Should I Get A Lamy 2000 In F Or Ef?

schin00

I'm planning to buy a lamy 2000 in the makrolon finish. Which nib size should I get? The fine or the extra-fine?

I like the fine nib in my Lamy Al-Star just fine but would prefer it a little bit wetter and less scratchy. Which would you recommend?

Cheers!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• displacermoose

• Needhelp

• ac12

• Noihvo

In that case get the fine and also a bottle of lamy blue black or other dry inks. It makes it a lot better.

In that case go with the fine. I've got an ef and while it's a great writer I wish I had purchased the fine nib.

In that case get the fine and also a bottle of lamy blue black or other dry inks. It makes it a lot better.

Also i dont own the pen nor have written with one

I am not a Lamy guy. But would say get the fine nib. The extra fines are always scratchy.

And how do people use the NEEDLEPOINT nibs? I have a few of those on P61s and Sheaffer Ladies but have no clue how to use them.

Khan M. Ilyas

I am not a Lamy guy. But would say get the fine nib. The extra fines are always scratchy.

And how do people use the NEEDLEPOINT nibs? I have a few of those on P61s and Sheaffer Ladies but have no clue how to use them.

I have an Extra Fine Lamy 2000 and it's not scratchy. The only Extra Fine I have that's close to being scratchy is an Aurora Optima, and they are known for having a lot of feedback in their pens. I also have an EF on a Lamy Studio and it's one of my best writers. I don't have a Fine Lamy 2000 so I don't have that to compare. From what I've read the Fine and Extra Fine Lamy 2000 not too different writing experiences, and that the Lamy 2000 tends to be a bit of a wetter writer so that might help explain it. For the original poster I suspect they may be happy with the Lamy 2000 in Fine, but they might not go wrong in the Extra Fine since it's wet. I wish I had tried the Fine Lamy 2000 to say that with more certainty though.

I have a Needlepoint Franklin Christoph and its not scratchy either. I've used it regularly for cursive and shorthand. It might be an issue if someone was using a really dry ink... and I could see how a needlepoint could really quickly come out of alignment, and then become scratchy. I think the needlepoint excels at making small notes, i.e. editing notations, pocket notebooks (I tend to use this), marks on accounting ledgers, and of course if you have small handwriting. Its not my favorite for correspondence but I've certainly used it for that, and I've had a number of people love how thin a line the FC Needlepoint makes.

I'd say the FC Needlepoint its the equivalent to a Japanese EF... an EF Preppy seems to make about the same line width, and even an e95s Fine or Platinum Balance Fine isn't that far off.

I have a PFM I in something like a Medium Fine and I wish I got it in Accountant though it is still a fantastic writer for me. It seems the Accountant nibs command a premium.

I would also imagine that there's not a hell of a lot of tipping material on a needlepoint unless it's ground almost perfectly, so if its not done right there might be a lot of feedback if not scratchiness. Others may have a different experience, of course. I'd also guess if someone is used to a Fine or a Medium (or even a regular european Extra Fine), the experience is not going to be as smooth as they are used to with more tipping material.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I don't see my ef on my 2000 as scratchy but if you are looking for wet, go with the fine.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have had the Lamy 2000 in extra fine, and it was not scratchy. EF or F is a personal choice, and you had better get it right with the 2000, because the nibs are pricey. The choice is between a smooth and thin line with the EF or a less thin line with the fine. Still thin. More ink put down is somewhat wetter. Are you an EF person or you an F person? I have figured I am an EF person, because I love that very thin line squirting out of the pen. The fine is sometimes just hopelessly too wide, and drives me to change several nibs out. Permanently.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have the fine, and it's among my favorite pens, but not to the point where I need to buy a second Lamy 2000. It seems to me to be just wet enough, but of course, that's subjective. Very smooth, and the line thickness is thin enough to write fairly small, at least on good paper.

The ideal solution would be if you actually had a pen shop within reasonable traveling distance where you could try both. Of course, if you liked one of them enough to get it, you might feel obligated to buy it at that shop (I would :) ), which would cost you a bit more than online, but it might be worth it to get it right.

A brick and mortar shop wasn't a possibility for me, and I actually did buy mine on line from a third party Amazon seller. For me it was a choice between fine or medium, and I'm glad I got the fine.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I'm planning to buy a lamy 2000 in the makrolon finish. Which nib size should I get? The fine or the extra-fine?

I like the fine nib in my Lamy Al-Star just fine but would prefer it a little bit wetter and less scratchy. Which would you recommend?

Cheers!

Hi Schin00, et al,

Ordinarily, I would say go with the Fine; however, the nibs on the L2K's run a touch broader than the standard Lamy nibs, so you may want to consider the EF. See below...

Personally, I would still go with a Fine, for the writing comfort, (but I prefer Mediums and Broads anyway; so I don't know if my opinion can be trusted :D). It all depends on how important nib width is to you, personally.

Be well and enjoy life... and I hope the nib you choose will really ring your chimes... I know the L2K will. :)

- Anthony

PS: Sorry for the fuzzy pic... my photography skills suck, but I think you can still tell the difference in nib widths. ;)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Well, maybe not always. I've had two L2K EF's, neither were scratchy (as long as I was on the sweet spot), neither was either one incredibly smooth, just a reasonable degree of feedback.

The finer the nib, the more sensitive it will be to the texture of the surface of the paper.

I have paper that works just fine with my M nib, but irritatingly scratchy with my F nib and even worse with my XF nibs.

My mother had a pen with an accountants fine nib, that I absolutely could not write with. That fine nib would scratch and snag on any paper that I used. Later I discovered how hard and smooth accountants ledger paper was. And that is how you used those really fine nibs.

Even today, if I have a F or XF nib that is scratchy, if the nib is aligned, odds are likely that the paper is at fault. Switch to hard smooth paper and the nib smoothens out.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I just tried EF nib today. It was not scratchy probably because I was using absorbant papers at the time, but when I compared with Parker 51 Octanium EF nib, Lamy2000's EF was definitely broader than P51.

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

I have two 2k's both fitted with fine nibs. I loved using these pens until I discovered Japanese fine nibs. The Lamy fine just seems so broad now.

I would love to swap to an extra fine nib on one of my 2000's but at $139AUD plus postage it is not financially possible just at the present time. For less than the cost of a Lamy nib I can buy a Platinum 3776, another Japanese nib I want to experience.

Good luck with your decision!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

It also depends on the ink, some look very pale and boring with finer nibs but look gorgeous with slightly broader nibs: J Herbin Orange Indien, Edelstein Mandarin for instance.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I ordered a 2000 EF before the OP's first posting, and had obsessed about making a mistake in not getting the Fine instead. The pen came in Friday. I'd worried for naught. No regrets!

I have several Japanese, German, and American pens with fine and extra fine nibs. I would put the 2000 EF between a Japanese fine and medium. It's comparable to the Pelikan EF and a bit broader than the Safari EF ( probably because it's softer). Way broader than vintage Sheaffer or Esterbrook extra fine nibs. I don't find the 2000 to be at all scratchy. Don't see how you could go wrong with either choice.