac in one pen and the diaphragm in another.

On the flip side : ASA and Mediterranean Blue are well-behaved and beautiful blues. Ancient Copper is an elegant red-brown with just a hint of sheen.

I have a several more (went through a Diamine phase 3 years ago) but these were the ones I'd thought to mention.

Lately I find myself to use only Pelikan 4001, Montblanc and Rohrer u. Klingner inks.

-k

Edited by katerchen