The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ranga Bamboo In Solid Green.

bamboo krishna ebonite bock indian

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Basu

Basu

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:07

As this is my first post, let me introduce myself.

A sailor in my past life, I rekindled my passion for fountain pens about two years back.

I saw myself collecting big branded western pens and Chinese ones for fun... And then I discovered a fun WhatsApp group of like-minded individuals and with  them several Indian manufacturers.

From what I understood reading the reviews, Ranga and Gama seemed to be the hot shots, and ASA  the young turk bringing web based marketing and end user inputs to pen design.

Due to my career as an engineer and machinist, I became attracted to pens with unique designs... With sweeping curves (ASA Nauka) and near- perfect symmetry( Ranga Bamboo).

When Vaibhav Mehendiratta announced  a group buy of the Bamboo, I took the plunge. But sadly , I was informed by the manufacturer that my desired specs ( viz. with clip) is not included in the group buy but can be processed as a special order with a negligible premium in pricing.

Nib: Bock fine. Zero feedback or line variation. Not too wet... as all my pens are for pocket carry and I use them to write on  a myriad quality of (usually (bleep)) papers, this suits me just fine.

Body: Near perfect machining...turning marks visible but after extreme scrutiny .

Finally  the pen is able to perform even with difficult and temperamental inks like Krishna After Dark.

Pen comes with a Schmidt converter...but the tight Ebonite threads just scream  for use as an eyedropper.

Can be posted but the pen becomes too long. On the plus side, the cap comes off the barrel with a very satisfying *POP*.(you know the sound)

The pen cost me   $67, but I can vouch that the manufacturer has put in every cent of effort in the process. If anything, buying this pen has made me richer.

Cheers.

Attached Images

• IMG_20170710_100203.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Orpilorp

Orpilorp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:22

Beautiful pen. I have the demonstrator, but yours looks better.

#3 prashant.tikekar

prashant.tikekar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:29

Nice review of a well made pen. I did not know that Bamboo comes with a clip too.

#4 mpkandan

mpkandan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:32

As this is my first post, let me introduce myself.

A sailor in my past life, I rekindled my passion for fountain pens about two years back.

I saw myself collecting big branded western pens and Chinese ones for fun... And then I discovered a fun WhatsApp group of like-minded individuals and with  them several Indian manufacturers.

From what I understood reading the reviews, Ranga and Gama seemed to be the hot shots, and ASA  the young turk bringing web based marketing and end user inputs to pen design.

Due to my career as an engineer and machinist, I became attracted to pens with unique designs... With sweeping curves (ASA Nauka) and near- perfect symmetry( Ranga Bamboo).

When Vaibhav Mehendiratta announced  a group buy of the Bamboo, I took the plunge. But sadly , I was informed by the manufacturer that my desired specs ( viz. with clip) is not included in the group buy but can be processed as a special order with a negligible premium in pricing.

Nib: Bock fine. Zero feedback or line variation. Not too wet... as all my pens are for pocket carry and I use them to write on  a myriad quality of (usually (bleep)) papers, this suits me just fine.

Body: Near perfect machining...turning marks visible but after extreme scrutiny .

Finally  the pen is able to perform even with difficult and temperamental inks like Krishna After Dark.

Pen comes with a Schmidt converter...but the tight Ebonite threads just scream  for use as an eyedropper.

Can be posted but the pen becomes too long. On the plus side, the cap comes off the barrel with a very satisfying *POP*.(you know the sound)

The pen cost me   $67, but I can vouch that the manufacturer has put in every cent of effort in the process. If anything, buying this pen has made me richer.

Cheers.

Thanks  a lot Sir. I'm very glad that you like and enjoying  our Bamboo Pen.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

#5 Olga-F

Olga-F

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2017 - 13:09

Nice review, Thank You! I am going to buy a "solid forest green" in the group buy. Do You have "solid forest green", or Your "solid green" is another colour? Is the pen really so dark-green, or it is more light-green in reality?

#6 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 00:24

Ranga is so much bang for the buck man. I love mine!

#7 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 00:36

Thank you for the review.  Can you please post an image of it uncapped?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#8 Basu

Basu

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:49

There you go..

Attached Images

• IMG_20170710_093921.jpg
  • IMG_20170710_093745.jpg

#9 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:09

Thanks!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#10 BRBA

BRBA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 17:32

There you go..

Nice review and pictures to bring out the beauty. Is the group buy still on? How much premium for the clip?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bamboo, krishna, ebonite, bock, indian

Sponsored Content

|