"peacock Blue" Ink

bemon

We took our daughter to the zoo today, and one of the picnic areas featured wandering Peacocks. I got to thinking "that blue on the male peacock's neck would be the ULTIMATE blue." My fiance who's completely sick of all things pens even agreed.

So far based on some limited research, I can't find anything that fits the bill. I've also got a semi-exhaustive collection of 22 blues that don't meet that specific criteria either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• NicolausPiscator

• Plexipens

• inkstainedruth

Sheaffer formerly made an ink called "Peacock Blue," which altho discontinued, can still "turn up," with regular search. Papier Plume, an Ink, Fountain Pen & Stationery Shop, in New Orleans sells an ink from their line, also called " Peacock Blue." Everyone will swear there is NOTHING like the original, (it was pretty nice!) but this is perhaps as close as "easily found."

It depends a bit what was the shade on the particular bird at which you were looking at the time, and then what is your recollection of it. "Peacock Blue" discovers a lot of different tones on the internet. Other than offering suggestions for inks with peacock in the name, I see little I can do to help. Not meant unkindly, could you match for me the crimson on one of the rosellas in our yard yesterday?*

I am noting you have already examined 22 blues so you will know there are sites which will allow you to compare inks in blue, turquoise and teal ranges. Good luck with the search. I will be interested to know what shade you eventually choose.

edit: * that is not a rosella in my avatar but a king parrot

Edited by praxim

X

This is Sheaffer's now-discontinued Peacock Blue (called "turquoise" in the writing sample).

Is this anything at all like what you were looking for?

post-132891-0-57649900-1480029168_thumb.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

If you want a turquoise, Waterman Inspired or Lamy Turquoise/LE Pacific are common.

But that's the glittery shiny lighter part of the bird's feather? :)

The underlying tone is a darker cobalt blue IMHO... I'd go Iro Konpeki.

Also been mixing up some Watermans to try get something striking darker than turquoise.

I would say: Baystate Blue (Noodler's). It is bright but it has no sheen. Sailor Ultramarine would be a candidate with sheen.

When I picture "Peacock Blue" I am seeing the birds feathers down their neck in their front breast area. I have seen and bought Japanese silks that almost perfectly match this color image, but have less luck with inks, paints or dyes. I believe it stems form the nature of the actual feathers which like hummingbirds has a natural iridescence that is by nature the construction of the feathers and in silk.

For reference I refer to this picture

48165808-frontal-view-of-a-colorful-and-

Wow that's an intense blue! Reminds me of International Klein Blue. See for example this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316316-international-klein-blue/

However when I read "peacock blue", I immediately thought of Iroshizuku Ku-jaku, which is translated as "peacock". But it's a teal. Some other Japanese "bird" inks are Sailor Yama-dori (copper pheasant?), Sailor Kingdom Note Phasianus versicolor (Japanese pheasant), which are all teals. I compared a few teals here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295087-are-they-blue-or-green-quick-comparison/

What about Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku Peacock Turquoise Blue?

I've got a blue from Herbin that sort of matches this one. I was thinking sonemething deeper- the almost iridescent med blue found around the beck feathers.

When I picture "Peacock Blue" I am seeing the birds feathers down their neck in their front breast area. I have seen and bought Japanese silks that almost perfectly match this color image, but have less luck with inks, paints or dyes. I believe it stems form the nature of the actual feathers which like hummingbirds has a natural iridescence that is by nature the construction of the feathers and in silk.

For reference I refer to this picture

48165808-frontal-view-of-a-colorful-and-

That's the color I want to see :) if I had to choose I'd say the chest area is the most attractive blue.

I would say: Baystate Blue (Noodler's). It is bright but it has no sheen. Sailor Ultramarine would be a candidate with sheen.

I'll check it out. I do have BSB somewhere in my collection, I'll have to dig it out and try again.

If you want a turquoise, Waterman Inspired or Lamy Turquoise/LE Pacific are common.

But that's the glittery shiny lighter part of the bird's feather? :)

The underlying tone is a darker cobalt blue IMHO... I'd go Iro Konpeki.

Also been mixing up some Watermans to try get something striking darker than turquoise.

If you have success with that let me know.

Sheaffer formerly made an ink called "Peacock Blue," which altho discontinued, can still "turn up," with regular search. Papier Plume, an Ink, Fountain Pen & Stationery Shop, in New Orleans sells an ink from their line, also called " Peacock Blue." Everyone will swear there is NOTHING like the original, (it was pretty nice!) but this is perhaps as close as "easily found."

Yeah, that ones a little on the teal side for me. Similar to Herbin Bleu Provenche I thought.

It depends a bit what was the shade on the particular bird at which you were looking at the time, and then what is your recollection of it. "Peacock Blue" discovers a lot of different tones on the internet. Other than offering suggestions for inks with peacock in the name, I see little I can do to help. Not meant unkindly, could you match for me the crimson on one of the rosellas in our yard yesterday?*

I am noting you have already examined 22 blues so you will know there are sites which will allow you to compare inks in blue, turquoise and teal ranges. Good luck with the search. I will be interested to know what shade you eventually choose.

edit: * that is not a rosella in my avatar but a king parrot

That's fair, I wanted to see what FPN'rs would reply with sans picture for guidance. A lot of peacock inspired teals.

Besides... when you see this blue covering a surface, especially a living surface as the peackock, than the colour is perceived differently as when you write fine lines with you fountain pen. E. g. Yama-Dori may be a deeper blue when you write with it with your fountain pen... Maybe it could be interesting for you to compare your different blue inks written with different fountain pens.

Besides... when you see this blue covering a surface, especially a living surface as the peackock, than the colour is perceived differently as when you write fine lines with you fountain pen. E. g. Yama-Dori may be a deeper blue when you write with it with your fountain pen... Maybe it could be interesting for you to compare your different blue inks written with different fountain pens.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Whenever I see peacocks they're always strutting around under bright sunlight. I'm either in an office or at home at night under artificial light when writing.

Yama-Dori is very generous with its impressive sheen even written with an extra-fine nib.

I have just noted that we don't want turquoise blues like Sheaffer Peacock Blue, but colours that look more like actual peacock blue. So I will swap to these blue swabs:

fpn_1499627443__blue_clips_1a.jpg

That newly "discovered" blue at Oregon State is almost my Peacock Blue, and very very close to IKB .....

Someone please translate to an ink ..... please?

300px-YInMn_Blue_-_cropped.jpg 220px-Ultramarinepigment.jpg

Edited by Plexipens