Lotus Hide & Seek.

Sanjeev Prakash

Hide & Seek – A Surprise

Once in a while there comes along a pen which takes you completely by surprise at first sight. The Hide & Seek is one such instance where, I confess, I was taken aback, as I had never seen or heard of this concept being made in ebonite by any of the known ebonite pen makers in India.

First Impression:

The pen came in a nicely made box with the Lotus Logo, and a satisfactorily made felt like padding in white. The white and black contrast with the pen in place is pleasing too.

A nicely made, satiny, red cloth pouch, with a stringed mouth accompanied the pen, to be used for day to day carriage. Lotus has used the classic red and black combination to good effect here.

The pen itself in matte black ebonite, nestled in the box was a treat to the eye.

The clip, with the Lotus logo and one broad band with artistic work cut into it at the end of the cap, in gold colour, being the only embellishment, is just correct.

Usage:

The complete pen weighing at 33.20 grams might be considered as a tad heavy by many users. The elongated cap, which runs up to most of the length of the pen itself, allows for a small portion of the barrel to hold and twist open the smooth threads. he smooth threads.

The barrel, when it emerges, is where the surprise element came in. The overall impression of a big pen is dispelled as one holds the barrel cum section assembly. What emerges is an elegantly sleek, almost dainty, writing instrument weighing at only 11.30 grams. The matte black barrel and section contrasts elegantly with the golden shine of the nib at the end.

This assembly is very light weight and is wonderful for long writing sessions, with no fatigue. Barrel diameter at 10.80 mm and the section tapering down to 10.16 mm is very comfortable. The pen is in use now for over a month and going strong.

Dimension:

Weight of pen + cap 33.20 grams

Weight of cap 21.90 grams

Weight of barrel assembly 11.30 grams

Length of capped pen 150 mm

Length nib tip to barrel end 134 mm

Cap diameter 15 mm

Barrel diameter 10.80 mm

Section diameter tapering to 10.16 mm

Nib:

The nib assembly is the standard #6 nib, compatible to a converter feeding arrangement. This pen came with a Broad point and performed smoothly, giving a decently we line throughout. Ink delivery in consonance with volume requirement for a Broad point is a delight.

Filling arrangement:

The pen came fitted with the standard K5 Schmidt converter which, living up to its name, has performed satisfactorily.

Conclusion:

The Hide & Seek has been a surprise for me and I applaud Mr. Arun Singhi for having applied the elongated cap concept on ebonite, thereafter making the slim, dainty barrel to go with it. The matte finishing on the pen is at par with the best there is.

An idea well conceived and then executed to a beautiful finish. Delighted I am.

Well done, Sir!!

Sanjeev Prakash.

post-122830-0-54088700-1500189181_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sanjeev Prakash

• SOMNATH

• visvamitra

• J120

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hide & Seek – A Surprise

Once in a while there comes along a pen which takes you completely by surprise at first sight. The Hide & Seek is one such instance where, I confess, I was taken aback, as I had never seen or heard of this concept being made in ebonite by any of the known ebonite pen makers in India.

First Impression:

The pen came in a nicely made box with the Lotus Logo, and a satisfactorily made felt like padding in white. The white and black contrast with the pen in place is pleasing too.

A nicely made, satiny, red cloth pouch, with a stringed mouth accompanied the pen, to be used for day to day carriage. Lotus has used the classic red and black combination to good effect here.

The pen itself in matte black ebonite, nestled in the box was a treat to the eye.

The clip, with the Lotus logo and one broad band with artistic work cut into it at the end of the cap, in gold colour, being the only embellishment, is just correct.

Usage:

The complete pen weighing at 33.20 grams might be considered as a tad heavy by many users. The elongated cap, which runs up to most of the length of the pen itself, allows for a small portion of the barrel to hold and twist open the smooth threads. he smooth threads.

The barrel, when it emerges, is where the surprise element came in. The overall impression of a big pen is dispelled as one holds the barrel cum section assembly. What emerges is an elegantly sleek, almost dainty, writing instrument weighing at only 11.30 grams. The matte black barrel and section contrasts elegantly with the golden shine of the nib at the end.

This assembly is very light weight and is wonderful for long writing sessions, with no fatigue. Barrel diameter at 10.80 mm and the section tapering down to 10.16 mm is very comfortable. The pen is in use now for over a month and going strong.

Dimension:

Weight of pen + cap 33.20 grams

Weight of cap 21.90 grams

Weight of barrel assembly 11.30 grams

Length of capped pen 150 mm

Length nib tip to barrel end 134 mm

Cap diameter 15 mm

Barrel diameter 10.80 mm

Section diameter tapering to 10.16 mm

Nib:

The nib assembly is the standard #6 nib, compatible to a converter feeding arrangement. This pen came with a Broad point and performed smoothly, giving a decently we line throughout. Ink delivery in consonance with volume requirement for a Broad point is a delight.

Filling arrangement:

The pen came fitted with the standard K5 Schmidt converter which, living up to its name, has performed satisfactorily.

Conclusion:

The Hide & Seek has been a surprise for me and I applaud Mr. Arun Singhi for having applied the elongated cap concept on ebonite, thereafter making the slim, dainty barrel to go with it. The matte finishing on the pen is at par with the best there is.

An idea well conceived and then executed to a beautiful finish. Delighted I am.

Well done, Sir!!

Sanjeev Prakash.

nice review Sanjeev. BTW any details of the manufacturer and availability!

nice review Sanjeev. BTW any details of the manufacturer and availability!

Yes.

You could get in touch with Arun Singhi,

arunsinghi1952@gmail.com

This is a beautiful looking pen! Based on your review, it sounds like the pen cap can't be posted. Or can it?

I know you said it's black, but from where I'm sitting, it almost looks like it's a dark purple. Very pretty!

Every word written is a victory against death. -Michel Butor

(back after being away for a while)

This is a beautiful looking pen! Based on your review, it sounds like the pen cap can't be posted. Or can it?

I know you said it's black, but from where I'm sitting, it almost looks like it's a dark purple. Very pretty!

Cannot be posted. It is Matte black. The reflected light from the dark green leaf, is causing this effect.

Yes.

You could get in touch with Arun Singhi,

arunsinghi1952@gmail.com

Thanks Sanjeev. Will get in touch with him.

regards

What a striking pen!

Thanks for the review. I suspect it will cause a lot of us in North America (including me) to wonder how we can get one.

ron

It reminds me very much of the Franklin Christoph #33 or "Abditus," which is listed on their site as "sold out" & therefore no price showing for the pen.

I am willing to bet, although it might be easier to obtain for US residents, it will be a lot more expensive than this Lotus pen, which the web site lists @ $85.00.

• 6 years later...

Apparently, in 2023, a Chinese manufacturer independently rediscovered or copied this design dating back to at least 2017:

Majohn has it at $22-23. That seems about right but I do not get the design so hard pass for now. 

On 7/17/2017 at 11:52 PM, Barkingpig said:

It reminds me very much of the Franklin Christoph #33 or "Abditus," which is listed on their site as "sold out" & therefore no price showing for the pen.

I am willing to bet, although it might be easier to obtain for US residents, it will be a lot more expensive than this Lotus pen, which the web site lists @ $85.00.