What Do You Have Inked?

biancitwo

Pelikan 100 Frankenpen, (1936 Green Marbled with 1929 Hearthole UR F nib). 4001 Blue/Black ink.

Peter

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biancitwo

• BillH

• inkstainedruth

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the FPN February ink challenge (shading inks), one of the pens I used was the vintage 400, and at the moment it's got Diamine Terra Cotta in it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For the FPN February ink challenge (shading inks), one of the pens I used was the vintage 400, and at the moment it's got Diamine Terra Cotta in it.

Ruth, how do you like that color?

M1005 Black F nib - inked with KWZ confederation brown

M800 Brown Tortoise F nib - inked with sailor old Burgundy

M805 Vibrant Blue EF nib - inked with sailor Ina-ho (yep, not the pilot one)

Pelikan m101n brown tortoise with Yu-Yake

M101n red tortoise with kyo-iro soft snow of o'hara (almost done)

M600 green o' green with Robert Oster African gold

M620 Piccadilly Circus with sailor doyou

One thing I like about this thread is creating the mental picture of the pens mentioned. Some of these selections make a wonderful image. I know some of the inks, others I guess at. Something else I wonder about, where are these pens, literally? Do you have a pen stand, are they laying in a felt lined box, or propped up in a whiskey glass or a soup can? Do you just shove them to the back of a drawer, or are they buried among a mish mash of doodle papers? If you have three or four pens inked at one time, where do they reside while in 'inked' status?

Here is how I do it:

40535221982_70ca6bc1e5_h.jpgP1000346 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

40535222012_913f1742a5_h.jpgP1000344 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

40535222122_dda36baa16_h.jpgP1000341 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

The 3 pen holder is something I made form scrap pieces in my workshop. The smaller, single pen holder was a gift from my wife, it is a great piece of work.

Guess I should mention the pens: a 50's era 400 tortoise, a Pelikano and a blue stripe M600. The tortoise (w/Diamine Chocolate) and the blue stripe (MB JFK) sport nibs stubbed by Mr. John Motishaw. The Pelikano is filled with Diamine Asa Blue. A top notch nib makes a good pen a great pen.

Edited by DrCodfish

fpn_1520146893__pelikan_m200_semiflex_ma

fpn_1520147450__pelikan_m200_semiflex_ma

fpn_1507438985__pelikan_m200_italic_oct_

fpn_1507439031__pelikan_m200_italic_oct_

So much joy from one pen! That's Pelikan.

Inks: MB Lavender Purple, and Lucky Orange

Edited by max dog

A Pelikan 100 grey (mid 1930s), with a somewhat skritchy EF nib on first impression. Also an M400 tortoise (1980s) with a delicious M nib. Both contain Waterman inks for their first outing, green and brown respectively.

X

Ruth, how do you like that color?

I like it. I don't normally like red/browns or red/oranges. But that really looks like what I think of for "terra cotta".

It's a bit dry in the 400 -- I first tried it in the M200 Café Crème with a B nib (sadly since lost) -- but that may also partly be an effect of the OB nib. On crummy absorbent paper with the B nib, it has wonderful shading and is well behaved (no feathering, some water resistance, and almost no showthough).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One thing I like about this thread is creating the mental picture of the pens mentioned. Some of these selections make a wonderful image. I know some of the inks, others I guess at. Something else I wonder about, where are these pens, literally? Do you have a pen stand, are they laying in a felt lined box, or propped up in a whiskey glass or a soup can? Do you just shove them to the back of a drawer, or are they buried among a mish mash of doodle papers? If you have three or four pens inked at one time, where do they reside while in 'inked' status?

Here is how I do it:

40535221982_70ca6bc1e5_h.jpgP1000346 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

40535222012_913f1742a5_h.jpgP1000344 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

40535222122_dda36baa16_h.jpgP1000341 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

The 3 pen holder is something I made form scrap pieces in my workshop. The smaller, single pen holder was a gift from my wife, it is a great piece of work.

Guess I should mention the pens: a 50's era 400 tortoise, a Pelikano and a blue stripe M600. The tortoise (w/Diamine Chocolate) and the blue stripe (MB JFK) sport nibs stubbed by Mr. John Motishaw. The Pelikano is filled with Diamine Asa Blue. A top notch nib makes a good pen a great pen.

Beautiful!!

• 2 weeks later...

Someday I hope to have a flock but right now I have only one Pelikan--it's a vintage 400 with green stripes, early 1950s, and it's inked with Waterman Serenity Blue.

Thank you, DrCodfish for those wonderful photos! It reminded me of the fact that I am probably not properly storing my pens (both inked right now). The Pelikan resides in a cardboard box (and he leans upon a velvet bag with an external hard drive inside... maybe he should have the velvet for himself!) My second pen is a Waterman Lady Charlotte and she stands--somewhat uprightly--in an empty glass baby food jar. She is a very hard starter so she is actually standing with the nib pointed downward (with the cap on of course). I'm not sure it's such a good idea to have the nib down, though it does seem to help in getting the ink flowing each morning.

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

M200 brown marbled, M, with Smoky Quartz

M200 green marbled with, CI, Poussiere de Lune

M600 red stripes, F, refilled with Yama Dori

...enjoying...

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Lamy Vista-Medium-Aurora Black

Noodler's Charlie-FPR #5.5 Medium-Kung Te-Cheng

Jinhao x750-Franklin-Christoph Medium- Noodler's Black

Jinhao x750-Goulet Medium- Noodler's Walnut

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing up with my 620 City Series, Piccadilly Circus, M nib. Currently has some Wancher blue ink in it.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

M120 Iconic Blue F, inked with Birmingham Panther Blue.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

M120 Iconic Blue M, inked with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. Wet meets wet!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT