The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wingsung 812 Fountain Pen Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:21

Hello. Today I am goint to do a review on the WingSung 812 fountain pen. I haven't really heard a whole lot about the WingSung 812 until I managed to purchase some on Ebay. I have used quite a few WingSung fountain pens in the past.
I hope you enjoy this review.Thanks.
Sincerely - Finepoint87

Attached Images

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 fjoly79ink

fjoly79ink

Fountain Pen Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:27

Finepoint87: this is a great review.  I foremost appreciate the pictures of the pen and your handwriting detailing your review.  What ink and paper were you using?  I am guessing the paper is Clairefontaine but not sure.  As for the ink, can you share?

and thanks again for sharing your review!

fjoly79ink

#3 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:53

Thank you :).The ink I am using is Pelikan Royal Blue. The Pelikan 4001 ink series is affordable & dependable. Pelikan 4001 is cheap enough that you won't break the bank, & nice enough it won't mess up vintage pens. I am not quite sure what paper I am using off the top of my head, but I can get back to you.

#4 som_g

som_g

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 15:07

Hello. Today I am goint to do a review on the WingSung 812 fountain pen. I haven't really heard a whole lot about the WingSung 812 until I managed to purchase some on Ebay. I have used quite a few WingSung fountain pens in the past.
I hope you enjoy this review.Thanks.
Sincerely - Finepoint87

Thank you for the nice review of a nice pen. The writing sample looks lovely too. I have an emotional attachment to  wing sung pens, used their 233 model while in school some 32 years back and still have 2 of them. Enjoy your pen.

regards

#5 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2017 - 21:12

Hello som_g. I appreciate your interesting story. It is always nice to hear when other people also like the same pen brand/ have stories about it. The WingSung fountain pen brand is my favorite. WingSung fountain pens have proven to be dependable, attractive,& pleasing. My favorite fountain pen would have to be the WingSung 235.

Edited by Finepoint87, 17 July 2017 - 21:13.

#6 parban

parban

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:46

A very light pen that would never become smooth unless thousands of pages are written and the nib can break anytime without any cause and the inkflow can stop anytime, thanks to the rubber sac fillers -- sorry I liked Wing Sung, Kinsin, Hero, Lily etc before I was familiar with their originals --the Parkers and the Sheaffers. The chinese pens look very beautiful though and ofttimes prettier than the 'originals' -- this I must admit.

#7 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 17:52

I appreciate your feedback.
Being the owner of a WingSung 812 & a vintage 1952 Parker 51, I can't personally agree with you. All the WingSungs I have used have proved to be excellent fountain pens, flowing with ease onto the paper.My Parker 51 has a gold nib & it writes relatively smooth. My WingSung 812 & a few of my Jinhao fountain pens rival the smoothness of my Parker 51 with ease.

Sincerely - Finepoint87

Edited by Finepoint87, 19 July 2017 - 17:55.

#8 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 17:57

Each is his own. No hard feelings.
Sincerely - Finepoint87

#9 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 18:19

I appreciate your feedback.
Being the owner of a WingSung 812 & a vintage 1952 Parker 51, I can't personally agree with you. All the WingSungs I have used have proved to be excellent fountain pens, flowing with ease onto the paper.My Parker 51 has a gold nib & it writes relatively smooth. My WingSung 812 & a few of my Jinhao fountain pens rival the smoothness of my Parker 51 with ease.

Sincerely - Finepoint87

I think parban is almost certainly referring to the time around 30 or 40 or more years ago when he was at school. The QC of Chinese pens was notoriously bad then but has increased dramatically in recent years, and can now be comfortably positioned between European pens(not so good and continually getting worse as time goes on) and Japanese pens(best) in terms of reliability and QC.

There are many people on the forum though who will never like Chinese pens, whether they've used them or not and no matter how good they become, simply because they consider it to be beneath them.

Edited by Bluey, 19 July 2017 - 18:37.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Kon Peki....the colours of the rainbow.

#10 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 23:42

Interesting. Most of my WingSungs are 1980's & 1990's pens, such as the WingSung 812. I appreciate your feedback.
Sincerely - Finepoint87

#11 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 23:48

Well I'm sure not every one of them will be

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Kon Peki....the colours of the rainbow.

#12 jarodzz

jarodzz

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 04:24

To pass along some rumors that I have no ways to verify: WingSung has separate production lines, some types only available in China, some types only available to abroad. When producing pens to abroad, to show that how great China fountain pens can be, they put materials in the pen that way above the retail price, especially in the nib.

Unfortunately, I am living in China, using Wingsung through my childhood and never liked them much. Then I bought some Wingsung pens around 2010, supposed to be some new old stock fountain pens got stuck in HongKong, never sold, they are good writers, some writes better than my Pilot, Sailor and Sheaffer. 

#13 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 04:59

This one has the arrow on the nib section over the nib just like on the P61. Does it come in gold trim only or does it also come in chrome trim? Is this pen from the 80s/90s or is it a current production?
Khan

#14 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 02:19

The WingSung 812 comes in this black/blue color aswell as a gold plated variant. To answer your question, the WingSung 812's arrow only comes in gold. The WingSing 812 is a NOS 1980's/1990's fountain pen. Any modern WingSung such as the 698 won't even remotely resemble this Parker 61 esque style, atleast from what I have seen.

#15 Finepoint87

Finepoint87

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 02:24

I have heard of the Hero pen company having NOS & current/modern Parker 61 reproductions, but most if not all WingSung pens made before the 2000s are NOS since the WingSung pen company shut down in the late 1990's to be later revived & absorbed into the Hero pen company in the mid to late 2000s/2010s, which is evident of the start modern WingSung pen production.

Edited by Finepoint87, Today, 02:24.

Sponsored Content

|