Waterman Man 100 Opera C1985-1999

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

Waterman introduced the Man 100 Opera in 1985 and pen was probably available through the end of production in 1999, though actual years manufactured is unknown.
http://penhero.com/Temp/WatermanOperaFP_1280_01.jpg
The Opera has the look of the chased hard rubber Waterman pens from the 1920s. The wave-like pattern is similar to patterns offered in the 1920s and 1930s. The pen is based on the Man 100 black resin pen, a large pen measuring 5 5/8 inches long capped and 6 11/16 inches long with the cap snapped onto the end of the barrel.
A difficult, but beautiful pen to photograph!
Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fitzrovia

• GardenWeasel

• PenHero

• Left FPN

I can muster half a dozen Man 100s, including an Opera but not a Harlequin. They are excellent pens in all respects, my preferred among all Watermans in the last 70+ years.

X

I agree it's a lovely pen. :) I regularly look out for them on eBay but haven't yet found the right one at a price I'm willing to pay. B)

As a matter of interest, how did you set up the photo? The way the chased pattern has come out in the picture is really amazing.

I use a light tent, photo lamps left and right. The right side one has a diffuser. I use a white pebble board above the pen to soften reflections.

I have one of these - inherited from my brother-in-law when he passed. An opera director by trade who had a fondness for fine things, that pen suited him to a tee.

It's a wonderful writer - the nib is really good. I'd estimate mine to be a medium/broad.

The only things I've found to be problematic are the plating on the end of the section (the cap clutch wears it away), the weight (when posted, it's very heavy to use) and the fact that it's a bit of a nuisance to clean. It's sharp looks and excellent writing quality easily make up for all of that. It's one of my nicest modern pens.

Hi, Folks!

After posting photos of the Man 100 Opera and Harlequin, I thought I would post the base black Man 100 for comparison. This pen is the starting point for the chased resin pens.
http://penhero.com/Temp/WatermanMan100Black_1280_01.jpg
Note that this pen has the earlier Man 100 nib without the Globe Mark, as shown on the Opera and Harlequin pens. Don't know when the Globe nib was first used, but appears to be later in the model run. There is a third nib type that has 1883 1983 stamped on it, also.
Thanks!

The globe nib started about 1990, IIRC. The nib shown is my favorite. This version has been my EDC for a while. Mine is showing the inevitable patina of much use 😊

No brassing - just lots of small scratches. And maybe some not so small. Fortunately I picked up several extra nib sections (complete) several years ago just in case I did suffer brassing.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/nukemkb/DFFF48FD-212D-442D-BD77-2F915A604CBA.png

Edited by GardenWeasel

The globe nib started about 1990, IIRC. The nib shown is my favorite. This version has been my EDC for a while. Mine is showing the inevitable patina of much use

On deciding to sell one of my two Operas, I elected to sell the pre-1990 so that I have left the globe nibs exclusively. The Patricians, which were made post-1990 so all have the globe nib, created that majority which became the ubiquity.

X

• 4 weeks later...

My fathers has an old Opera but theres a crack in the end of the barrel.

Can it be filled with something?

Can one buy spares?

Or do I have go buy him a new one? (Ive looked but they dont seem to be available at any decent price).

Thank you.

Jim is right - these are a swine to photograph properly (and he is a master at that, in contrast to me.

Here are both patterns, Opera and Arlequin (which I think is the correct designation as Waterman seems to have used 'l'Arlequin in period which became anglicized to Harlequin, but I stand to be corrected). They are in company with a couple of fairly rare Le Coultre solid gold watches.

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/lecoultre-watermanweb.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

My fathers has an old Opera but theres a crack in the end of the barrel.

Can it be filled with something?

Can one buy spares?

Or do I have go buy him a new one? (Ive looked but they dont seem to be available at any decent price).

Thank you.

AFAIK they are cartridge/converter, so if the end of the barrel is cracked that's no problem to write with it. There won't be any ink there.

Just pop in a Waterman cartridge.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

AFAIK they are cartridge/converter, so if the end of the barrel is cracked that's no problem to write with it. There won't be any ink there.

Just pop in a Waterman cartridge.

D.ick

Thank you sir.

I wanted to improve the cosmetic look for him too.

Edited by fitzrovia

Lovely lookers, now sold.

Bought for £100 and £80 and sold for a little profit ;)

attachicon.gifDSCN0985.JPG

May I ask where you bought it from? I think maybe buying him a new one would be a good idea.