Costco Selling Real Or Fax Montblanc Starwalker

Magoo52

I read elsewhere that they have some amazing credit card where you get something like 4% off at ANY gas station, 3% at restaurants, 2% at Costco and then 1% on everything else. THAT would be great to have!! I already have another visa but if it works out to our advantage...what's one more card??

On the pen, not sure if anyone else felt the same way, but the honest reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet is the weight. It just didn't feel significant to hold. As I mentioned before, I have session notes that I'll be using it exclusively for so being lighter might be an advantage. But I was expecting the "precious" plastic to at least feel a little heftier/solid. And reading how the pens are prone to shattering.... Even though my offices all wall to wall carpet...it's just not overly confidence inspiring that it'll hold up to daily use for 20-30 years. On the other hand my dad's Meisterstuck lasted him from the late 80's until around 2010. It's all scratched to hell but it still functions fine.

-Emt1581

I think the circumstances that led to my section shattering are unique. The pen was flung from a tall height (~6 feet, maybe with a little added speed from the child throwing the pen), landing on a hard tile, directly on the tip. I'm not gutsy enough to try experimenting with many other conditions, but I just dropped the pen from a lesser (desk) height, onto an office carpet, directly on the tip and it did just fine (but don't ask me to try it again). I'm not sure how most pens would hold up given the exact conditions of the initial accident.

The thin resin rings of the section likely just cracked. Since the metal rings were supported by the resin rings they broke free, giving the appearance of a total breakdown when it may have just been a small defect. Still concerning but the accident didn't stop me from regularly using the pen for many years after the incident. If I hadn't started using fountain pens the Starwalker would still be my daily pen.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emt1581

• Mulrich

• Magoo52

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the circumstances that led to my section shattering are unique. The pen was flung from a tall height (~6 feet, maybe with a little added speed from the child throwing the pen), landing on a hard tile, directly on the tip. I'm not gutsy enough to try experimenting with many other conditions, but I just dropped the pen from a lesser (desk) height, onto an office carpet, directly on the tip and it did just fine (but don't ask me to try it again). I'm not sure how most pens would hold up given the exact conditions of the initial accident.

The thin resin rings of the section likely just cracked. Since the metal rings were supported by the resin rings they broke free, giving the appearance of a total breakdown when it may have just been a small defect. Still concerning but the accident didn't stop me from regularly using the pen for many years after the incident. If I hadn't started using fountain pens the Starwalker would still be my daily pen.

I see where you're coming from. And if I get one it'll be kept in some sort of padded/protected environment instead of a pocket as I was originally planning.

My dad's Meisterstuck is the only other MB pen I've handled. It's from the late 80's early 90's (in case construction would be different now). And it seems slightly heavier/more solid than the Starwalker I handled last weekend. But is that just my imagination or are they differently built pens?

Thanks

-Emt1581

if the other MB was a fountain pen the piston would add some weight. They two models are very different, especially if you were looking at one of the larger Meisterstuck models. I think a starwalker is most similar to a 145.

if the other MB was a fountain pen the piston would add some weight. They two models are very different, especially if you were looking at one of the larger Meisterstuck models. I think a starwalker is most similar to a 145.

No, it was a MB Meisterstuck ball point bought at Sharper Image in the late 80's early 90's. He was a broker for a company that gave him a $1000 gift certificate to use there. One of the things he bought was his pen. He used it for around 30 years but now it sits in a drawer. He showed it to me last month and it was all scratched and peeled looking. But still functioned fine.

Was the Meisterstuck made out of something other than fancy plastic back then?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I'm far from a Montblanc expert but I think they've been using 'precious resin' for a long time (1960s?). The composition of the material may have changed but I imagine it's similar, if not identical, to the fancy black plastic you saw from the 80/90s.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth...I just took a MB Starwalker Fountain Pen to the MB store on Bloor Street here in Toronto last week, just to have them confirm that it is authentic. And it didn't take her more then 2 or three minutes to confirm that it was authentic....I have three more MB fountain pens which I will to take to the store and ask her to verify that they are also the real McCoy.