Why Are Duofolds Underrated?

parban

I found their nibs very very smooth and juicy. So far as flexibility is concerned, Waterman edson pens are stiffer than Duofolds but considered as one of the best among all pens across brands. I dont think stiffness is the issue.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parban

• mitto

• penmanila

• Bluey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When introduced, the gold plated and sterling silver godron Centennials were priced 500 US$, and Internationals 450 US$.The price of C/C 144V Vermeil Montblanc Solitaire was priced $685 most probably in that period.

Unless you are a seller...why be surprised? Just enjoy the pens you can purchase at a relatively reasonable price. :thumbup:

The modern Duofolds are still an expensive pen. Some of the other brands...well, they are over priced and over rated.

I've got a Kaigelu you can have for £600? The price rise has caused the quality to magically increase, even though it's not much different to any MB or Pelikan or P Duofold at it's current price

I don't know why some people are so obsessed with the price of things. Perhaps they're totally unable to judge quality unless it has a price tag. Such people will always be falling for scams. And overpriced/overrated rubbish.

Edited by Bluey

The most logical way of understanding such item's real worth in eyes of the buyers at the aggregate level seems the avarage highest bids for NOS and used varieties.Boutique prices are not the indicators as company's can set any price. But all buyers are neither ignorant nor fools and what the offer for an item must have some meaning.

Edited by parban

The Duofold is a classy pen. It seems to me to have a look like the Pelikan look, but the Duofold looks much prettier to me. Pelikan and Montblanc are riding a crest of popularity, but their functioning is excellent. I like the way Pelikan piston fillers work, but not their looks so much. The Duofolds, with their many great finishes, are prettier. I am a bit put off by the name, which seems to roll off of my tongue like a ton of bricks. I have had a couple of the modern Duofolds, and I had as much trouble with them as I have had with Carenes. The Carenes were less expensive, so they just got put in a tray. The Duofolds moved to other homes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

their ho-hum nibs notwithstanding, duofolds are not underrated in my house ;)

35419353420_7c3e311b7a_b.jpg

there used to be more; i've sold of all my internationals and a few centennials, too. these are the ones i really like.

Check out my blog and my pens

I have had a couple of the modern Duofolds, and I had as much trouble with them as I have had with Carenes. The Carenes were less expensive, so they just got put in a tray. The Duofolds moved to other homes.[/color]

Could we know what kind of problem? Duofold's mechanism is simple. Unlike Carenes,they should be much less prone to problems that cant be soved without much trouble.

To penmanila

Thamks for the beautiful image of your great collection. The pearl and black seems the prettiest to me.

I could think of two limitations of Duofold that may have made it less attractive :1. The cap posting is a bit problem as the cap doesnt sit onto the barrel properly and after posting the balance of the pen gets disturbed. 2. For usiting it for longer hours, the ink it holds may he insufficient and so more frequent refilling is required.

Hi all,

I would not consider myself a pen snob, but when it comes to my FPN namesake, I probably am. For me, this is the only Duofold there is, (and those from this generation):

http://i.imgur.com/Qlo3Ohd.jpg

One problem is that Parker overused the name; the UK Duofold is a completely different pen and should have been given its own name.

Why the modern Duofold is underrated is easy to address... it's way overpriced. While it is a fitting duplicate of the original, I think it is overpriced for what you get. Granted, it has a pleasant, juicy gold nib, but so do a lot of other pens, for a fraction of the price.

Granted, they have a beautiful resin body, but so do Edison's for a fraction of the price; even the lowly Kaigelu 316 uses beautiful resins that rival Parker's, for all of $20! :headsmack: And if the clowns at Kaigelu were smart enough to learn from their mistakes and replaced that lead anchor bottom finial with a plastic one; I swear they would not be able to keep up with the demand.

I think if Parker either converted the modern Duofold to a piston filler, or dropped the price $250; they'd have a pen worth buying, (MAYBE), but until then, no. Perhaps it is a foolish prejudice on my own part, but for $5-600, I expect a better filling system than a cartridge... just as I would expect a luxury sedan to have multi-zone, automatic climate control as standard equipment.

Why the vintage Duofold is underrated? I really couldn't say. :huh:

I think it is a fantastic pen and I have to say that for the first time in my brief, pen collecting life; I have finally found a vintage pen that I actually enjoy using. :vbg: That alone is highest praise I can think of for the original Duofold. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to correct text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

thanks. for me, it's a toss-up between the P&B and the special-edition greenwich:

8332114589_d8fa04322d_b.jpg

i probably prefer the greenwich because it occasionally enters the daily rotation ;) the only other dufold i really use is a 1928 big red.

EDIT: I just saw Anthony's post and updated mine to show my shared regard for the Big Red. Here's the one that travels with me:

10155727165_e5b84781ac_b.jpg

As regards the prices of modern Duofolds, I agree that the store prices may be steep, but (not being a millionaire) I was able to build up my collection with patience, perseverance, and that most important element of all, luck.

