Hello Lamy Fans

HollyDav

Hi Everyone. I got bit by the pen bug about six months ago. My first fountain pen was Lamy Safari. I was hooked at first write. I added an Al-Star and a Joy to my Lamy family. I have been saving and now a Lamy 2000 is coming in the mail today! I am very excited. Glad that I have a busy day, I will be very happy to get home and grab the mail today.

A really nice friend I made here on FPN actually was kind enough to let me borrow his 2k so that I could try before I bought one. I loved it. I was on the fence with whether to get the fine or medium. His was a medium and it wrote beautifully, super smooth and nice, but I went with the fine. My handwriting, while not small tends to be narrow and sometimes with broader nibs my lower case "e" looks like a blob. Hope I made the right choice.

Anyway I thought I would come here to share my excitement, no one in my real-life gets it at all. In fact if my kids knew how much I spent on it, they might start looking for a "place to put me!"

I thought I would ask you Lamy 2000 fans if you have a favorite ink you like to use in yours?

Wish you all a beautiful day!

Holly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• HollyDav

• Needhelp

• Chrissy

Hi Holly,

I hope you have a beautiful day, too,... that's a terrific salutation. :)

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of the L2K here... I'm even brazen enough to say it's a way better pen than the vaunted 51. It's also a beautiful pen... but I didn't always think so...being Italian... it took me a little time to see the beauty in its frank austerity. ;)

I think you chose well with the Fine, especially since the L2K's nibs run a little broader than the standard Lamy nibs, (because of their squared-off tipping). I bought my L2K a little over a year ago and it has been my edc for the past 7-8 mos. I carry it in a shirt pocket at work, at home and at play/rest. I think the only times I'm NOT wearing it is when I'm in the shower; jumping around playing tennis or sleeping.

As far as inks... the L2K has accepted every ink I've ever tried in it quite well; with the ironic exception being Lamy blue-black.

I've been using Diamine Chocolate Brown for a while and we both like it. :) I love the warmth, depth and approachability of brown inks... and Diamine Chocolate is also dark enough to project sincerity and professionalism in a business setting. Which is the one thing you have to watch... when selecting an ink for it... go a shade or two darker than the one you want... nobody can explain why, but the L2K has a tendency to dilute the ink's color a bit. :huh:

Congratulations on your selection and I share your joy. :D

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to correct grammatical error.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi there Holly,

I have to second what Anthony said both in regards to the ink and the nib size. Lamys tend to run wide (and the 2000 seems to run wet, in my experience), so the finer the nib the better, I find (I use an XF... though I've become quite curious about the 1.5 mm, or even a BB since I had the chance to try the former recently).

And as for ink: I've never encountered any problems with anything I've ever put in mine, nor have I noticed any variation in line quality or wetness/dryness across a range of inks (in my case diamine, noodlers, j herbin, mont blanc, pelikan, and graf faber... though there might be others I can't recall right now).

I have friends who have the L2K -- one gentleman I know has been using the same one since the late 80s -- and everyone loves them. It's a great pen. Enjoy it!

D.

It arrived! I gave it a flush and inked it up with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (Moonlight) and I love it. The fine was the right choice. I was just a little nervous because of all the talk of the fine nibs being scratchy and having a narrow "sweet spot."

For me the pen is perfect, it is smooth and wrote beautifully. I wrote six pages with it already and I love how it feels in my hand.

I have to go back out and teach a class tonight and all I want to do is stay home and play with my new pen!

Thank you for the responses and sharing my excitement! I really, really love it!!

It arrived! I gave it a flush and inked it up with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (Moonlight) and I love it. The fine was the right choice. I was just a little nervous because of all the talk of the fine nibs being scratchy and having a narrow "sweet spot."

For me the pen is perfect, it is smooth and wrote beautifully. I wrote six pages with it already and I love how it feels in my hand.

I have to go back out and teach a class tonight and all I want to do is stay home and play with my new pen!

Thank you for the responses and sharing my excitement! I really, really love it!!

Wow! Looks like my next pen purchase has to be a lamy 2000 but that might be after a few years untill imsave up for it

Anyway dont play around with your pen too much or youll endup automatically tuning it for no reason and endup breaking it. Just dont waste your time looking at it and put the pen to work!

As far as inks... the L2K has accepted every ink I've ever tried in it quite well; with the ironic exception being Lamy blue-black.

And why is that so?

My Lamy 2000 F seems to really love writing with Diamine Steel Blue. They just make a good combination together. :)

And why is that so?

Hi Needhelp, et al,

Simply because Lamy b/b is a lousy ink, with terrible flow. It is extremely dry and performs poorly in every pen I've tried it in.

People say Pelikan 4001 inks are dry, (which they are- but they still manage to perform reasonably well),... but Lamy b/b is drier still and does not perform all that well.

