The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Any Tips For Aligning A Flex Nib?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 23:07

I've just received a beautiful c1920 sterling silver Swan. Apart from some tarnish to the finish, it looks to be in excellent condition with an interesting chased pattern which is still quite crisp. It needs re-saccing of course, but other than that the only problem I can see is the nib alignment.

I frequently have problems aligning flex nibs, which I suppose is due in part to the inherent flexibility of the alloy. Pushing one tine up and/or the other down with the same pressure I'd use on a non-flex nib usually results in the tines springing back to where they started. Is there some technique which works well on vintage flex nibs, and is it best done with the nib in or out of the pen? I also often find that if I get the tines aligned with the nib out of the pen, that they often go out of alignment again when re-inserted into the section.

The nib is a flexible fine stamped "Mabie Todd & Co   N.Y.    2" 

Thanks in advance for any tips.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

Sponsored Content

#2 siamackz

siamackz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 18:31

The reason why tines go out of alignment sometimes when we place the nib back in the feed and section, I believe, is because the feed is not sitting squarely with the nib. So, one side is pushing more than the other. In such cases, I personally find it better to align the nib while it's attached with the feed in the section so that you align tines in relation to that problem with the feed.
Also, aligning flex nibs is harder, mostly because it take more bending to change alignment and so it's a bit scary because typical nibs would not require so much force. Take it slow and be patient not to overdo it. But, don't be too scared to push a little harder than you would with rigid nibs.
My two cents :)

#3 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:35

+1
Khan

Sponsored Content