Reasonable Price?

Stitchpunk

*Waves hello*

I would like to solicit some opinions from experienced collectors if that's ok.

I'm in New Zealand, and on our local equivalent of eBay there is currently a MIB 146 bordeaux with the original paperwork, showing a purchase date of 1995. it looks unused and even still has the M nib sticker on it. The seller has a Buy Now of NZ$940 on it, which equates to around US$685. Would you consider that a reasonable price for this pen? A bargain? A bit steep?

As you can see I have no idea!

a VERY long time ago I used to sell all kinds of flash fountain pens for a living, but the only MB I ever got to own was the Hemingway ballpoint - and I sold that when I was a starving student trying to pay my rent :/

Now I'm starting to get back into fountain pens a little. Montblancs rarely come up for sale here, and if I bought one overseas I'd get hit with $NZ150 or more in import duties. I could buy this, but it'd empty my bank account. (Right now the most expensive fp I own is a Kaweco Liliput Fireblue.) I'd greatly appreciate any opinions/advice, thanks in advance!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stitchpunk

• meiers

• Chrissy

• dubhe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That price seems high for a 146. Perhaps a bordeaux is rarer.. but I don't think it's that rare.

That seems right high a price to me. I would think more along the lines of US$300-$350 more in line with a decent price. Even buying outside NZ and paying equivalent of about US$100 you would still be better off, and maybe not dry up your bank account.

*Waves hello*

I would like to solicit some opinions from experienced collectors if that's ok.

I'm in New Zealand, and on our local equivalent of eBay there is currently a MIB 146 bordeaux with the original paperwork, showing a purchase date of 1995. it looks unused and even still has the M nib sticker on it. The seller has a Buy Now of NZ$940 on it, which equates to around US$685. Would you consider that a reasonable price for this pen? A bargain? A bit steep?

As you can see I have no idea!

a VERY long time ago I used to sell all kinds of flash fountain pens for a living, but the only MB I ever got to own was the Hemingway ballpoint - and I sold that when I was a starving student trying to pay my rent :/

Now I'm starting to get back into fountain pens a little. Montblancs rarely come up for sale here, and if I bought one overseas I'd get hit with $NZ150 or more in import duties. I could buy this, but it'd empty my bank account. (Right now the most expensive fp I own is a Kaweco Liliput Fireblue.) I'd greatly appreciate any opinions/advice, thanks in advance!

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Too steep. I would think closer to $400 unused and less if used. Not even for a BB nib would I go that high in the US.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Well that seems pretty comprehensive! Thanks guys. Can I ask, is there anywhere other than eBay or here to look for them internationally? The 146 bordeauxs currently on eBay in good to MIB condition are ranging from NZ$800-$1500 (except for the one that started at 1 cent!)

The bordeaux 146 always fetches a premium price compared with the black 146, but I also think your price is too steep. :huh:

Too steep, I say.

There are thousands and thousands of 146R's out there in the wild. Some eBay vendors pretend they are rare.

However, getting a new old stock 146R at a reasonable price might be more difficult.

Edited by meiers

So, I've found a Bordeaux 147 at a decent price, but I'm not sure how I feel about not having the piston fill. I've also spotted a rouge et noir black (another dream pen) at a bargain price. Can anyone tell me how the route et noir compares with a 146 size wise?

Well, after a day of angst I ended up buying the Rouge et Noir black fp instead, for AU$500/US$395, used fir a total of 1 hour. I'm pretty stoked :)

Sounds like a good deal! I paid considerably more for mine (new) for sure!

FWIW, i contacted a very well-reputed US dealer to see if there were any 146Rs around and he offered me an absolutely mint one, no box, (XF) for US$685. I suspect that the going rate for them is just higher than it used to be. I'd still like one - but my budget is blown for quite a while now! It MAY stretch to going into the local MB boutique to see if i can get a bottle of lavender purple though. Maybe. I'm a bit worried that someone I very much wish to avoid may work there. But there's no other outlet for MB inks in NZ.

In the meantime I have an awesome parcel to look forward to! I don't know if the seller is aware of this forum, but I'm going to let him know. Nothing like sharing the danger and glorious temptation around.... :D

FWIW, I bought a 146R a year or so ago for $380 (US) which seemed like a fair price at the time. It wasn't NOS but was still in really good condition. There's always a premium for NOS which may be worth it to you.

FWIW, I bought a 146R a year or so ago for $380 (US) which seemed like a fair price at the time. It wasn't NOS but was still in really good condition. There's always a premium for NOS which may be worth it to you.

I don't much care about the boxes and paperwork, but I would want one with as few scratches as possible. It'll happen.....eventually....

The Rouge et Noir hasn't landed yet, but I've already bought it 2 bottles of MB ink (Lavender purple and Shakespeare red) and a dark red leather pencil case to live in. Now I shall return to checking the tracking every 5 minutes......

The price seems high to me, but I am unlikely to buy one at an excellent price. Just not a fan. However, upward pressures on the price, the specific version, the availability in NZ due to isolation, and how much you want THIS pen.

So, do you like THIS pen ? Are your bills paid ? Do you have NZ$940 in discretionary funds ? Can you enjoy this item without mourning, every time you encounter a lower price ? If you can answer "Yes !" four times, then, no regrets.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !