Mabie Smith & Co Dip Pen / Pencil Combination (1856-60)-A Bit Of History!

SomersetSwan

Hi, I thought I would post a lovely dip pen/pencil combination that I recently picked up. It highlights a particular slice of history for John Mabie as well as a possible owner of the pen!The Pen:It is a Mabie Smith and Co gold dip pen/pencil combination (no hallmarks so presumably gold filled?). It is in lovely condition with a "Smith Todd, New York, 1860" nib. It is 3.5" long retracted or 4.5" long with the nib or pencil extended. There is a slightly rubbed makers mark "M.S & Co". (Pictures of the pen below)Researching this I have found that the Mabie Smith and Co. partnership lasted only 1856-60 before becoming Mabie Todd & Co. So presumably, the nib is probably one of the last "Smith Todd" nibs. The partnership details I have found below show that the name Smith was in the name 1856-1860 but previously was a partner with Edward Todd 1851-1856. They operated out of Maiden Lane, New York, which was a hub of pen and pencil case makers at the time.(Pictures below of the various partnerships)Can anyone shed any light on the nib markings and when they changed names or other name combinations that could be found. I have included a number of pictures belowThe Person:Doing some research… I bought the pen on eBay.com from the USA. The very helpful sellers told me it was bought at auction on Long Island. The inscription is "E. Gleason, Dorchester". Dorchester is in the County of Suffolk, Massachusetts, just to the South of Boston Harbour. In the late 1850's there was a famous Gleason family (Roswell Gleason and Sons) from Dorchester who ran the Gleason works that produced silver plate goods.Roswell Gleason had three children, including Edward Gleason 1829-1863. Unfortunately, he died young of Malaria.(Pictures: Roswell Gleason and family, Edward Gleason and an advertising poster)I cannot say that this is the E. Gleason, Dorchester… but for someone to have such a nice pen with the same name and location at the same time….. Who knows. But for me, when I write with it, I feel a sense of history and connection and after all, I am only 2 hours away from Dorchester (in the UK!)

RenderedContent-33BC837E-D74A-469A-B5DD-59C870498EB4.JPG

RenderedContent-8D38BBFF-420C-4838-BB8F-C7006C45AB18.JPG

RenderedContent-C008785B-9DDD-4C5E-A768-23C9E114AE1A.JPG

RenderedContent-A4ACE181-1380-45D8-8DC4-DBCFB798D4D3.JPG

RenderedContent-A311F79C-61CF-4413-A0AF-C27E686A85EB.JPG

RenderedContent-A9CB950A-D194-401F-B3DC-A7CD6ABC6EAB.JPG

RenderedContent-EE6D56E2-84F8-4672-BF1B-C6B9D6765E4D.JPG

RenderedContent-F99EAC92-9161-445F-B8A0-E5CE9F62119C.JPG

RenderedContent-3C3689EB-85BD-4AE7-B818-422454AD0BF2.JPG

RenderedContent-4C3E12CC-0A35-4C94-A0AD-0117F66DE870.JPG

RenderedContent-91CB7877-DE8B-4761-B738-B94BD06E0F29.JPG

Edited by SomersetSwan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomersetSwan

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was some discussion about a Smith & Todd nib here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305900-a-nib-belonging-to-gen-robert-e-lee/

From my post in that thread:

William Smith and Edward Todd were agents for the pen makers Bard & Brothers. When the business closed in 1851, the two men took over the New York office to form Smith & Todd.

Curious that the nib is marked 1860, if the Smith & Todd partnership ended in 1856. Maybe William Smith had some undated nibs left over from his Todd partnership when he teamed up with Mabie & Co in 1856.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Hi Goudy,

Thank you so much for the link, really helpful and informative. I am also curious as to whether it was common practice to date stamp nibs for Mabie etc, or is mine unusual (I didn't see a date stamp on the General Lee nib).

Somerset Swan

I think I can make out the first digit of a date on the General Lee nib, but the rest seems to have worn off, or is unreadable in the photo.

John Foley used to put a date on the nibs of his Bank Pens: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/263706-john-foley-bank-pen-nib/

I've seen it occasionally on some other manufacturers' nibs, but it's uncommon.

Very interesting to see a complete pen from the prehistory of Mabie Todd.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Many thanks for the Foley information Goudy.

I love your bank pen, though I am intrigued on how they master writing with something that large! I will keep my eyes open for other dated nibs.

All the best

Somerset Swan