The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Wahl Eversharp Confession

wahl decoband flexible vintage modern

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 19:01

Dear all,

I'm hooked to Wahl Eversharp pens.

And I'm here to admit that (with perhaps a short quasi-question).

It didn't happened by design or by my own will - but by coincidence and through circumstances.

When I got into flexible nibs, vintage pens and so on - and started to investigate more, I was drawn by default to Waterman pens. What I have seen and read it was sufficient for me to believe that's the way to go.

While trying to find a decent 52 with super-flexible nib, one that writes exactly as what I've seen in videos and reviews, photos... I ended up purchasing two Wahl pens. One Gold Seal Victory, and one Penrite - Tempoint.

I've tried my pens, wrote with them for some time and although I was quite happy with performance - I never really thought much about them. I was searching for Waterman's with that ... unicorn nibs.

And so - I've got my Waterman 52, 42, another 42, 54, 56, 3V, 52-1/2V, 52V... few more 52's... several 94's... 100 YR Pen, Commando, Nurse's Pen, 12 and 13 eyedroppers... and that gorgeous 58 woodgrain. Few had extra-flexible nibs, one or two with super-flexible wet noodle nibs, most have flexible or semi-flexible nibs and several manifolds.

All in all - I was buying Waterman's almost indiscriminately, sometimes just for a nib.

In that process I have picked up few Wahl pens. Usually, I'd look at them, see if they have any flex, and if they are in decent condition, so if the price is right (i.e. if I won't notice it in end of month statements) - I'd buy them.

So I've got one Decoband Equipoised with Flexible nib (written on the nib) and one - no clue what the model is, gold filled with #5 long nib...

And then I saw new Decoband Rosewood (and blue lapis) with superflex nib in our local store- tried it too.

So I have to admit - only few of my Waterman's pens come close to quality of build or writing experience of my Wahl's. And - I keep reaching for them first (WE's).

I probably won't stop looking at and buying good Waterman's - but it's the Wahl Eversharp what really I started to appreciate more.

Thus the semi-question: those who have new Decobands - I'm torn between Rosewood hard rubber and Blue (celluloid?). Considering hard rubber being more sensitive (I think) - does celluloid material make more sense? Is there any considerable differences to take into account before I spend 800 USD or more?

Thank you!

Sponsored Content

#2 webgeckos

webgeckos

The Gooder Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:00

I wanted to hate them because the Doric is boxy yet art-deco-y, hence they confused me. My twin gave me one. I write with it every day. A soft and flexy nib, trustworthy pen.

#3 Strelnikoff

Strelnikoff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:23

I wanted to hate them because the Doric is boxy yet art-deco-y, hence they confused me. My twin gave me one. I write with it every day. A soft and flexy nib, trustworthy pen.

Something like that. I didn't like the name :)  And I really don't like art-deco ...  :D  but WE pens are ... well, they seem sturdier, more reliable than Waterman's. Except perhaps Waterman celluloids. 

In any case - I have more respect for the brand, and may go for the big new 800 bucks worth of pen. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wahl, decoband, flexible, vintage, modern

Sponsored Content

|