Favourite Fountain Pens?

CharlieAndrews

That is interesting result. Some Onoto pens at the top, others near the bottom...

What was the factor(s) for some Onoto to be near the bottom?

Is there certain model of Onoto I should (or shouldn't) pursue?

Remember my caveat about unreliable ranking. :) My bottom-ranked pen is one with which I have no intention of parting, an Onoto 21. It performs perfectly albeit with a very wet No 15 nib. That is useful for inks needing plenty of flow, like RO Yellow Sunset or Green Olive. So, how did it get down there? Probably because it is one of my three smallest pens, useable only when posted, so that pushed it down, then it lost out to other small pens which are vintage Watermans and also lost out on "vintage", "significant" and "attractive" (that last may be a little unfair). I paid only A$30 for it already restored. There is one probably needing restoration on Oz ebay now.

In contrast, the other low-ranked Onoto is a slightly temperamental 6234 in a very nice red marbled pattern. Based on some recent discussions we had I have a couple of ideas to sweeten its behaviour. The No 5 nib is soft and tends to dry, and to skip unless your touch is very light. However, that is not a condemnation of the 6234 because I have another which ranked much higher. Looking at where they lie, I think several black ones lost out from lack of attractiveness or significance, whereas a 3000 (the original slim cylinder), 3050, 4601, 6000 and 6411 (the top Onoto) climbed on performance.

It is a bit chancy, I am afraid.

X

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• mitto

• inkstainedruth

• CharlieAndrews

Remember my caveat about unreliable ranking. :) My bottom-ranked pen is one with which I have no intention of parting, an Onoto 21. It performs perfectly albeit with a very wet No 15 nib. That is useful for inks needing plenty of flow, like RO Yellow Sunset or Green Olive. So, how did it get down there? Probably because it is one of my three smallest pens, useable only when posted, so that pushed it down, then it lost out to other small pens which are vintage Watermans and also lost out on "vintage", "significant" and "attractive" (that last may be a little unfair). I paid only A$30 for it already restored. There is one probably needing restoration on Oz ebay now.

In contrast, the other low-ranked Onoto is a slightly temperamental 6234 in a very nice red marbled pattern. Based on some recent discussions we had I have a couple of ideas to sweeten its behaviour. The No 5 nib is soft and tends to dry, and to skip unless your touch is very light. However, that is not a condemnation of the 6234 because I have another which ranked much higher. Looking at where they lie, I think several black ones lost out from lack of attractiveness or significance, whereas a 3000 (the original slim cylinder), 3050, 4601, 6000 and 6411 (the top Onoto) climbed on performance.

It is a bit chancy, I am afraid.

I have OMAS 1930 that I like but it is such a small pen too...probably a good travel pen...but then travel pen does not have to be that small...MB 144 does a great job being compact enough but I don't necessary have to post...maybe I'm too harsh on pens lol

Hopefully your temperamental 6234 will write better and rank toward the top...plus marbled red sounds attractive! :)

I have several black pens, they perform well but not too exciting to look at. I have been using Aurora Mare with medium nib more often because it is fun to look at, even though I tend to use ef or f nib for work :)

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

MB Starwalker that my late wife gave me in 2007 for my 62nd birthday. Rekindled my love of FPs.

Conway Stewart Wordsworth LE (38/75). A stunningly beautiful pen that writes like a dream. Picked it up pre-owned, too.

Cross Peerless 125. Mostly because of the Sailor XF nib although it is a handsome pen.

Too many more to try to pick a fave. I have several Japanese F and EF nibs that I enjoy writing with and are also nice.

Your Starwalker is so special...always will on the top list :)

Bexley Cappuccino - M. Nib

Picasso 915 - M. Nib

Esterbrook J Series - Stub nib

Delta Vintage - B. Nib

Nussbaum Jon Ross Series - M. Nib

Kaigelu 316 - M. Nib

My top 5 (today. :D)

TWSBI 580 AL

Pilot 823

Lamy 2000

Pilot Custom Heritage 912

Franklin Christoph No. 20

Honourable mention to my Conklin Durograph. Classy pen!

