The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Help Identifying: 1920's Sheaffer's 14K Flat Top Pen & Pencil Set

flat top sheaffer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DPBrown

DPBrown

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2017 - 22:14

Hello!

I've been searching on and off for a while about a pen & pencil set I came across about 3 years back. I just found this forum and would love to figure out exactly what it is I have and hopefully some appraisal info as well. Thanks!

fK0cdFIm.jpg

XSSx5sNm.jpg

wffDtP1m.jpg

R0f9VmIm.jpg

mEGS2mFm.jpg

gs5jKyBm.jpg

OxHsKLBm.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:50

Very nice early 1920s set. Not uncommon in gold filled, but hard to find in solid 14K. If you are interested in selling or trading, do let me know! Sheaffer isn't as widely collected as brands such as Parker or Waterman, but it still has a following.

best

David

#3 wekiva98

wekiva98

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:51

I'm one of those followers David Nishimura mentioned. Is it marked 14K on the barrel and cap, or is 14K just a refernce to the nib? Either way it's desirable, but it affects the price. Condition also is big deal. If you're interested in selling, I'd also like to know more.

Greg Miller

Edited by wekiva98, 23 July 2017 - 13:11.

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 21:54

OK, things I can tell from your pictures are that it has a 3 nib and the pattern.  This is a 38LC if gold plated and a 388LC if solid 14K from approximately 1923.  Matching a pen with a pencil was a Wahl innovation that Sheaffer quickly followed and Sheaffer called theirs Giftie Sets.  For the gold filled prices have been higher but, I'd say currently it would be $150-200.  If it is the 14K solid set it is pretty rare for Sheaffer - I have very few solid 14K Sheaffer flattops.  A set like this should bring something north of $500 in what looks to be clean condition.

Roger W.

#5 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:14

Beautifu set. If I were you I would keep the set, restore it and enjoy using it.
Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flat top, sheaffer

Sponsored Content

|