The Greenwich Centennial above was probably the most expensive, at $315 on eBay; if you look at the other Centennials in my picture, the burgundy-marble one cost me $130 (found in a department store in a southern Philippine City, where it had sat for ages; I also bought a silver International for the same price; I later got another burgundy Centennial on eBay for $130 and sold that); the orange one (not a MacArthur) I found right here in the marketplace, for a remarkable $175 (I remember emailing a firm buy on it from 7,000 miles away); the sterling-silver Centennial I got for about $190 when our local Parker dealer in Manila had a closeout sale; and the pearl and black I got on eBay for $140. (I keep tabs of all these prices for when I resell some of my pens, but these ones are keepers.)

So they are out there at reasonable prices--offhand, I'd put anything $200 and below to be good for a Centennial, and maybe $150 for an International--but you have to look long and hard, and grab them quickly when you find them. Good luck!

To penmanila

Thamks for the beautiful image of your great collection. The pearl and black seems the prettiest to me.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

...EDIT: I just saw Anthony's post and updated mine to show my shared regard for the Big Red. Here's the one that travels with me:

10155727165_e5b84781ac_b.jpg

As regards the prices of modern Duofolds, I agree that the store prices may be steep, but (not being a millionaire) I was able to build up my collection with patience, perseverance, and that most important element of all, luck.

The Greenwich Centennial above was probably the most expensive, at $315 on eBay; if you look at the other Centennials in my picture, the burgundy-marble one cost me $130 (found in a department store in a southern Philippine City, where it had sat for ages; I also bought a silver International for the same price; I later got another burgundy Centennial on eBay for $130 and sold that); the orange one (not a MacArthur) I found right here in the marketplace, for a remarkable $175 (I remember emailing a firm buy on it from 7,000 miles away); the sterling-silver Centennial I got for about $190 when our local Parker dealer in Manila had a closeout sale; and the pearl and black I got on eBay for $140. (I keep tabs of all these prices for when I resell some of my pens, but these ones are keepers.)

So they are out there at reasonable prices--offhand, I'd put anything $200 and below to be good for a Centennial, and maybe $150 for an International--but you have to look long and hard, and grab them quickly when you find them. Good luck!

Hi Penmanila,

Thank you. :)

And thank you for the "heads-up" on the modern Duofolds... I wouldn't have any hesitations paying the prices you did. :D

I'll have to keep a closer eye on e-bay and FPN's MP. Thank you again, you've been very helpful and illuminating. Be well. :)

- Anthony

I have only one modern Duofold -an ivory Centennial - and I haven't inked it as yet and am not too enthuusiastic to ever ink it and use it. My vintage big reds and the English NS, AF and aero Duofolds are totally a different story.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Here is a picture of my Duofold son which are in the daily rotation.

They all write fantastic. I like the weight of the silver esparto very much.

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

When I read about the modern Duofold's cap finial falling off, that's a bit pants. A premium pen should not be relying on adhesives there.

I agree about the name. My old Duofold AF has the best nib of all my fps. It's simply a gorgeous writer in a way strangers will sit up and take notice when borrowing, but its a very understated pen somewhat at ends with the flagship name!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I find it really very surprising that UK Duofolds -- both International and Centennial models -- fetch much lesser price than other reputed brands like Pelikan and Montblanc. But Duofolds look very beautiful, perform perfectly and are free from the hazards of piston filling mechanism. They dont need tools for taking out nib and feed for cleaning either. The wooden boxes are pretty too. But despite all these, people dont want to pay for them as much as they pay for other reputed brands. Yes Montblancs are great and so are Pelikans, but exactly what make them so much ahead of UK Duofolds? I am not counting the current Duofolds here for obvious reasons. But my basic question remains.

Hope somebody would be able to answer it.

Beauty is subjective by definition.

A cartridge or converter pen is in general considered less valuable then a piston filled one.

Nib and feed disassembling system is in general not taken in consideration to judge a pen.

Wooden box are, at least for me, not important at all.

I have one duofold centennial in green among my hundred-something pens, bought in the early 90's, but I never use it.

It could be considered a nice pen maybe, but I leave it there, uninked.

I like my Duofold Centennials, which I find to be great daily writers, as long as stiff nibs suit your style. I wouldn't pay the prices being asked for new, but careful shopping has yielded pre-owned pieces at reasonable prices. I'd love to find a Greenwich!

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3A35C6D7-CFE2-41CC-B649-16ACDE5DA842%7D/origpict/IMG_1395%5B1%5D.JPG

I think trends have a lot to do with perception of brands. Modernish Parkers I think are perceived as a bit pedestrian, where as an urushi lacquered pen with a name you can't pronounce seems rare and exotic. As do pens with filling systems called mega power bulk filler! When it comes to the writing you just need to find what's good for you.