The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cross Peerless - Fine Or Extra Fine Nib?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 20:39

Good evening, I'm thinking about purchasing the Cross Peerlees 125 and I am hesitating between the Fine and the Extra Fine nib. I usually prefer Extra Fine nibs, but a couple of years ago I had to sell my Sailor 1911, because its Extra Fine line was really too thin for me... So, I just wanted to know how does the Cross/Sailor EF perform. Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 22:56

I don't know how a 125 EF performs, but I have an M and it writes like a Western fine -- maybe finer than that.

#3 BillZ

BillZ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:27

I have the Peerless 125 with the Sailor XF nib. I also have two other pens with Sailor nibs(1) A Taccia Savanna with an F nib and a 1911 Large with the H-MF nib. The 125 and the Taccia lay about the same width line. The 1911 slightly wider. I have the Cross inked with Cross Black cartridge. The Taccia is inked with a Sailor Jentle blue cartridge. The 1911 is inked with a Sailor black cartridge. All three are SUPERB writers! I am partial to Japanese F nibs. I can believe that Russ's writes like a Western F. You write that the 1911 EF was "too thin" for you. Did you try it with different brands and colours of ink? That can make a difference. Good luck with your choice. I feel that either will satisfy you.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

#4 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:38

I have the Peerless 125 with the Sailor XF nib. I also have two other pens with Sailor nibs(1) A Taccia Savanna with an F nib and a 1911 Large with the H-MF nib. The 125 and the Taccia lay about the same width line. The 1911 slightly wider. I have the Cross inked with Cross Black cartridge. The Taccia is inked with a Sailor Jentle blue cartridge. The 1911 is inked with a Sailor black cartridge. All three are SUPERB writers! I am partial to Japanese F nibs. I can believe that Russ's writes like a Western F. You write that the 1911 EF was "too thin" for you. Did you try it with different brands and colours of ink? That can make a difference. Good luck with your choice. I feel that either will satisfy you.

Many thanks (same for Russ) for this detailed answer, really helpful ! The 1911 was mostly used with Waterman Florida Blue: since I always scan my handwritten notes, I needed a slightly wider and darker line. That being said, the 1911 EF was a perfect smooth writer. I will keep you posted!

#5 JungleJim

JungleJim

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 20:22

You might want to check nibmeister John Mottishaw's website where he has the actual tipping sizes of various pen makers. The Cross Peerless 125 actually runs smaller than western style nibs because the nibs are made by Sailor. I hope to someday add a 125 to my meager collection.

link:  https://www.nibs.com...b-tipping-sizes

All the Best.

#6 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 21:09

You might want to check nibmeister John Mottishaw's website where he has the actual tipping sizes of various pen makers. The Cross Peerless 125 actually runs smaller than western style nibs because the nibs are made by Sailor. I hope to someday add a 125 to my meager collection.

link:  https://www.nibs.com...b-tipping-sizes

All the Best.

Thank you, very useful!

#7 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:26

I have the peerless with the Zoom nib.  I tested the XF and the F in the store.  They are definitely made by sailor and therefore are definitely finer than their western counterparts.  If you found the 1911 EF to be too fine, I would probably go with the Fine for the Peerless. But it would be nice if you coudl try each at their store in Providence, RI.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Flexible Music Nib from any brand in any usable condition with or without a pen.

2. User Grade Parker Vacumatic in Red.

Sponsored Content

|