The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Reasonable Price?

montblanc meisterstuck 146 bordeaux

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 19:53

*Waves hello*

I would like to solicit some opinions from experienced collectors if that's ok.

I'm in New Zealand, and on our local equivalent of eBay there is currently a MIB 146 bordeaux with the original paperwork, showing a purchase date of 1995. it looks unused and even still has the M nib sticker on it. The seller has a Buy Now of NZ$940 on it, which equates to around US$685. Would you consider that a reasonable price for this pen? A bargain? A bit steep?

As you can see I have no idea!

a VERY long time ago I used to sell all kinds of flash fountain pens for a living, but the only MB I ever got to own was the Hemingway ballpoint - and I sold that when I was a starving student trying to pay my rent :/

Now I'm starting to get back into fountain pens a little. Montblancs rarely come up for sale here, and if I bought one overseas I'd get hit with $NZ150 or more in import duties. I could buy this, but it'd empty my bank account. (Right now the most expensive fp I own is a Kaweco Liliput Fireblue.) I'd greatly appreciate any opinions/advice, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 LOGAN

LOGAN

Inky Preacher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 20:00

I think you could find one a bit cheaper...

#3 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 20:01

That price seems high for a 146. Perhaps a bordeaux is rarer.. but I don't think it's that rare.

#4 Doug1426

Doug1426

Bopa

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 20:04

That seems right high a price to me.  I would think more along the lines of US$300-$350 more in line with a decent price.  Even buying outside NZ and paying equivalent of about US$100 you would still be better off, and maybe not dry up your bank account.

*Waves hello*

I would like to solicit some opinions from experienced collectors if that's ok.

I'm in New Zealand, and on our local equivalent of eBay there is currently a MIB 146 bordeaux with the original paperwork, showing a purchase date of 1995. it looks unused and even still has the M nib sticker on it. The seller has a Buy Now of NZ$940 on it, which equates to around US$685. Would you consider that a reasonable price for this pen? A bargain? A bit steep?

As you can see I have no idea!

a VERY long time ago I used to sell all kinds of flash fountain pens for a living, but the only MB I ever got to own was the Hemingway ballpoint - and I sold that when I was a starving student trying to pay my rent :/

Now I'm starting to get back into fountain pens a little. Montblancs rarely come up for sale here, and if I bought one overseas I'd get hit with $NZ150 or more in import duties. I could buy this, but it'd empty my bank account. (Right now the most expensive fp I own is a Kaweco Liliput Fireblue.) I'd greatly appreciate any opinions/advice, thanks in advance!

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

#5 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 20:57

Too steep. I would think closer to $400 unused and less if used. Not even for a BB nib would I go that high in the US.

#6 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 21:05

Well that seems pretty comprehensive! Thanks guys. Can I ask, is there anywhere other than eBay or here to look for them internationally? The 146 bordeauxs currently on eBay in good to MIB condition are ranging from NZ$800-$1500 (except for the one that started at 1 cent!)

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 21:20

The bordeaux 146 always fetches a premium price compared with the black 146, but I also think your price is too steep.  :huh:

flying-letter-exc.png

#8 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 00:22

Too steep, I say.
There are thousands and thousands of 146R's out there in the wild. Some eBay vendors pretend they are rare.
However, getting a new old stock 146R at a reasonable price might be more difficult.

Edited by meiers, 18 July 2017 - 00:24.

#9 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:05

So, I've found a Bordeaux 147 at a decent price, but I'm not sure how I feel about not having the piston fill. I've also spotted a rouge et noir black (another dream pen) at a bargain price. Can anyone tell me how the route et noir compares with a 146 size wise?

#10 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:49

Well, after a day of angst I ended up buying the Rouge et Noir black fp instead, for AU$500/US$395, used fir a total of 1 hour. I'm pretty stoked :)

#11 jagwap

jagwap

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:19

Special nib on that pen. Enjoy.

#12 dubhe

dubhe

Away at Sea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 18:40

Great pen and price, enjoy it and start saving for your next one!!

#13 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• 987 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 19:28

Sounds like a good deal! I paid considerably more for mine (new) for sure!

#14 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 20:34

FWIW, i contacted a very well-reputed US dealer to see if there were any 146Rs around and he offered me an absolutely mint one, no box, (XF) for US$685. I suspect that the going rate for them is just higher than it used to be. I'd still like one - but my budget is blown for quite a while now! It MAY stretch to going into the local MB boutique to see if i can get a bottle of lavender purple though. Maybe. I'm a bit worried that someone I very much wish to avoid may work there. But there's no other outlet for MB inks in NZ.

In the meantime I have an awesome parcel to look forward to! I don't know if the seller is aware of this forum, but I'm going to let him know. Nothing like sharing the danger and glorious temptation around....  :D

#15 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 995 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 22:31

FWIW, I bought a 146R a year or so ago for $380 (US) which seemed like a fair price at the time. It wasn't NOS but was still in really good condition. There's always a premium for NOS which may be worth it to you. 

#16 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 00:00

FWIW, I bought a 146R a year or so ago for $380 (US) which seemed like a fair price at the time. It wasn't NOS but was still in really good condition. There's always a premium for NOS which may be worth it to you. 

I don't much care about the boxes and paperwork, but I would want one with as few scratches as possible. It'll happen.....eventually....

#17 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:11

The Rouge et Noir hasn't landed yet, but I've already bought it 2 bottles of MB ink (Lavender purple and Shakespeare red) and a dark red leather pencil case to live in. Now I shall return to checking the tracking every 5 minutes......

#18 Stitchpunk

Stitchpunk

Mint

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:15

Also, I have found this MB leather clutch https://global.rakut.../item/14x07142/ on our local auction site for NZ$250. It's such a good price that I'm sorely tempted, even though I don't know what I would use it for.

#19 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:31

Well and truly addicted now.

#20 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,069 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:45

The price seems high to me, but I am unlikely to buy one at an excellent price.  Just not a fan.  However, upward pressures on the price, the specific version, the availability in NZ due to isolation, and how much you want THIS pen.  

So, do you like THIS pen ?   Are your bills paid ?  Do you have NZ$940 in discretionary funds ?   Can you enjoy this item without mourning, every time you encounter a lower price ?   If you can answer "Yes !" four times,  then, no regrets.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, meisterstuck, 146, bordeaux

Sponsored Content

|