The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Shopping In San Francisco

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ArnimFritsch

ArnimFritsch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 14:55

Hi Folks,

I know this has been asked before, but not that I could find in recent history...  So, I apologize if this is a repeat.  I'm going to San Francisco soon and was wondering if anyone knows of a good pen shop in town?  I've found Itoya Topdrawer, but it's difficult to tell from their website whether they have many pens.

Thanks much!

Sponsored Content

#2 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 19:12

Unfortunately, there's no real pen shop in SF anymore....

If you get across the bay over to Berkeley, there is a store called Castle In the Air with a pretty good number of pens in it. 

http://www.fourthstr...leInTheAir.html

Mark

Digerati & FP Addict
Fav's: Aurora, Cross, CS, Delta, GvFC, Montegrappa, MB(Diplomat #055), OMAS, Parker, Sailor, Sheaffer, ST Dupont, Tibaldi, W-E, Waterman

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#3 zubzub

zubzub

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 20:33

There is a Montblanc show downtown if that's what you want. Also, there is a stationary store in Japantown, but they can't beat online retailer's prices. 

#4 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:38

FLAX is in Oakland.  They have a pen section.

http://flaxart.com/store-locations/

I do not know what the SF/Fort Mason store has.  I think it is a smaller branch store.

Edited by ac12, 18 July 2017 - 01:39.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 8,570 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:02

FLAX is in Oakland.  They have a pen section.

http://flaxart.com/store-locations/

I do not know what the SF/Fort Mason store has.  I think it is a smaller branch store.

Didn't Flax close down?

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:37

Didn't Flax close down?

Flax moved across the bay, to Oakland. They carry a selection of various pen brands, as well as several varieties of ink, including Noodler's, Iroshizuku, Pelikan Edelstein, and Diamine.

The Mai-Do stationery store in Japantown Center carries several Japanese pens and inks, as well as an excellent lineup of notebooks. There is a Montblanc boutique downtown. Patrick & Co. is a local stationery shop that carries pens and ink, but the selection is not broad (they are good for notebooks, though).

Other than the Montblanc boutique, all our dedicated pen stores closed down several years ago,

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 18 July 2017 - 04:39.

#7 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:47

Flax moved across the bay, to Oakland. They carry a selection of various pen brands, as well as several varieties of ink, including Noodler's, Iroshizuku, Pelikan Edelstein, and Diamine.

Farmboy was being factious.  After what happened at Flax last time, we will never recommend place to anyone.

2017 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 25-27th, 2017
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#8 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 00:23

I guess I missed that story.

If Flax were still in its old location on Market St. in San Francisco, I'd visit them much more often.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 19 July 2017 - 00:23.

#9 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:29

Forgot about that incident   :(

ES

There is FLAX in San Mateo.

And Ron supports the pen show.

www.SFPenShow.com

#10 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:37

ac12, thanks for the tip on FLAX in San Mateo.  Will check them out.

#11 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,747 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:01

I recently went to Itoya Topdrawer for the first time, on Union. I didn't know they opened on Valencia until I read it there. I wouldn't say they have anything in terms of fountain pens that you weren't already getting elsewhere. They have Pilot Vanishing Points (Caplesses) and Lamy Safaris in regular colors. The ink comes in cartridges, regular colors, and they don't have bottles. The choice of notebooks and pads and journals is pretty good. I ended up buying shoe polishing brushes made by a French brand I had never heard of though. Oh, and mini ballpoint refills so I don't have to dig out the ones I must already have. They sell multi-pens.

stolen 8/14/16 SF south of Market https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf24EwNiEy6nfKoep2Gnw8EVFthfPngtNSuSgIrAWRk/edit?usp=sharing

#12 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 04:45

ac12, thanks for the tip on FLAX in San Mateo.  Will check them out.

I haven't been in the San Mateo store for about a year or so. But when I was there, there wasn't much in the way of fountain pens. Very small store. A fraction of the size of the old SF store.

Digerati & FP Addict
Fav's: Aurora, Cross, CS, Delta, GvFC, Montegrappa, MB(Diplomat #055), OMAS, Parker, Sailor, Sheaffer, ST Dupont, Tibaldi, W-E, Waterman

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#13 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 8,570 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:38

I haven't been in the San Mateo store for about a year or so. But when I was there, there wasn't much in the way of fountain pens. Very small store. A fraction of the size of the old SF store.

Flax will never be the same. Drove by the old store a few weeks back. End of an era it is.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#14 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 15:31

Even the Oakland store is smaller than the old SF store.

I think Oakland is about the size of the paper room of the old SF store.

Commercial square footage is expensive, and you need the people traffic and sales $ to pay for it.

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

|