What Do You Have Inked?

biancitwo

I really want to like Ku-jaku, but I can't decide if I do or not. Teal is for me for some reason a divisive color. :)

I wouldn't use it (or any other non-purple ink) for extensive writing but find it works well as a complement to other inks. For example, right now I am writing mostly with TAG Kyoto Soft Snow of Ohara and find Kujaku attractive as an occasional accent.

In addition, I find I like Kujaku better in this pen than in others. In a wetter pen, it is too brilliantly green for my taste, but flowing from my relatively dry Pelikan 140, it looks luminous, like tropical waters.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biancitwo

• BillH

• inkstainedruth

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't use it (or any other non-purple ink) for extensive writing but find it works well as a complement to other inks. For example, right now I am writing mostly with TAG Kyoto Soft Snow of Ohara and find Kujaku attractive as an occasional accent.

In addition, I find I like Kujaku better in this pen than in others. In a wetter pen, it is too brilliantly green for my taste, but flowing from my relatively dry Pelikan 140, it looks luminous, like tropical waters.

Nice. Thanks for the tip. I have only really used it in a wetter pen. I will try it with something a bit drier.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently inked Pelikan pens:

- 400NN with wonderful semi-flex EF nib

- M620 Piazza Navona with a B nib ground to cursive italic

- M800 Grande Place with a B nib ground to cursive italic.

David

I have two Pelikans currently inked! They are:

- M800 Brown-Black in EF with Robert Oster Gold Antiqua

- M805 Demonstrator in F (tuned by Nibs) with Colorverse Einstein Ring

I love both of them, though EF nibs aren't really my thing. It suits me occasionally, though. The Demonstrator is my most recent pen acquisition, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. A nice juicy, crazy smooth fine.

- 1934 #100 black/olive marbled m flex 4001 royal blue

- 1937 #100 black/green marbled f not flex 4001 violet

- 1937 #100n red tortoise b semi flex Edelstein Smoky Quartz

- 1951 #400 tortoise om flex Diamine Registrar's

- 1956 #400nn tortoise of flex R&K Scabiosa

- 1959 #400nn tortoise ef flex 4001 blue-black

I've found these types of ink to work particularly well with those pens, although there are also other types of ink which I enjoy using.

Of course, Registrars and Scabiosa are iron gall inks, which requires a bit more maintenance. For me thorough washing with water before refilling works well.

- 1934 #100 black/olive marbled m flex 4001 royal blue

- 1937 #100 black/green marbled f not flex 4001 violet

- 1937 #100n red tortoise b semi flex Edelstein Smoky Quartz

- 1951 #400 tortoise om flex Diamine Registrar's

- 1956 #400nn tortoise of flex R&K Scabiosa

- 1959 #400nn tortoise ef flex 4001 blue-black

I've found these types of ink to work particularly well with those pens, although there are also other types of ink which I enjoy using.

Of course, Registrars and Scabiosa are iron gall inks, which requires a bit more maintenance. For me thorough washing with water before refilling works well.

That is a very nice collection of vintage Pelikane.

I hope you enjoy using them even half as much as I enjoy thinking about what it would be like using them.

My flock is unfortunately all modern (my oldest bird dates to 1996), but after seeing this and some other posts here on FPN, I may need to seriously consider finding a couple of examples of vintage Pelikans to add to my flock.

@N1003U

Vintage Pelikans require some extra care, but when treated properly, they are virtually timeless. Those pens were made for writing, not for shelfing. Nonetheless, some of these pens I use have been initially found in a really poor condition. So it took much learning experience from fellow FPN members, some spare parts, some tooling-up, some precision restoring work, but patience above all.

(-:

I really want to like Ku-jaku, but I can't decide if I do or not. Teal is for me for some reason a divisive color. :)

I felt the exact same way about Ku-jaku. Then I got a bottle of Sailor Yama-dori and I love it. They are in the same color family, but the difference is night and day to me. Maybe give Yama-dori a try? It's in the Shikiori lineup of inks now...

I felt the exact same way about Ku-jaku. Then I got a bottle of Sailor Yama-dori and I love it. They are in the same color family, but the difference is night and day to me. Maybe give Yama-dori a try? It's in the Shikiori lineup of inks now...

Thanks, I will give the Yama-dori a try.

I thought I'd try some of my old bottle of discontinued Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green in my Pelikan M800 W. German Green and Black with a 14kt Medium nib. I finally get why Pelikan 4001 has a reputation as a dry ink. I guess in the past I've only used it in very broad nibbed, wet pens.

