Hello From Belfast

GeoffreyHautecouverture

Hello everyone,

​I started to read some topics here a few weeks ago. I am a Frenchman living in Belfast since nearly three years now. I recently rediscovered the fountain pens. I used to write with a fountain pen before, and stopped to use it suddenly when I was a young student. I mainly used some gel pens up to now, mainly because taking fast notes was not practical with my old parker. As far as I remember I was using a parker vector with black ink cartridges. To me it was a good pen if you do not write too fast. Where I work we have two meetings a year with industrials -I am a last year PhD student- and all students are smart dressed, a good pen can be an instrument to impress people. I started to look at some good pens to take with me at the meeting and I bough a blue and gold Zebra Sharbo X TS10. This pen looks beautiful, but it is a multi-pen loaded with a mechanical pencil and three oil ink cartridge. So I started to look at some blue and gold fountain pens to take along the TS10. The only one I found was the Parker Duofold Prestige with blue chevrons and gold trim to be gorgeous. It looks perfect but it is pricey to me -above £450. Finally I took a look to aliexpress and eventually bought a Chinese BAOER 801. It is like the Parker I had but with a bigger nib, not bad for the price. Of course, I knew that I paid for what I get, but I did not plan to use it a lot. When I get it, it was a revelation, writing with a fountain pen when you do no need to rush. There is no way back now. So I started to look around and found some very nice pen and get addicted to them.

​Finally in few months I bough two Picasso fountain pens, one 915 with a red celluloid barrel, and a 923 with a red barrel and a gold nib. Now I am looking for a Picasso 923 with a red lacquer box. I am surprised on how easy it is to fall into buying pens. When I saw this forum I instantly liked the way people are talking about inks and fountain pens, I lurked for few weeks and finally joined it. I will not be a very active member but I will probably write few topics, since there is nothing on some of the pens I have.

Geoffrey Hautecouverture

Edited by GeoffreyHautecouverture

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeoffreyHautecouverture

• mallymal1

• Carrau

• Splodge

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Bonjour Goeffrey! bienvenue au réseau FPN, d'un canadien-français qui vit maintenant à Berkeley, Californie!

PS: please continue to share your fountain pen experience and appreciation of the pens you have tried!

François

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. It sounds as though you are enjoying your new found avocation.

Mike

Welcome !

Gel pens are not faster than fountain pens. At the turn of the century (1899/1901), the speed record for shorthand was set, using a Parker Lucky Curve. The record remains unbroken to this day.

I hope you will share photographs of your Picasso fountain pens.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi Sasha,

​Well my problem was mainly related to the time of drying, maybe because of the ink I was using. Until a few months ago my knowledge on fountain pen was limited to how to change a cartridge. I recently read a lot of articles on adjusting the nib, and on the quality of ink. I am writing a small review on the Picasso PS-915, I am editing some pictures at the moment. You will all be better judge than me concerning the quality of a pen so I will post a lot of pictures.

​Geoffrey

Hello Geoffrey and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...