Which Pen To Use For A Unique Situation?

rh968

How about the Parker Prestige for the name? I've never seen one, just going by the name.

I hope you walk away from your oral defense knowing you left nothing unsaid that you wanted to say.

Posted Image

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• ReadyFireAim

• rh968

• tamiya

rh968 - is it time we all collectively congratulate you on your PhD?

And do tell us what was the pen you took with you - and did you had a chance to use it!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Pink thermal full length onesie with trap door.

An African pith helmet

A maroon ascot & matching sash

Carry a scepter & talk like a pirate

You will get noticed! ;) ;)

:lol:

- Anthony

rh968 - is it time we all collectively congratulate you on your PhD?

And do tell us what was the pen you took with you - and did you had a chance to use it!

Yes. Quite. Please let us know how it went and which pen you selected. :)

OTOH, following our advice might have got him kicked out of the program and the university... and he's now a counter clerk at the nearest Wimpy's. :unsure:

:D

- Anthony

Don't show off. Use a rollerball.

Allan😀😀

I'm sorry, I don't mean to imply that you'll be showing off. However, they may feel jealous and think you're showing offf.

Edited by FOUR X FOUR

My advisor always uses a (to my mind) very flashy Aurora 88 black w/ gold cap, so for my defense a few years ago I decided to one-up him with a vintage Parker "Big Red" that is rather unapologetic in its brightness. We have a friendly relationship, and people in the US are not as stuck up as they can be in the UK academy, so we all had a laugh about it at the end. I don't think I'd do that to an Oxford don I suppose.

What is your research on, if I may ask?

Edited by ninad

THANKS guys for all the witty and wonderful advice you have given me. You were all correct that I was obsessing over the small detail and not thinking about the bigger picture of what I was really there for, but sometimes I find it helpful to focus on something small as a distraction away from the major stresses of life. Just a personal psychological quirk, I know. And now for the news you have asked for. My viva was on Wednesday, I took with me the Sonnet as my lucky pen and a Cross pencil which I intended to use if I needed to write anything which I DID NOT NEED TO! However I still feel more comfortable having a nice pen on me. And yes, I wore the knitted tie. And the good news is I PASSED with a recommendation that I expand the thesis into a book. The interview went swimmingly well, and they liked me and my research, and all I have to do now is correct a few typos. SO THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU WHO WISHED ME WELL.I can now get on with the next stage of my life.

That's terrific news, RH... I'm glad you didn't end up at Wimpy's... :rolleyes: ...congratulations on your continued success. That's fantastic news. :thumbup:

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to remove redundant quote.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Congrats on your sucessful defence.

Please do tell me some tips and tricks. I have a post retirement (good job) interview in the country's apex white collar crime investigation & prosecution agency on 27th of this month. Ofcourse minus the pen suggestions. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

THANKS guys for all the witty and wonderful advice you have given me. You were all correct that I was obsessing over the small detail and not thinking about the bigger picture of what I was really there for, but sometimes I find it helpful to focus on something small as a distraction away from the major stresses of life. Just a personal psychological quirk, I know. And now for the news you have asked for. My viva was on Wednesday, I took with me the Sonnet as my lucky pen and a Cross pencil which I intended to use if I needed to write anything which I DID NOT NEED TO! However I still feel more comfortable having a nice pen on me. And yes, I wore the knitted tie. And the good news is I PASSED with a recommendation that I expand the thesis into a book. The interview went swimmingly well, and they liked me and my research, and all I have to do now is correct a few typos. SO THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU WHO WISHED ME WELL.I can now get on with the next stage of my life.

What an accomplishment. Congratulations!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I'd echo others and say that the pen to use is the pen you feel most comfortable using. You're going to impress them with your answers, not your appearance!

Congratulations and well done you. :)

Congratulations on your defense. Now you should celebrate and get another pen! :)

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Congratulations, Doctor.

Good advice - go and buy a new pen to celebrate.

I did! Cross, Sterling silver and I still have it 32 years later and still writes perfectly.