Costco Selling Real Or Fax Montblanc Starwalker

Magoo52

If I'm not mistaken if your Starwalker is the clicky retractable, you've got the Ballpoint.

Their RollerBall Starwalker has a spin-on cap, similar to the FP.

Oh yes! The pictures show a twist action (not clicky retractable) ballpoint and not a rollerball. To write with a Mb rollerball you need to remove the cap. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emt1581

• Mulrich

• Magoo52

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is interesting about this case is that Costco was not selling the rings marked with the maker's name "Tiffany" ("Tiffany & Co.", etc), or using their current "trade dress" of a Tiffany-blue box and Tiffany & Co. marked polishing cloth, or otherwise selling what is traditionally thought of as "selling fakes".

They were using "Tiffany" to describe a style of diamond setting (the high-set prongs holding the diamond), but left off the words "style", "setting", etc. The phrase "ring with Tiffany-style setting" would have been legal.

http://www.legalreader.com/costco-claims-sell-tiffany-rings-costly-mistake/

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

They were using "Tiffany" to describe a style of diamond setting (the high-set prongs holding the diamond), but left off the words "style", "setting", etc. The phrase "ring with Tiffany-style setting" would have been legal.

http://www.legalreader.com/costco-claims-sell-tiffany-rings-costly-mistake/

Well said. And an interesting article.

In fairness to Costco, though: They didn't have to say 'Ballpoint pen in the Montblanc style', because they were selling genuine pens, albeit grey-market pens.*

Thanks

*Genuine, as far as I am aware, from this and previous threads on this theme.

(I'm still not sure how the grey-market works, what is the pen's journey from Hamburg to Costco?)

• 2 weeks later...

I want a MB Starwalker (either Platinum or Midnight) quite badly and have been looking for a deal so $180 sounds great...but I could find nothing MB related on Costco's site.

I had read about the Tiffany issue at Costco before.

But back to the authentication...I thought ALL Starwalkers had PIX under the clip...what gives?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I wanted to follow-up. Still have my original question about the PIX not being under the clip but....

I just called my local Costco. I was told they have one Montblanc (they list it as Mont Blanc) Midnight Starwalker in stock. It's the display model and they won't mark it down because "we are going to get more in stock"....priced at $179.99.

Now I'm not a Costco member but I know someone that is. With tax and out the door I'd be looking at $190.79 which is the cheapest Midnight Starwalker I've seen that, at the same time, the community here seems to feel is a legitimate or at the very least...genuine/authentic...MB pen. Plus if I can use my credit card to pay for it, that's another 2% off!!...lowering the price to $186.97

Once I hear back about that under clip PIX vs. Made in Germany difference...and it's actual authenticity as a MB pen, I might go and pull the trigger on one!

Thanks

-Emt1581

I wanted to follow-up. Still have my original question about the PIX not being under the clip but....

I just called my local Costco. I was told they have one Montblanc (they list it as Mont Blanc) Midnight Starwalker in stock. It's the display model and they won't mark it down because "we are going to get more in stock"....priced at $179.99.

Now I'm not a Costco member but I know someone that is. With tax and out the door I'd be looking at $190.79 which is the cheapest Midnight Starwalker I've seen that, at the same time, the community here seems to feel is a legitimate or at the very least...genuine/authentic...MB pen. Plus if I can use my credit card to pay for it, that's another 2% off!!...lowering the price to $186.97

Once I hear back about that under clip PIX vs. Made in Germany difference...and it's actual authenticity as a MB pen, I might go and pull the trigger on one!

Thanks

-Emt1581

The counterfeiters are well ahead of us, here - but not clever enough to fool us, yet.

The point is that PIX under the clip is no longer a guarantee of authenticity, as counterfeit pens have appeared with the same.

It's difficult these days to point to a single thing which would out a fake consistently, it's usually a combination of little things.

I'm speaking beyond my knowledge, here - as I'm in the UK and we don't have these stores - but my understanding is that the pens sold in these stores are genuine (grey-market) pens. So there should be no problem re authenticity.

If they were fakes (IF), they would be pulled immediately and MB would have them in court.

Also, you have the protection of your credit card, plus your country's laws on the sale of counterfeit goods on your side.

So, if you want it - go and get it.

If it turns out not to be the genuine article (unlikely), you're already covered.

Good luck

The counterfeiters are well ahead of us, here - but not clever enough to fool us, yet.

The point is that PIX under the clip is no longer a guarantee of authenticity, as counterfeit pens have appeared with the same.

It's difficult these days to point to a single thing which would out a fake consistently, it's usually a combination of little things.

I'm speaking beyond my knowledge, here - as I'm in the UK and we don't have these stores - but my understanding is that the pens sold in these stores are genuine (grey-market) pens. So there should be no problem re authenticity.

If they were fakes (IF), they would be pulled immediately and MB would have them in court.

Also, you have the protection of your credit card, plus your country's laws on the sale of counterfeit goods on your side.

So, if you want it - go and get it.

If it turns out not to be the genuine article (unlikely), you're already covered.