I really do not know why Lamy has not made an effort to re-formulate that ink... I guess they're too busy working on inks that are unavailable for purchase. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

- Anthony

I have a Lamy 2000 Makrolon in fine nib and my experience is same with Lamy blue-black. In fact, Lamy blue-black has flow problems in every pen I tried, even wet mediums. My Lamy 2000 F is currently inked with Sailor Jentle Souten and I love this combination.

Hi Needhelp, et al,

Simply because Lamy b/b is a lousy ink, with terrible flow. It is extremely dry and performs poorly in every pen I've tried it in.

People say Pelikan 4001 inks are dry, (which they are- but they still manage to perform reasonably well),... but Lamy b/b is drier still and does not perform all that well.

I really do not know why Lamy has not made an effort to re-formulate that ink... I guess they're too busy working on inks that are unavailable for purchase. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

Umm..... maybe you got a dud version or something else because i just bought a lamy blue black ink a few days and it is quite wet and its good. I liked it a lot.

Umm..... maybe you got a dud version or something else because i just bought a lamy blue black ink a few days and it is quite wet and its good. I liked it a lot.

Hi Needhelp, et al,

If that's the case; they must have finally got around to re-formulating it, because Lamy b/b is notoriously lousy. It was one of, (if not, THE), first bottles of ink I bought... before I knew not all inks are created equal. I used to think ink was ink. :o

Glad to hear you like your's... hopefully, it isn't a fluke and they finally fixed the stuff... because your's is a recent purchase; I'm hopeful. :D

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I have a Lamy 2000 Makrolon in fine nib and my experience is same with Lamy blue-black. In fact, Lamy blue-black has flow problems in every pen I tried, even wet mediums. My Lamy 2000 F is currently inked with Sailor Jentle Souten and I love this combination.

Hi Prashant, et al,

Thank you. Yes, I like the look of Souten, too, it strikes me as very crisp and invigorating... like a fresh fallen snow on a clear, sunny day. :)

I like to think thoughts like this when the forecast is hazy, hot and humid. :D

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Good morning all. Finally got to spend some quality time with my new pen. I caught up on my journaling and wrote a letter to one of my friends that I usually only communicate with through e-mail! I really love the 2K, it's too bad that so many write negative stuff about it, because for me the pen was perfect right out of the box. Definitely the best pen in my humble collection.

Needhelp-- Yea it should be your next pen purchase! Keep saving. It took me awhile. I am a shameless Starbucks addict, so every time I talked myself out of a latte, cappuccino etc. and made coffee at home ... I put $5 in an envelope. It took a while but it was fun watching that envelope fatten up. Plus the way my deluded mind sees it, I would have drank all those fives, so essentially my Lamy 2k was free :-) I have become very good at justifying! I quit smoking over 30 years ago and sometimes I will still do that "imagine how much money I'd be wasting if I still smoked" thing.

So if anyone every needs a little enabling or help justifying a purchase, you know who to come to.

Cheers!

Edited by HollyDav

Thank you all so much for the ink suggestions. I did the first inking with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo because I know the ink and use it a lot. It's one of the few bottles I own. I got some samples of ink with my pen, Sailor Sky High (which I think will be close to Souten??), Sailor Apricot, Robert Oster Summer Storm and Blue Water Ice. I'm just having too much fun!

Alas, time to leave my pens and ink, off to teach a morning class!

Have a beautiful day!

Holly- I usually use only Aurora Blue ink and Waterman Florida Blue( they have changed the ink's name nowadays) ink with my Lamy 2000. Both are well behaved inks and flow real well, dont clog up your pen. So, do give these inks by these 2 manufacturers a try.

Thank you all so much for the ink suggestions. I did the first inking with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo because I know the ink and use it a lot. It's one of the few bottles I own. I got some samples of ink with my pen, Sailor Sky High (which I think will be close to Souten??), Sailor Apricot, Robert Oster Summer Storm and Blue Water Ice. I'm just having too much fun!

Have a beautiful day!

Yes I think Sailor Sky High is a doppelgänger for Souten. At least my two bottles produce almost identical chroma tests. I can't speak for what everyone else has.

Have a beautiful day!

Those samples are all great inks, and you've picked a nice variety. Sky High is a great colour, and although not the exactly same as Souten (there is a discernible difference), it is close enough.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I've always liked the ergonomic design of the section.

Allan😀😀

Thanks again everyone for the ink suggestions and sharing in my excitement.

Wolverine1 - I have heard nothing but good things about Aurora and Waterman inks, but I have yet to try them. I'll definitely have them in my next sample order. That being said, I have become an ink sample hoarder and I really need to pick some favorites and commit to buying more bottles!

Anthony -- Thank you for opening my eyes to the world of brown ink! I investigated that Diamine Chocolate Brown and it looks lovely. Of course then I went off on brown ink tour and wow, never knew there were so many pretty brown inks. I may have a new obsession :)

So thanks to all of you for responding to my post! Have a wonderful weekend :)