I Hope I Didn't Get Ripped Off

tedlinda

I just purchased off of the fountainpennetwork classified a Montblanc 149 from the "1960's". It has a 18C nib, two-toned, which I have not seen written about anywhere. I have not received the pen yet, but I am concerned that the only information that I can find on a two-toned 18C nib is from shiraboshi's chart which indicates it may be from the 1980's. Is there such a thing as a 18C two-toned nib for a 1960's pen? Does anyone have one and how does it write? The seller indicated that it was very flexible.

I have attached a photo of the nib. I do not have any photos of the feed to assist with dating this pen. I can post this once I receive the pen in about a week.

Thank you in advanced for your advice. This is my first Montblanc 149.

post-85750-0-18800300-1499466241_thumb.jpg

Edited by tedlinda

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• tedlint

• zaddick

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two tone 18C exist, but I see them in the 1980s and mainly for the French Market. They are not as common as most of the other variations like 14C, 14K and 18K. I don't want to disparage another person who is a member here, but the description for this pen was probaly a fair bit off. Also, some of the "flexible" i see advertise is likely due to a heavy hand.

I'd need to see more photos, but the pen is unlikely from the 1960s, at least the nib is not. i don't recall seeing any two-tone nibs with that coloration pattern before the mid 1970s.

That said, if you like the pen and the way it writes that should be what matters most.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

That nib alos look to be too far out of the pen as you can easily read the whole 149 indication.

Does the nib collar help you date the pen?

Yes, that looks pre 1985. It could also be a newer nib in an older pen body. I expect the feed to be ebonite it but I am curious if it is groove face, solid, or split.

That nib alos look to be too far out of the pen as you can easily read the whole 149 indication.

That was my first impression. I think that nib is not original to the pen, and may not be fully pressed home. More photos are required to really tell much more.

But, as someone else has said, if it writes well and you like it, that's all that matters.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will post more pics when the pen arrives. And I agree that as long as I like the way it writes I should be happy. I just may have paid too much for the pen if it's not a flexible pen from the 1960's. I hope that I also don't have to send it in for repairs because the nib is not set properly.

I added some photos from the classified add if it helps

post-109322-0-88802800-1499500877_thumb.jpg

post-109322-0-14222500-1499500895_thumb.jpg

post-109322-0-33140900-1499500910_thumb.jpg

post-109322-0-84175400-1499500927_thumb.jpg

Edited by tedlint

In my limited experience this kind of line variation is produced by pressing down fairly hard on the nib. I still remember the severe look and verbal rebuke I received from my grade-four teacher for doing just that. Pressing down on the nib was strictly verboten. She expected us to let the nib glide over the paper.

I have a clear memory of the Pelikano I used back then.

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/de_DE.CMS.displayCMS.212167./die-geschichte-des-pelikano-von-1960-bis-heute

Edited by meiers

Generally, flex is not important to me. I write with a light hand. In an experiment, was able to achieve a great deal of line width variation from a one-dollar Jinhao x450. Just when my hand began to tire from the high-r\pressure writing, the ink flow stopped. I sprung the nib. It is amusing to spring a cheap, steel nib. Not so amusing to spring a gold Montblanc nib. I would have an experienced user test your nib, and estimate the limit of safe flex.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

That is definitely pushing the design limits. These pens aren't designed to be mashed. I'm sorry someone pushed this darling like a cheap disposable.

That is definitely pushing the design limits. These pens aren't designed to be mashed. I'm sorry someone pushed this darling like a cheap disposable.

+1. It make the hairs on my neck stand up :yikes:

Here is the 14k two-tone nib of my EF 149. It was completely refurbished by MB; this nib is properly installed.

fpn_1499545613__149nib.jpg

Edited by meiers

A nib not properly set in the section, as evidenced by the photos, will provide more flex. The real problem is that you must work harder at normal writing since the ink flow is so stingy.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Pen is in CT making its way to northern CA. Definitely curious to see what I get. I'll take pics and post before I even use it. I'll let the experts tell me what I really have. Then I'll post a writing sample and let you know the flex. I have several flex pens, both vintage and modern flex. The 18c nibs were supposed to be more flexible. But it was the tri-toned 18c that I have been reading about, not the two-toned 18c.

These weren't designed to be flex pens. They had a "soft" feel to people accustomed to letting the pens write under their own weight.