Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• pankaj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montblanc 149s — Bespoke Small Signature and 1959 BBB

If that's a small signature nib, I'd like to see the BIG signature nib. :D Great pic as always!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a somewhat recent acquisition - an OBB L 139 nib (on a 149 body).

What's the broadest nib I can get from Montblanc ? And can you get it in oblique or will it need extra work ?

My sister wants to buy me one for my birthday and this thread made sure I want a broad nib. The OBB samples looked the best to me but I'm not sure they still make those :(

What's the broadest nib I can get from Montblanc ? And can you get it in oblique or will it need extra work ?

My sister wants to buy me one for my birthday and this thread made sure I want a broad nib. The OBB samples looked the best to me but I'm not sure they still make those :(

The widest nib you can get in the standard range from MB is OBB except on the 149 where you can get OBBB. the widest non-oblique nib across all MB's standard pens (including the 149) is BB. You will likely need to do a nib exchange after purchase unless the dealer happens to have a wide nib in stock. Free nib exchanges are only on new pens from authorized dealers. You can swap the nib on a used pen but you pay the full cost. Last I checked a 149 nib was about $350 plus tax.

If you want to go and order a bespoke nib you can get up to I think about 3MM wide so maybe 8B. These nibs can come on most any pen, but the cost is very high, i think it was 1200 Euros plus the cost of pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Modern MB OBB (18K on Homer) vs Vintage MB OBB (14C L139 nib)

fpn_1562695241__img_20190708_144129_065.

The OBB samples looked the best to me

Before your sisters spends that lot of money, please make sure that you can actually write with an oblique nib. They're not made for line variation but for people who don't hold their pens in a 90° angle to the line, i.e., the writing direction, but more or less parallel.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

One of my recent restoration (replaced cork for the piston), a Soennecken 116

47994303908_d5fce016a4_c.jpg

The nib is deliciously stub and Berry Broad.

A beauty. What ink was used in this writing?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Modern MB OBB (18K on Homer) vs Vintage MB OBB (14C L139 nib)

~ zaddick:

That image is a classic!

Thank you so much for posting it.

The detail is highly appealing to yours truly.

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

a few old friends got together in the office today...

fpn_1563819461__4_139_nibs.jpg

Clockwise from the top: 250 Palladium M/B stub, 14C L139 OBB, 14C L139 F, 14C L139 OM

~ zaddick:

How would an ink drop feel if it was trapped in the midst of those four outstanding nibs?

That's a nib portrait worth revisiting.

Thank you for posting it.

Tom K.

If that's a small signature nib, I'd like to see the BIG signature nib. :D Great pic as always!

~ Soot:

I've been mulling over the possibility of a BIG signature nib.

Given an appropriate pen, it might be worth ordering.

There may be such a pen...more consideration needed.

Tom K.

Pilot Parallel for the ultimate huge signature flair :D

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Here is a new acquisition for when you have too much ink...

fpn_1564606745__in_action.jpg

Nib is made from 4 JOWO nibs by Jim Crawford.

fpn_1564606962__side_view.jpg

You must have a lot of ink. :D That nib is something!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Anyone know of any #5 BB or BBB nibs? At the typical $10-$20 range.. I just bought a Bock #6 BB and I broke it trying to remove it from the housing..

Could you give a writing sample? And explain how to write with that nib at all? I'd be most interested.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Hewing closer to the thread title, here's a nice Broad experience: Aurora Optima 365 taking a plunge in Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot...

78Y2LVmh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

~ zaddick:

That's a n-n-n-nib !!!!!!!!

Does it write reasonably well?

Thank you for posting the image!

Tom K.