Week #29 / 16 Jul: One Small Step For A Man - 2017 Weekly Ink Project

lgsoltek

Ok it's Fifty Shades of Grey week. This week we are celebrating our first Moon landing on July 20th 1969 with grey inks or any ink that reminds you of the Moon. Thank you dcwaites for the idea!

As usual, don't forget to share with us your choice of ink, your writing, drawing, doodling or anything with the ink in this thread. You can take a photo, make a scan, or even better, write letters and CRV reviews (what is a CRV?) and mail them to the many ink pals here. You are welcome to check back on this thread even when we've gone past this week.

Click here to read more about this community project. Links to the two previous links can be found there too.

---------

Next week: Chemists Rule

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Chrissy

• LizEF

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/29moon.jpg

Really great image of the moon! Wonderful!

Since my art skills are minimal, I decided to go for a more loony version of La Luna:

fpn_1500307341__lady_in_the_moon.jpg

Really great image of the moon! Wonderful!

:) Thanks. I cheated, though, and traced a photo of the moon my brother had taken - craters / dark parts and all. I like your loony moon. :D

LizEF, that's a lovely grey. I definitely need more Iroshizuku in my ink box.

Yes, I kinda like it. Was surprised to find it had a little blue in it. And it gives quite a range of shades depending on how wet your nib is / how much ink you put down.

Don't know why I didn't check out this forum sooner... love the idea of this project !

fpn_1500314217__20170717_-_one_small_ste

Man, every time I see this ink, I think, "Ooo, that's a good-looking ink." And yet, I still haven't gotten a sample. I must be broken.

I hear it's a very dry ink.

Ah. Let's say that's why - my subconscious ink-radar keeps passing over it... ;)

Meanwhile, love that Payne's Gray (as they call the color when it's an oil paint). :) I used it (the oil color, not the ink) in a painting. Possibly the last painting I did. I'm averaging like 1 every 5 years. :lol:

...[pics]...

My attempt at "moon":

Oh, that colour looks nice. I feel the same way as you about greys, so I might need to check this out!

I have no gray inks. I am eagerly watching this thread to find my favorite... I had mixed up a few mls of diluted black to use as gray a while back, but it went SITB. I think I should buy an ink MEANT to be gray!

:)

I have no gray inks. I am eagerly watching this thread to find my favorite... I had mixed up a few mls of diluted black to use as gray a while back, but it went SITB. I think I should buy an ink MEANT to be gray!

:)

Who says the moon has to be gray? Some might say the moon is blue... Sometimes it looks orange-to-red. You could plant grass on the moon and make it green. :)

I see gray inks for which I need to get samples! Fuyu Syogun and Gris de Payne :yikes:

Disclaimer: Ever think you have a pen squeaky clean and ready for the next ink, only to discover otherwise? ME, TOO!! The Ahab was clean, I tell you. I flipped the nib upside down near the bottom of the page for a very fine line, and there it was - a minuscule driplet of PR Avocado :huh: hiding deeply in a recess in the feed (?) dislodged and changed the hue to greenish-gray. I kind of like the surprise and plan to use it up. Who knows, I may even mix a small batch.

post-129742-0-49795200-1500413751_thumb.jpg

I hear it's a very dry ink.

So dry I find it almost unusable even in my wettest pens

J Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey.

Showing both wet and dry from the same pen. When running dry it's a lovely colour with excellent shading; when wet, it shows the sparkle more.

35190035964_ef4f173c80_z.jpg

35190039364_91da2942c8_z.jpg

I'm not sure why it ran so dry but two possible explanations: first is glitter clog. But the most likely is that it was a new fill, which because of the narrow neck of the ink bottle, I had to fill straight into the converter, not through the nib and feed (which wouldn't fit through that ridiculous bottle neck).

So, the flow to start with was pretty pale, and then once I had screwed the converter up to push plenty of ink up into the feed, I got a very wet line. I suspect after a page or so of writing, I may get something in the middle.

Edited by LizB

J Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey.

Showing both wet and dry from the same pen. When running dry it's a lovely colour with excellent shading; when wet, it shows the sparkle more.

I'm not sure why it ran so dry but two possible explanations: first is glitter clog. But the most likely is that it was a new fill, which because of the narrow neck of the ink bottle, I had to fill straight into the converter, not through the nib and feed (which wouldn't fit through that ridiculous bottle neck).

So, the flow to start with was pretty pale, and then once I had screwed the converter up to push plenty of ink up into the feed, I got a very wet line. I suspect after a page or so of writing, I may get something in the middle.

Gorgeous photos Liz! I followed the frenzy for this ink when it was released, but it's really disappointing. It feathers horribly if your pen writes slightly wetter. And the colour is just dirty, to my eyes.