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

My top 5 (today. :D)

TWSBI 580 AL

Pilot 823

Lamy 2000

Pilot Custom Heritage 912

Franklin Christoph No. 20

Honourable mention to my Conklin Durograph. Classy pen!

I here good things about Custom 823 these days. Maybe it's time to try out. Which nib do you have for 823?

Some how I seem to love them all, but I must love the Pelikan M800 the most! Have quite a few of them!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Some how I seem to love them all, but I must love the Pelikan M800 the most! Have quite a few of them!

I don't have any Pelikans that everyone loves.

I don't have Lamy2000 that everyone loves.

I don't have Platinum 3776 that everyone loves...

I must be twisted...;p

Oh, I do have Parker 51 but I don't have the gold nib that everyone loves...

I need to set myself straight here lol

So you have the P51 Special with the octanium nib? You may find a replacement gold nib for your 51.

And don't worry the others that you don't have would also arrive at your doorsteps sooner than later. Be patient.

Khan M. Ilyas

So you have the P51 Special with the octanium nib? You may find a replacement gold nib for your 51.

And don't worry the others that you don't have would also arrive at your doorsteps sooner than later. Be patient.

Thank you!

You are probably 200% correct...you must be able to read mind... lol

I do need to get those other pens sooner or later...

Thank you!

You are probably 200% correct...you must be able to read mind... lol

I do need to get those other pens sooner or later...

Well, if it's any consolation, someone on another thread just picked up a Cordovan Brown 51, a metal-capped Vacumatic, and some unidentified lever filler for under $17 US. Total price on the three pens.... So deals are out there!

There's a guy in my pen club who doesn't like 51s -- he doesn't like the look of hooded nibs. My attitude? "Hey if you find any for cheap drop me an email!" Because I'd happily fall on my sword to get another one -- especially if it's a color I don't have, like Cordovan Brown, or "British Bloody Burgundy" (although I suspect the deals on BBB are as rare as hens' teeth...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sheaffer School pen.

I think it was all of $1 when I was in grade school.

And they were "demonstrators" :D

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sheaffer School pen.

I think it was all of $1 when I was in grade school.

And they were "demonstrators" :D

That's one!

The others (from a Sheaffer PFM, through all my Sailor Sapporos, Progears, 1911s, Platinum 3776 Century which hasn't been de-inked since I got it, and more, down to the Preppy/Plaisirs, Jinhao 992s and Hero 616s), ehh, my whims change daily.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have a Parker 51 (not Special) that has an Octanium nib. One day I will find myself the perfect replacement gold nib for it. -_-

Well, if it's any consolation, someone on another thread just picked up a Cordovan Brown 51, a metal-capped Vacumatic, and some unidentified lever filler for under $17 US. Total price on the three pens.... So deals are out there!

There's a guy in my pen club who doesn't like 51s -- he doesn't like the look of hooded nibs. My attitude? "Hey if you find any for cheap drop me an email!" Because I'd happily fall on my sword to get another one -- especially if it's a color I don't have, like Cordovan Brown, or "British Bloody Burgundy" (although I suspect the deals on BBB are as rare as hens' teeth...).

What a great deal!

I guess it's a preference whether one likes the 51 or not, but to me, 51 is so timeless and never fades.

I wouldn't mind getting another 51...Brown and BBB will be super nice to have :D

I had to give this some thought. What makes a pens or pens my favorite? For me, it's perceived durability. My Lamy 2000s, my Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava editions are among my favorite fountain pens.

Allan😀😀

Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 823. Perhaps twsbi 580 as well.

Now that the cracking issues have been dealt with, I'd have to Twisbi to my list of Favs.

Allan😀😀

You still looking for the BBB aero 51 and the Cordovan vac 51? Why couldnt you find them? Have these really turned into the 'rare' category?

Khan M. Ilyas

I bet I could find a BBB 51 on eBay UK if you still wanted one.... :)