Pink Pen? Platinum Lilas Or Sailor Demonstrator?

mamajones

I am normally a Pelikan person as I like a wet, broad-nibbed pen. But I do like bright colors. So I've been looking at the Platinum #3776 Nice Lilas since it came out. And lately I've seen a Sailor Pro-Gear Demonstrator in bright pink. I do understand that the broad nib in either of these will be closer to a Pelikan medium, not a nib size I would normally choose, but I've been longing for that pink-colored Lilas pen. Then I saw the Sailor. Sigh.

Since I live far away from any pen stores, I can't compare them in person. So I thought I'd ask the Japanese pen experts if any of you has any thoughts about either of these pens that would help me make up my mind.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mamajones

• FOUR X FOUR

• Sandy1

• LuckyKate

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have Pelikan M400s with M-sized nibs, they are comparable with broad Japanese nibs. And don't forget, Platinum nibs are finer than Sailor nibs. But Platinum has a nib size "C" which is certainly good for you.

See here a discussion (FPN internal LINK) - all sizes compared at the very end of the linked page.

Edited by mke

Hey mamajones. Unless you're just flat out dead set on a Japanese pen, a pink Lamy safari with a broad nib is a great idea. Plus, you'll save a bundle of cash. If you're hard fixed on a Japanese pen I'd go with the Sailor pro gear Demonstrator in bright pink.

Allan😀😀

Hey mamajones. Unless you're just flat out dead set on a Japanese pen, a pink Lamy safari with a broad nib is a great idea. Plus, you'll save a bundle of cash. If you're hard fixed on a Japanese pen I'd go with the Sailor pro gear Demonstrator in bright pink.

Allan

+1

My stateside nieces gifted me with my 1st Pink Safari, perhaps hoping that I'd "lighten-up".

I was a tomboy orphan, so didn't have a 'pink princess' phase growing-up, Seems a bit late, but I'm with it.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

My Platinum Lilas is so pretty and looks like a genie ought to live in it. I use it to grade and it cheers me up. Plus I love Platinum nibs.

I also have a Pro-gear, not the demonstrator, but a metallic blue which is very understated and small. The nib is lovely and it also suits my hand.

I like both these pens much much better than my lamy Al-stars and Safaris (I have four of those that work plus three that don't). The Lamys do wear out with heavy use (my green aluminum is now faded to almost plain steel. They all leak at the section. The caps don't snap on anymore, and it costs as much to replace the cap as to buy a new pen). As for the Platinum and Sailor, I haven't had them nearly as long as the Lamys, which admittedly saw very heavy use over many years.

Thanks for all your replies. Lots to think about...

Allan

The problem is that I'm not dead set on a Japanese pen, just longing for a translucent pink pen for some reason. (Like Sandy1, I was never a pink princess, but I did have a fuschia phase as a teenager!) And of course, money is always a consideration, but I am willing to spend the money to get a nice pen that I will really love.

A Lamy pen is a great suggestion (and I like them), but the pink Safari is not quite what I'm looking for. As for other pink pens, I also considered the Nemosine Singularity demonstrators, but I tried one of their nibs for a different pen and didn't like really like it. (And yes, I have seen the Pink Tortoise Pelikan M600, but that price is waaay out of my league!)

In the end, LuckyKate's argument is very compelling to me: anything that could possibly cheer me up when I grade is worth buying!

I still have a few more days before I can buy anything, so any other suggestions and thoughts would be gratefully received!

Hey mama jones. The reason I have the pink Lamy safari is because I bought it for my wife. She was still a Police lieutenant and she needed something a little easier to work with. So, I put the pink pen away and bought her a nice roller ball. Then Allen Robinson #15 starting wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars moves in next door. His wife was really into pink stuff, so I gave it to her her as a Christmas present. Then I find out she doesn't care for fountain pens. I took it back and bought her a pink pair of sneakers. Now I'm stuck with a 4 year old, but brand new pink Lamy safari. It actually has some provenance. It was owned by the wife of an NFL Pro Bowl Wide Receiver. Now that my wife has retired, maybe she'll use it when she writes thank you cards. I can't use it because I'm not secure enough in my masculinity. LOL😀.

This was probably just a bunch of useless info. I'm just still loopy from the meds I'm on from my shoulder operation.

Allan😀😀

Hey mama jones. The reason I have the pink Lamy safari is because I bought it for my wife. She was still a Police lieutenant and she needed something a little easier to work with. So, I put the pink pen away and bought her a nice roller ball. Then Allen Robinson #15 starting wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars moves in next door. His wife was really into pink stuff, so I gave it to her her as a Christmas present. Then I find out she doesn't care for fountain pens. I took it back and bought her a pink pair of sneakers. Now I'm stuck with a 4 year old, but brand new pink Lamy safari. It actually has some provenance. It was owned by the wife of an NFL Pro Bowl Wide Receiver. Now that my wife has retired, maybe she'll use it when she writes thank you cards. I can't use it because I'm not secure enough in my masculinity. LOL.

This was probably just a bunch of useless info. I'm just still loopy from the meds I'm on from my shoulder operation.

Allan

Actually Allan, I thought that was very interesting -- I'm from Wisconsin, so football is part of my blood (which is not red, of course, but green and gold!) If your pink Lamy is from 2009, it may be worth some money: I see them going on ebay for around $80 because it is some kind of limited edition.

Well, I decided to order the Platinum Lilas and see if I like it, especially since it is a limited edition and may sell out. I'll let you all know what I think. Thanks again for the advice.

I do not think both of those Demo are actually bright pink. But then they are Demo(s) .... I've seen some real bright pink or solid pink pen but those generally are finished as is by material or metal with lacquered paint job. Pink is a very difficult color to deal with; too light and its looking pastel and too bright it became fuschia, too solid and it look dull. the best implementation I've seen is always those lacquered pen ( metal barrel ) and I think the top clear coat had to do with the depth it give but allow the color not to be over powering. The Pelikan is more a real loud hot pink than real pinkish pink