Yesterday's Find: 2 Parkers & A What?

CrossFoot

From the wilds and would like some ID help please. Found these two Parkers and a ? no name from semi-local antique store; 20% off, blue light special sale for $16.54. :D Picture is terrible but at least proves "it" happened.

1. Parker "51", T stamped from 2nd Qtr. 1947 in cordovan. Pen is in fantastic shape. Color is very even with no fading that I can see. Continuous thin line, gold filled cap, free of dings or dents and bottom stamped: 1/10 16K GOLD FILLED over MADE IN USA. Is the 16K common? Also is split arrow blue diamond, coin stacked clip. Jewel appears to be the grey plastic.
  2. Parker Vac. Date code should make it 1st Qtr 1940. based on dimensions it seems to be a Maxima Speedline but possibly an Imperial given the two-tone arrow nib (7vane), gold filled cap and long slender black section. I guess the color is the Golden Pearl and barrel clarity is excellent. Doesn't appear to be much if any ink staining ​to my eye, even down at the section area. The usual micro scratches and a bit of scuffing one one side of barrel where cap lip makes contact but that is it. As with the "51" this has good to excellent readable imprint over 90%. The cap is another gold filled one with alternating 2 straight lines a space and then two wavy lines, except where the double border window is. Unlike the "51", this pen has 2 small breather holes opposing one-another on the cap. Thankfully, there is no engraving or personalization anywhere. However, there are 4-5, small dings or dents plus a couple deep scratches, yet not through the gold plating that I can observe. The stamping at the bottom of this cap reads: 1/10 - 14 KT GOLD FILLED over MADE IN USA. A slightly bowed outward split arrow, blue diamond, coin stacked clip adorns the cap. The 2 jewels are peaked and look like they are made from black plastic and match. This is my 1st "Vac" and should make a great writer in my line up.
  3. A pen with no name and possibly no pedigree, but is extremely petite if not cute. This pen is about 3-13/16" in length capped. Grey or grey-green with dark(greenish) and light(silverish) striations running its length. I believe the barrel end tapers a modest amount. Kinda weird but the surface, while evenly polished, is open grained as if pin cushioned. The section is polished black, but I am not sure if rubber or plastic. A possible fatal flaw is a bulge in the barrel on each side of the cut out (coffin shaped) for the lever where the pin traverses. The gold plated lever has a raised flat rib that runs down center-line to the round "spoon", which has an ornate wreath design on its outer face. The nib is in awesome shape, can't even see scratches with 10x, but I'm sure they're there. It is marked "WARRANTED" and 14 KT. The feed is about 3/16" across its flat which makes the nib's tip look huge. I swear it is an italic or possibly OB type. Okay guys and gals ... Who am I?, the little pen asks.

Thanks for listening and feel free to fill in any and all details for me. I try to study enough to appear dangerous, but I know most of you folk are the real pros.

I am actually rather excited to get the Vac up and running. Thinking of doing both repairs myself if needed. :unsure:

post-135325-0-32316600-1500596783_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrossFoot

• FarmBoy

• Brian-McQueen

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not know that the Vac came with a metal cap.

I need to go look in my book.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Some did, and they were and are a still bit pricey.

I did not know that the Vac came with a metal cap.

I need to go look in my book.

Imperial. I tried to get you to buy one.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

And what is a stacked coin clip?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

And what is a stacked coin clip?

Okay, I get it, poor nomenclature. :doh: Thought I had read such a thing describing the stepped ring at top of clip. How 'bout the correct term then? Did some have different # of steps?

The Vac is an Imperial! Incredible find! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Congratulations!

A Parker Vacumatic Imperial is an excellent choice for a first vac!

Excellent find at throwaway price. Congrats especially on finding the Vac Imperial. Enjoy using them (and not selling them). :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks everyone.

I just stumbled onto these plain and simple. I'm not the kind of guy that finds the "grail" in any of my pursuits. I knew what the Vac was having never see/handled one before, as one was on my vintage short list. They seem kinda pricey in the market place so I was surprised to find one in this shape and in the wild, let alone being an Imperial. The "51" I recognized immediately and looked almost new to me.

Even though neither Parker will draw ink, I'm still quite happy with this find.

Wow. That's an incredible find. Getting just *one* of those Parkers would make you Sumgai of the Week -- and you got BOTH of them? Nice going -- and can I go shopping with you? I thought I was doing well on Wednesday for finding a Cross Verve for a buck in a thrift store that specializes in arts and crafts stuff....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."