Blue Ink Closest To R = 0 G = 0 And Blue = 255

suharsh

Title says it all ... is there a blue ink that would be close to RGB values of 0,0 and 255? Want to avoid permanent types like Baystate blue.

RGB of 0,0, 255 sample in Microsoft Word

Edited by suharsh

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suharsh

• LizEF

• Chrissy

• Astronymus

It's almost what I would call a Blurple: A purplish blue. :)

From my swabs it looks similar to Platinum Mix Free Aurora Blue, J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir, Montblanc Royal Blue, Diamine Cornflower, Diamine Sapphire Blue, Diamine WES Imperial Blue. I would try checking out Google images of purplish blue inks.

Or look at reviews in the Ink Reviews forum

You might like Monteverde Malibu Blue. Goulet has it on reduced price at present.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks I do have Diamine Sapphire, MB Royal Blue and J Herbin Sapphire ... they might be close .... maybe Noodlers baystate blue is what I will go for ... I am worried about ink not coming off from fingers easily.

I will check out the MV Malibu blue. Thanks for the tip.

I have Pantone color cards. Blue 072 C is closest to what you want (not exact, but close). Of the following inks, Visconti Blue was closest to that, but probably not close enough...

• Visconti Blue
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao
  • Montblanc Royal Blue
  • Montblanc Permanent Blue
  • Platinum Pigmented Blue
  • Sailor Nioi-sumire

I have Pantone color cards. Blue 072 C is closest to what you want (not exact, but close). Of the following inks, Visconti Blue was closest to that, but probably not close enough...

• Visconti Blue
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao
  • Montblanc Royal Blue
  • Montblanc Permanent Blue
  • Platinum Pigmented Blue
  • Sailor Nioi-sumire

Thanks. I liked the Irohizuku.

Thanks. I liked the Irohizuku.

Yeah, it's pretty close, but the Visconti Blue seemed a little closer.

Hi,

With respect:

No such thing. FP ink aniline dyes are impure.

When doing Ink Reviews I used to include a read-out of the RGB+Lx values from my scanner, but realised those numbers added-up to nothing : FP ink is dye-based, not a pigment, so the best intentioned attempts to render it as a constant (K) is a short-cut to nowhere . I'd rather navigate the inky seas by dead reckoning and my own compass rose than some flaky read-out. :)

Bye,

S1

__ __

X-Ref : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/196998-one-of-the-ten-blue-inks/?p=1997029

Plus International Klein Blue https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316316-international-klein-blue/?p=3748032

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

To further complicate things --

What an ink looks like to your eyes depends on the ratio of the different types of cones in your eyeball. We are all different, but some are more different than others.

Further, what an ink looks like to your eyes can be achieved by one dye, or a blend of dyes.

However, what an ink looks like to a scanner will depend on whether it is one dye, or a blend.

As Sandy1 says, don't bother selecting an ink by its RGB values. Just find a colour that you like, put up a swatch, and ask what matches it.

Finally, what the ink will look like on your paper will depend on your pen. You can take a pure blue ink, and depending on the wetness of your nib, it can range from a light sky blue to a deep, dark indigo.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Title says it all ... is there a blue ink that would be close to RGB values of 0,0 and 255? Want to avoid permanent types like Baystate blue.

RGB of 0,0, 255 sample in Microsoft Word

You can't replicate RGB colors in ink as RGB are additive colors produced by light. Not even all screens will display "your" blue - except you calibrate them. The users of this board see another blue than you on their screen.

Ink is in the world of substractive colors which are produced by absorbtion due to dye or pigments. You can't really reproduce additive colors with substractive colors. You may have noticed when you tried to print out pictures and Word documents. And as most inks are translucent the color of the paper will change the color of your written word as well.

Edited by Astron

Thanks to one and all.

no ... the RGB values were used to give an idea of what I was looking for ... otherwise it would be difficult to express in words which blue I was looking for.

Yes I agree with all the above posts on how colors can be perceived differently ... forget about from one person to another ... just the variables of pen, nib and paper .. for the same person the color will look different. For e.g. DeAtramentis Fucshia ... the swab on the pen store showed it to be 'pink' like ... I have a daughter and almost everything in our house now is purple and pink ... so I bought it. I filled it in one of the medium nib pens and the ink looked more towards brown! Only when I had filled a Fine nib pen ... did the pink show up!

I am almost concluding that Baystate blue is what i am looking for. If it weren't for the issue of removing the stains easily from fingers ... I will still buy it. I intend to write about 300 to 500 (one page letters) to my daughter so that she can read them after I am gone ... will use this color for some of the letter ... put a latex glove on, so as not to worry about staining the fingers.

I also searched for alternatives to Baystate blue ... many threads on it but seems ... it is one of kind ink.

I recently bought Levenger Cobalt blue ..(from the color sample on their web page) but it isn't even close.

Why so worried about ink on your fingers? It doesn't appear to be harmful. And that never happens when writing with a functional pen, so it's only filling you need to worry about. With BSB, I would worry more about how quickly it fades - for letters you want to last decades, BSB isn't what you want. There are threads about what inks fade - pick from those. As a daughter, I can say this is the kind of thing I would want to last for generations.

I would dissuade the BSB. BSB has a hint of red/purple. It's also hard to say if the writing will last long enough for your daughter to read. It can fade terribly quickly under less than ideal conditions. And even if it doesn't fade, the "pop" of BSB is harsh on the eyes. You won't be able to read more than a page at a time.

Maybe Noodler's Liberty Elysium. I found that to be a much purer blue than BSB. It also has permanent "bulletproof" components that should last for the next generation or longer.

Does Eclat de saphir by J.Herbin come close? There are some Reviews, no doubt. I haven't used it myself so far.

I wouldn't use Baystate Blue in any of my pens, but if it's the only ink you can find in that sort of colour then it's up to you. They are your pens. :huh:

I echo the anti-BSB sentiments for this project. Not the right tool for the job. Fades way too much. Choose an ink known to have some longevity.

Baystate Blue stains but is not fade-resistant. If you intend to keep your writings for more than a few months I would get a more document/archive quality ink.

I'll just go ahead and say the OP is way over my head. However, it does look like BSB.

Allan😀😀

Thanks for the many comments on not using BSB ... ok will use BSB only for other writings and not 'archival' purpose. I guess for that I will just use some other colors and whatever blue is available.

Regarding the finger stains ... I haven't written with BSB ... but just the perception I got from reading the threads about it being a stubborn ink. Also not to forget TWF (The wife factor)! In my case it is a very strong point to consider.

So far for regular / daily writing J Herbin Sapphire, Iroshizuku Asa-gao, Visconti Blue and Diamine Sapphire appear to be close match. I had some writing samples from the Chicago Pen Show, Kaweco Royal Blue also seems to be a good match.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'll just go ahead and say the OP is way over my head. However, it does look like BSB.
Allan

English is not my first language, so if I have not been clear, pardon me.

Edited by suharsh

I love the BSB, but it has a very strong "personality"

The alternative I use for it is Iroshizuku Asa-gao. Of the alternatives you sum up this is the closest one, but much more friendlier then BSB :-)