Welcome To The Broad Side...

zaddick

The manufacturer terminology seems to be basically useless to me.

I'm not sure what to call these nibs because they give quite strong line variation, but they are very smooth. Definitely not a formal italic, there is a definite curve to the point, but too much line variation for a stub.

I empathise. I have the same problem, but in order to overcome this very problem I call the nib what the manufacturer does most of the time.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• pankaj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The manufacturer terminology seems to be basically useless to me.

I'm not sure what to call these nibs because they give quite strong line variation, but they are very smooth. Definitely not a formal italic, there is a definite curve to the point, but too much line variation for a stub.

To me, that would be a cursive italic. An italic with just enough rounding off to make fluid writing easy. A formal italic has absolutely square corners, and its very difficult to use one to make broad upstrokes - you can only really make broad down / horizontal strokes, and narrow upwards strokes.

Instagram @inkysloth

I used to only write with needlepoints... but the second I picked up a Parker 51 stub, I changed my mind.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally, Pelikan M800 IB nib. I've read it's supposed to be around 1.5mm, but it writes definitely wider than my Lamy 1.5mm steel nib (which is one of my favorites with great line variation, though on the sample below that pen is running out of ink). Mine is very juicy. Still getting used to it being picky with my writing angle and I did flush the nib unit thoroughly with soapy water to get any factory oil residue, though I will probably do that again before the next refill:

32926252287_9bfa028a8f_b.jpg

gsAoSxz.jpg

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

A lovely, juicy IB nib. Enjoy. drool.gif Sheeny inks beckon.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I’ve heard that a Bock BB nib is not as wide as a B. This doesn’t make sense. Anyone with personal experience?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Finally, Pelikan M800 IB nib. I've read it's supposed to be around 1.5mm, but it writes definitely wider than my Lamy 1.5mm steel

My Lamy Joy 1.1 produced a 0.8x0.4 line. Don't have a sample of my Joy 1.5

I already have various Broads and one OBB, but my really broad pen is my newest Platinum #3776 Music. According to my wife I can do some supermarket signs with it.

My Lamy Joy 1.1 produced a 0.8x0.4 line. Don't have a sample of my Joy 1.5

I've had 3 Lamy 1.1mm nibs, 1 1.5mm nib, and 1 1.9mm nib. The IB nib is more on par with the 1.9mm results and even more bold due to how juicy it writes. 1.5mm nib gives more variation; is more on the italic side of cursive italic. The Pelikan IB nib in comparison is more like a stub.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I've had 3 Lamy 1.1mm nibs, 1 1.5mm nib, and 1 1.9mm nib. The IB nib is more on par with the 1.9mm results and even more bold due to how juicy it writes. 1.5mm nib gives more variation; is more on the italic side of cursive italic. The Pelikan IB nib in comparison is more like a stub.

You may have missed my point -- based upon that sample of one, my Joy produces lines that are 75% the rated nib-width. So your Pelikan might be producing the rated width, and your 1.9 Lamy might be small.

You may have missed my point -- based upon that sample of one, my Joy produces lines that are 75% the rated nib-width. So your Pelikan might be producing the rated width, and your 1.9 Lamy might be small.

I don’t believe there’s a rated width of the Pelikan IB nib. I was mostly giving that comparison as an idea of how it performs, since far more people have used Lamy calligraphy nibs.

I already have various Broads and one OBB, but my really broad pen is my newest Platinum #3776 Music. According to my wife I can do some supermarket signs with it.

Don't forget the grocer's apostrophes. :lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

An interesting prospect to make the pen pay for itself. biggrin.png A truly melodious outcome for your wallet.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The IB nib is more on par with the 1.9mm results and even more bold due to how juicy it writes. 1.5mm nib gives more variation; is more on the italic side of cursive italic. The Pelikan IB nib in comparison is more like a stub.

+1

Definitely, a 1.8mm+ fire hose. biggrin.png

Engineer :

fpn_1558882431__pelikan_ib_nib.jpg

Pelikan Souverän M400 Special Edition Tortoiseshell Brown IB Nib

Here is a somewhat recent acquisition - an OBB L 139 nib (on a 149 body).

fpn_1559074066__img_20190513_130839_031.

fpn_1559074154__img_20190513_130204_111.

fpn_1559074204__img_20190513_130204_104.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

fpn_1558882431__pelikan_ib_nib.jpg

Pelikan Souverän M400 Special Edition Tortoiseshell Brown IB Nib

Lovely pen Tom. Looks like quite a nice tip!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a somewhat recent acquisition - an OBB L 139 nib (on a 149 body).

fpn_1560972879__zaddick_139_nib.jpg

One of my recent restoration (replaced cork for the piston), a Soennecken 116

47994303908_d5fce016a4_c.jpg

The nib is deliciously stub and Berry Broad.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens