Hamburg Difficulties - Any Suggestions?

rube1

This March I took a very deep plunge and purchased a new Hitchcock from an authorised dealer (by far my most expensive purchase to date). Filled the pen perhaps twice. The nib was skippy so decided to take advantage of the nib exchange program (and requested an OBB- also a first...).

I received a response from MB via my local boutique (the pen was not purchased there but was send abroad by them) that since the pen has been used I will be charged the equivalent of 500$. I told them that the pen was barely used and have done this process a number of times in the past under similar circumstances. The local representative contacted Hamburg again, tried to plead my case, and again was rejected.

Quite a bit bummed by this. Anyone have similar experiences recently? Is it a done deal?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rube1

• Chrissy

• meiers

• Erik Dalton

It was my understanding that Limited Edition pens could have a nib exchange for up to one year, but that might be different as the Hitchcock is specifically a Special Edition. What does it say about nib exchange in your warranty book?

In the absence of anything better, I would send an email to the CEO.

Oh and yes, I have had instances where nibs have been exchanged for free outside of the normal nib exchange period.

I wouldn't believe it was a done deal at this point.

It was my understanding that Limited Edition pens could have a nib exchange for up to one year, but that might be different as the Hitchcock is specifically a Special Edition. What does it say about nib exchange in your warranty book?

In the absence of anything better, I would send an email to the CEO.

Indeed the booklet says exactly that. I copied the page and sent it. But, again was told that the pen was 'used'...

Indeed the booklet says exactly that. I copied the page and sent it. But, again was told that the pen was 'used'...

Oh well I would definitely not take that as a done deal then. :angry: Whereabouts in the world are you?

There are a couple of things that might work: A complaint on Montblanc's Facebook page, or a complaint via email to the CEO.

There are a couple of things that might work: A complaint on Montblanc's Facebook page, or a complaint via email to the CEO.

Guess I will give it a try. thanks!

Bear in mind that Jerome Lambert has taken up a new position at Richemont, and Nicolas Baretzki is the new CEO of Montblanc effective from April. ;)

I would try and do the nib exchange either directly with Montblanc or via the AD in Holland. I have had two done on 149s and never had a problem despite having used the pens for a few weeks first.

I would try and do the nib exchange either directly with Montblanc or via the AD in Holland. I have had two done on 149s and never had a problem despite having used the pens for a few weeks first.

That surely relies on him sending it to Netherlands from Israel, fully insured, which will be expensive.

Although maybe you could get Netherlands dealer to make contact with Hamburg. The Israel dealer will have their email address. B)

That surely relies on him sending it to Netherlands from Israel, fully insured, which will be expensive.

Although maybe you could get Netherlands dealer to make contact with Hamburg. The Israel dealer will have their email address. B)

I'd rather pay $25 for shipping and get a feee nib exchange. It sounds to me like the local agent is being difficult.

The pen is actually in Hamburg already, they have been communicating with me via the local boutique. The vexing part is that i have done the swap also numerous times in the initial period without incident following minor use. Was wondering if perhaps policy has changed.

Edited by rube1

How are we supposed to tell if a nib is suitable, without using it?

If you've only filled the pen twice, and assuming that there is no damage, then I see no reason why it shouldn't qualify for the free nib exchange? You tried the nib and weren't satisfied with it.

Chrissy's suggestion sounds like good advice, if Hamburg doesn't see sense.

Good luck

Wow.

I agree with all of Chrissy's suggestions.

I would take matters into my own hands and negotiate with Hamburg directly and also get the Dutch vendor involved.

Let us know how the situation evolves.

Edited by meiers

Wow.

I agree with all of Chrissy's suggestions.

I would take matters into my own hands and negotiate with Hamburg directly and also get the Dutch vendor involved.

Let us know how the situation evolves.

I know, it is a bit surprising. If indeed the nib looks 'used' after two weeks, it is probably a production defect.

In any case, as you and Chrissy have suggested have begun searching for MB contact info. all i came up with is 'contact us' on their website. Is there a more direct venue?

Did you get a stamped warranty book when you purchased the pen?

Instead of getting the nib replaced you could always get it tweaked, this is a lot cheaper.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Did you get a stamped warranty book when you purchased the pen?

Instead of getting the nib replaced you could always get it tweaked, this is a lot cheaper.

It would certainly be cheaper than $500. However OP wants an OBB. I think that might be difficult to achieve from the potentially standard M nib that the Hitchcock came with. :huh:

The wonderful Dennis from Couronne du Comte immediately offered to assist, will update how things unfold.

This sounds like a plan that might come together.