Here's a picture of it in a blue paged Graphic Image JOURNAL.

fpn_1581892679__pelikan_brilliant_green_

At the moment, the only bird inked up is the new M600 Violet and White, EF nib, with Edelstein Topaz -- the 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise got flushed out a few days ago, after a (diluted) fill of Edelstein Smoky Quartz finally finished.

I'm thinking that I might then ink up the M405 Striated Blue, also with Edelstein Topaz, and see how that EF nib compares with the one on the M600 (which does seem, to my eye, to really be more of what I would call an EF (all of my other Pelikans tend to run wet and a little wide). And then flush the two pens out and test with the M405's usual fill of Edelstein Tanzanite. Because I'm now REALLY curious about how the two nibs compare.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi Ruth,

Sorry to derail the the thread a little-- have you used Iroshizuku Kon Peki before? I was wondering how that ink compared to Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. I was thinking about picking up a drier ink for (even) finer lines in my Pilot PO nib and also for my M805, which is currently inked with Iroshizuku Ku Jaku and, while beautiful, is a deluge.

It's been a while, but for the past six months or so, I've been using my Pelikans for much of my writing. Mostly note-taking, at work, home or during class. Bit of journalling, yesterday, as well.

Pelikan M1000 green stripe, EF nib, De Atramentis JS Bach ink

Pelikan M1005 Stresemann, EF nib, Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun (grey) ink

Love the springiness of these nibs! Very wet writers, a joy to use.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Pelikan M800 W. German Green and Black: The Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green was painfully dry in this pen. So, I dumped that fill and replaced it with my first fill of Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine ink. So far, I am really enjoying it. Suddenly the ink seems to be wet and free flowing instead of stingy and on the verge of hard starting. Yay!

Hi Ruth,

Sorry to derail the the thread a little-- have you used Iroshizuku Kon Peki before? I was wondering how that ink compared to Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. I was thinking about picking up a drier ink for (even) finer lines in my Pilot PO nib and also for my M805, which is currently inked with Iroshizuku Ku Jaku and, while beautiful, is a deluge.

I am not Ruth, but I'll add my "two-cents" worth.

In my experience, Kon-peki is a true cerulean blue with relatively high saturation and relatively low shading.

Edelstein Topaz is a bit less saturated, has more shading, and leans toward a turquoise color.

Hi Ruth,

I've used Kon-peki, and really like it. But not in any of the Pelikans. In my experience a lot of Iroshizuku inks are on the wet side, and probably too wet for most Pelikans. My first bird was a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise, and I was thinking that with it's springy and juicy wet nib it would be great for drawing with. But I found that my original plan of putting Yama-guri in it (which is one of those inks I NEVER want to be without :rolleyes:) was too wet for the pen. OTOH, Noodler's Walnut, which is pretty dry, worked very well in it, and so did Edelstein Smoky Quartz (which is a similar color to Yama-guri -- I really like browns that lean slightly sepia).

Kon-peki works really well in my Pilot Decimo, as do several other Iroshizuku inks (I was going to put Yama-budo back in it for this weekend, but packing on Tuesday was a little crazy and I misplaced the bottle :blush: somewhere in the house. I considered Murasaki-shikibu (a new ink for me) but already had a pen inked up with a similar enough purple that I decided to hold off, and tried the first non-Pilot ink in the Decimo instead (Birmingham Smithfield Street Bridge Truss Blue), which is a gorgeous cobalt blue. And we'll see how hard it is to flush a fairly saturated ink out of the Decimo later.... :huh:

I have not done a comparison between Kon-peki and Topaz (or, for that matter, adding in Diamine Havasu Turquoise -- which is a dead ringer for Topaz, IMO -- and also De Atramentis Sky High, which I also like).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

M800 green M nib with Iroshizuku Shin Ryoku

M1005 stresemann F nib with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai

I use various kinds of paper: Midiori TN insert, Clairfontaine, various Rhodia, and my favorite Tomoe River white/52gms and cream/68gms.

For most of these papers, both nibs are actually slightly too broad for my handwriting, so I am contemplating the investment in an new nib...starting with a F for the M800...

My M805 blue dunes is permanently inked with Kon-Peki. The nib is M grind to cursive italic. The pen works really well with Kon-Peki.

My M101n red tortoise is inked with Iro Kosumosu, the autum cherry color is beautiful, my favorite pink.

I got a vintage 400 with KM nib also inked with Kosumosu. It is wetter than M101n, giving more depth to the pink color.

My M605 white transparent is inked with Kiri-Sami, the gray color of Iro line.

My M600 white violet is inked with one of Iro blue-purple, I dont remember the Japanese name.

I am a big fan of Iro inks!