Favourite Fountain Pens?

CharlieAndrews

I am starting to think everything I have is junk.

But don't you have Parker 45s? Those are certainly NOT junk. My first one (which also was the first pen I got with a gold nib on it) is a lovely writer when you hit the sweet spot. It's just a bit too slim a pen to want to be using for writing the Great American Novel with....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• mitto

• inkstainedruth

• CharlieAndrews

I am starting to think everything I have is junk.

It isn't junk if you enjoy using it.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Montblanc Princesse Grace De Monaco

Sailor 1911 Large

Parker Sonnet

At least one from these three are always with me if I carry a pen. Least one filled with purple ink.

Montblanc 149 with a springy wet OM nib

Sheaffer Legacy (fantasy) - love the Sheaffer nibs when they were made in-house. This just has a basic M nib, on the narrow side, but it writes so nicely. That, and those inlaid nibs are simply gorgeous.

Ancora Perla- another in-house made nib with a lot of personality. Says M but writes more like a nice juicy broad.

I swore that I would never own a Montblanc- I'm just not interested in status statements. Then I went to the DC pen show several years ago and was trying out various pens... and a vendor noticed how I hold pens and brought out a used 149 with the OM nib and inked it up for me to try. It was so comfortable to hold and the nib was a pure delight, smooth and springy. Needless to say it followed me home and has been my primary pen since then. I think that was 2013?

My favourite is the latest one (as ever). A not too expensive Mr Pen Italix Parson's Essential. Fine italic nib. Everything I love about pens as I love cigar shaped, quite small pens and italic nibs. I only have one gold nib (on an old Parker) but this nib is even smoother. Inked up with another of my recent bday presents - Iroshizuku Yama Budo .

Although am just getting into dip pens and a huge fave is one of my recent plain brass pens from Tom's Studio, using pretty well any Diamine, or some 1960s' Sanford's ink I got on eBay - with one of the maybe 100 year old Geo.Hughes nibs I also got for my birthday!

Edited by Pendarion

• 1 month later...

My favorite is an Omas 360 Magnum with a fine nib. It's one I rescued from oblivion with a lot of work. I love the grip of the triangular body, but only after I twisted the nib slightly so that it's properly oriented on the paper for my grip. I also like the snap cap, which is faster to open.

(But I also have several more 360's which don't function as well as my favorite. They are finicky.)

I also have some pens which are my "go to dependables" that see the most use. These are Bexley and Delta with steel nibs.

I started a thread here that my high-end pens are more troublesome. The higher the price, the greater the likelihood of trouble. It's like a Ford is probably less trouble than a Ferrari.

Alan

These 6:

2002 Nettuno 1911 limited edition for the spanish market with a flexible broad

2002 Nettuno Deus Maris limited edition with a flexible italic fine

2005 Conklin Nozac Demonstrator made by Visconti with a semi flex fine

1979 MB 149 with fine flexible spencerian nib

1949 Sheaffer Triumph Autograph accountant extra fine nib

1999 Stipula Etruria 991 with a flexible medium nib

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 4 weeks later...

My top three are...

1. Visconti London Fog

2. Lamy 2000

3. Pelikan M200

I know they're not in the same class but They all are wonderful in their own ways.

I have way too many pens, but if I had to pick I'd say my favourites are the Montblanc 149s and the Lamy Safaris, for slightly different reasons. I love the Aurora Optima as well.

Pelikan p1 Silvexa

Parker 51

Omas Marconi

Sailor KOP (eyedropper)

Aurora 88 modern

Aurora Duocart (eyedropper)

Parker 45

Eversharp Skyline

Platinum 3776 ribbed section (eyedropper)

They all do everything well. With the right nib, the Pelikan P1 just does it better than the others.

• 3 years later...

Pilot VP fine

Lamy 2000 EF

Hero 616

Lamy Safari EF (This one has misplaced or lost)

Pilot VP / f nib

Lamy Safari w/ef nib

Lamy 2000 w/ef nib

Parker 45 w/xf nib

My favourites include any of a number of vintage Conway Stewarts. a Wyvern, and the two Worcester Pen Co. pens I have amongst others.