Why Are Duofolds Underrated?

parban

I have had Pelikan M800 and I still use a Mont Blanc 146 but my 3 Duofolds are still my favourites, I have a late 80's model in beautiful red marble and later international and centennial in black. They have proved over the years to be utterly reliable and wear very well. None have any sign of wear at all and the nibs just get better and better. There is also the enormous choice of nibs available to take into account. As far as the converter goes..... if it breaks or wears out, and I haven't had to change one yet, you buy a new one for little cost. And if you like the ink that's available in cartridge you can carry a spare one around easily. Piston fillers on the other hand, and I love my MB146, if they go wrong you have to send them away and they cost an arm and a leg to repair. So for practicality's sake the Duofold is a winner for me. Also, I have found Parker Customer Service to be superb. Shame they are not in the UK anymore.

Back in the 70's I wandered in to Bush House in London and asked if the nib could be changed from a medium to a fine on a Parker 65 that I had had for a couple of years, she took the pen and came back 10 minutes later and asked me to try the nib which had been changed, I asked how much and she replied no charge. Beat that for customer service.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parban

• mitto

• penmanila

• Bluey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Chemremman. I agree with you completely. Duofolds are superb. In my student life I like Parker 75s very much but now compelety disillusioned. The ink flow is very often a problem with most of the 75s. But Duofold is majestic and great.

I have had Pelikan M800 and I still use a Mont Blanc 146 but my 3 Duofolds are still my favourites, I have a late 80's model in beautiful red marble and later international and centennial in black. They have proved over the years to be utterly reliable and wear very well. None have any sign of wear at all and the nibs just get better and better. There is also the enormous choice of nibs available to take into account. As far as the converter goes..... if it breaks or wears out, and I haven't had to change one yet, you buy a new one for little cost. And if you like the ink that's available in cartridge you can carry a spare one around easily. Piston fillers on the other hand, and I love my MB146, if they go wrong you have to send them away and they cost an arm and a leg to repair. So for practicality's sake the Duofold is a winner for me. Also, I have found Parker Customer Service to be superb. Shame they are not in the UK anymore.

Back in the 70's I wandered in to Bush House in London and asked if the nib could be changed from a medium to a fine on a Parker 65 that I had had for a couple of years, she took the pen and came back 10 minutes later and asked me to try the nib which had been changed, I asked how much and she replied no charge. Beat that for customer service.

Parker customer service used to be stellar, and guarantees were lifetime. I dealt with Janesville in the past and could recount many instances but one, for instance, similar to the nib-exchange story recounted above, is when I sent a blue marble Duofold for a nib exchange. I had wanted a green marble Duofold and while the pen was in Janesville I called up and asked if, while changing the nib, by chance they could switch the blue one for a green one--and they did! Also at no cost. Oh, how I miss the people in Janesville. It's not surprising those dealing with Newhaven feel a similar wistfulness. Today the pens have to be sent to France and the coverage and costs are not known until the pens are sent.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

When I got my first Duofold Centennials, way back around 1991, I thought they were expensive but still good value considering the other "high end" competition at the time. Today things seem different, and I would part with MRSP (or anything close) for the "Prestige" things.

I also understand the comments from those who have issues with c/c filling. Such a system is not necessarily "cheap", but it does feel "cheap" compared to a piston. True, there are more expensive c/c pens, but they have something to make up for it, e.g. the "exotic urushi" from the Japanese manufacturers.

Still, I'd agree that the pen is somewhat under-rated. Perhaps if they had not produced so many versions in questionable colours ... 1990s burnt-orange was top-notch, and the black-and-pearl, on which Parker dined out for a long time, wasn't too bad either. Even the "check" ones showed some imagination. But some of the new ivory, blue, "big red", etc.... meh.

I don't collect modern pens...but if there was one I wanted, it would be a Duofold! I like how close they are to the original (at least the first ones)25265005460_c82fa0efcd_h.jpg7108640823_a31255d354_h.jpg

C.

Christof sums up what I like about Duofolds very well and with a better picture than I could ever take :)

My modern black Duofold International with platinum trim is all class. My modern pearl and black Duofold Centennial is all class as well and with a stunningly beautiful finish. Both have stylish gold nibs and are the epitome of classic fountain pens with the perfect shape, size, proportion and scale.

Don't care about filling systems - they write well and are a joy in the hand. That's all I need.

What is the difference between the earlier UK and the current Frenche Duofolds?

Nothing, as far as I know. They seem identical. Probably shipped the tools over to France.

On the modern Duofolds, what is the gold content of the nibs? 14 or 18 ?

Allan😀😀

Someone said they thought they were over priced and to be honest I share that sentiment. Oddly enough, I'll spend 100 dollars more for a Sailor or a Pelikan.

Allan😀😀

Nothing, as far as I know. They seem identical. Probably shipped the tools over to France.

The UK Duofolds of the 80s and early 90s differ from modern Duofolds in design marginally and substantially in quality. I hope all those who use both would agree to this.

I bought a brand new boxed 2014 production ivory Centenniel in 2015 for about $195 from someone who received the pen as gift from some relatives in Dubai.

I have now another oppurtunity to buy the same pen in the same ivory body for the same price or perhaps a little less. Like the previous one this pen is also brand new, boxed (with the outer white cardboard box as well). Shall I buy the pen for the price?

I personally am hisitant to buy another one in the same ivory finish as I would like another one in orange or blue color.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas