The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Oldest Italian Pen Manufacturer

aurora montegrappa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 15:04

Montegrappa advertises that it was founded in 1912 and is the oldest Italian pen manufacturer. Aurora advertises that it was founded in 1919 and is the oldest Italian pen manufacturer. To the subtle Italian mind there may be no contradiction here. But to me, an American, having a simple, childlike mind, there does seem to be a contradiction.

Can anyone help me resolve my confusion about this?

Sponsored Content

#2 iiiiiii

iiiiiii

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 15:46

According to the http://www.fountainp.../Montegrappa/en
Although Montegrappa was founded earlier as a company, Uhlmann's Eterno and Tibaldi started earlier making fountain pens.

Edited by birchtine, 11 July 2017 - 15:54.

#3 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 22:27

A translation of the Aurora page on origin shows no claim to being the oldest. Is it in some other advertising? They do claim to have the oldest "true" Italian fountain pen but that is a bit of subtlety one finds equally in advertising anywhere.

edit: clarification

Edited by praxim, 11 July 2017 - 22:28.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#4 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:15

Let me consider the question settled in favor of Montegrappa, among companies that exist today. I was deluded, or possibly confused, by the claim that Aurora made the first true Italian fountain pen. Perhaps it can be thought that Montegrappa was manufacturing Austrian or Slovenian or English fountain pens. Or factitiously Italian fountain pens.

If I am going to think about the origins of Aurora, it is possibly more fun to ask myself whether the name stood simply for a new dawn after the difficulties of the Great War, or referred to the Russian warship that helped begin the Bolshevik revolution by firing on the Winter Palace. As is said in what seems to be a sound article about the company's history.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora, montegrappa

Sponsored Content

|