Good luck

We do have Costco stores. You have to pay annually to join up and be a member, and you can never pay by credit card. You have to pay by bank card. :)

The Montblanc pens they sell are authentic so no worries about whether there is Pix under the clip or not. I don't even understand the 'grey market' question, because as far as Montblanc is concerned that makes no difference whatsoever: they are still made by Montblanc and as such are eligible for service in any Country. :)

You can buy an authentic Montblanc item anywhere in the world, and as long as it's authentic they will service it.

We do have Costco stores. You have to pay annually to join up and be a member, and you can never pay by credit card. You have to pay by bank card. :)

Ah. There we go. Learning something new every day.

Thanks.

The Montblanc pens they sell are authentic so no worries about whether there is Pix under the clip or not. I don't even understand the 'grey market' question, because as far as Montblanc is concerned that makes no difference whatsoever: they are still made by Montblanc and as such are eligible for service in any Country. :)

You can buy an authentic Montblanc item anywhere in the world, and as long as it's authentic they will service it.

I think the issue with gray market is more about warranty claims or nib exchanges than service in general. Considering the pen in question is a ballpoint I don't see any concerns with buying from Costco. As long as the pen works when purchased it isn't likely to break. And even if it did break, Costco has a very good refund policy or MB would service the pen, just for a fee.

The pen in question is a great pen and I still carry it in my bag even though I rarely use it anymore.

I had the same pen but it didn't hold up as well when dropped on a hard surface. My baby daughter grabbed it from my pocket and gingerly tossed it towards the ground and the front section basically shattered and had to visit MB for repair. Still one of my favorite pens though and probably my most used of all time. The twist mechanism is great.

What surface did it fall on and from what height?? I know the "precious resin" (plastic) can scratch over time but I didn't know it shattered.

Thanks

-Emt1581

What surface did it fall on and from what height?? I know the "precious resin" (plastic) can scratch over time but I didn't know it shattered.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I'm 6'7", so from whatever height my shirt pocket would be at onto hard tile. Only the front section of the pen, the twisting part, actually shattered. I know there's lots of discussion about how precious MB resin really is, but I don't think it's a typical plastic. Fortunately I could find all the metal rings and MB was able to repair it for about $60.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p551/emt1581/20170902_105800_zpsdnq1lr7w.jpeg

Went to Costco for the first time in my life today. Had enough samples to equal a meal. Checked out the Starwalker. I have to admit it was not as solid/heavy as I'd imagined. But for writing my session notes that's probably a good thing. At the same time it was really impressive looking and the look/feel was something I'd enjoy long-term. I asked about a discount for the "floor model" just like I'd done yesterday and the manager said since they only ever have one or two on hand...they don't ever discount the one on display.

I'm not a Costco member but I'm thinking about buying the pen and then returning the membership, unless my wife and I can justify keeping it. So I think next weekend I'll probably buy the Starwalker.

EDIT: Not sure why it's so huge and why the spacing is screwed up...mods, feel free to edit.

-Emt1581

Edited by Emt1581

Here in the US you can pay by credit card but only visa/mastercard. It used to be only Amex. Also they have a membership here were they give you a check at the end of the year of cash back and that in many cases pays for the membership. We have been a Costco member for many years and they provide good support and prices.

Here in the US you can pay by credit card but only visa/mastercard. It used to be only Amex. Also they have a membership here were they give you a check at the end of the year of cash back and that in many cases pays for the membership. We have been a Costco member for many years and they provide good support and prices.

Actually, last weekend when I checked out the Starwalker, I stopped by the membership counter. The guy said they were only accepting visa credit cards....as credit cards. Mastercards had to be used as debits.

I've been looking at the different memberships. Right now I think slickdeals.com has a deal on the $120 membership...and I think that's the one that gives you a check at the end of the year. Active/current deals on the $60 membership are nowhere to be found.

-Emt1581

Edited by Emt1581

Actually, last weekend when I checked out the Starwalker, I stopped by the membership counter. The guy said they were only accepting visa credit cards....as credit cards. Mastercards had to be used as debits.

Actually I expect you are right. We normally use a Visa card there now that they don't take Amex.

Actually I expect you are right. We normally use a Visa card there now that they don't take Amex.

I read elsewhere that they have some amazing credit card where you get something like 4% off at ANY gas station, 3% at restaurants, 2% at Costco and then 1% on everything else. THAT would be great to have!! I already have another visa but if it works out to our advantage...what's one more card??

On the pen, not sure if anyone else felt the same way, but the honest reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet is the weight. It just didn't feel significant to hold. As I mentioned before, I have session notes that I'll be using it exclusively for so being lighter might be an advantage. But I was expecting the "precious" plastic to at least feel a little heftier/solid. And reading how the pens are prone to shattering.... Even though my offices all wall to wall carpet...it's just not overly confidence inspiring that it'll hold up to daily use for 20-30 years. On the other hand my dad's Meisterstuck lasted him from the late 80's until around 2010. It's all scratched to hell but it still functions fine.

-Emt1581