Which Pen To Use For A Unique Situation?

rh968

Hi,

As other Members have made wise and witty contributions, I have little to add.

I am very much on the side of reliability, and the 'quit thinking about your pen' approach.

(My daily writer at the office is a Parker Sonnet Flighter, and in the field a rotring 600.)

How much note-taking is anticipated? Being an oral exam I reckon it should be precious little.

In what's supposed to be a lively discussion / interview, if I were to be across a conference table from someone more involved with note-taking than continuing the conversation, I might wonder if their memory / listening skills were deficient. (Will the proceedings be recorded?)

Then again, a two-second sip-of-coffee pause can be useful for one to gather their thoughts, rather like a musician marking-up their score while humming along.

Perhaps I'd take my rotring 300 2mm clutch lead-holder, and some toothy copy/print paper in a folio. (None of that goofy Canary Yellow legal pad rubbish. And do not bring an eraser.)

Bye,

S1

__ __

Edit to add: Even though I would use the 300 during the course of events, I would still bring my Sonnet, which has become somewhat of a talisman over the years. And should there be any signing to be done, then your most lucky FP should be tucked in your suit jacket.

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• ReadyFireAim

• rh968

• tamiya

I had to look up what ABD meant

I had to look up viva exam.

The only word I could think of was vivisection and I was pretty sure that wasn't relevant :(

Having been on both sides of the doctoral defense, I can assure you that nobody will be looking at your pen. Go with what works for you and just relax. You've already done the hard part.

To me you are over-thinking the whole presentation thing, or maybe I am from a different country. Make sure you are wearing your underpants on the inside. The rest you already know so you will be fine, or your pen won't save you. You are taking it for the memory, to feel the part. I suggest you choose it on that basis.

X

First, I wish you all the best for your exam. Is this your dissertation defense or your oral exam prior to writing your dissertation?

Next, in regard to taking a writing instrument, I am going to horrify you by suggesting that you take a lovely PENCIL such as

- Parker Duofold (my first Duofold pencil was the orange special edition with which I wrote (longhand) five out of the six chapters for my dissertation),

- Caran D'Ache (I perfer the Hexagonal series with inlaid Chinese lacquer or the Hexagonal series Cubes, Ivanhoe, or Varius with inlaid Blue Chinese lacquer),

- Waterman Rhapsody 200 series,

- Waterman Patrician series (these pencils are very rare),

- Cartier Must II (red lacquer and black lacquer are striking as is the steel with gold accents), or

- Elysee lacquer finish (such as Edition 90, Edition No. 1, Edition No. 2, Impressions No. 1, Fineline, or En Vogue in Lapis, Cobra, or Tortoise).

I could suggest many other lovely pencils as well. The point is that a fully-loaded pencil will help you to avoid mishaps with ink as well as possible nib-damage in the event that you drop your pen. In addition, there is a psychology to the use of pencil rather than pen: students relax more when they know that they can erase errors than when they must cross/scratch out errors. I give my students (I teach at a university) a mechanical pencil at the beginning of the course (an investment on my part but well worth it in the long run) for them to use throughout the course. While I tell them that they are welcome to use any writing instrument of their choice, they quickly realize that they have more freedom-from-making-messes during exams when they use pencils; many of my students purchase nicer-than-disposable pencils and other writing instruments as they like the nice pens and pencils that I use during class; I use a document camera during class so that my students and I can work together and so that I can scan the in-class notes to PDF format for their use after class.

As a Ph.D. mathematician who impressed her committee with her preparedness and knowledge (my committee was so enthralled and I was having such a great time sharing my research that none of us noticed the time -- I went over the scheduled time for my dissertation defense! I passed with flying colors, and I had a wonderful time doing it!!!), I can attest to the importance of being well prepared over the flashiness of the pen that you carry. I was so well prepared for my dissertation defense that I had no need for any writing instruments: I knew my research so well that I anticipated every question that my committee could possibly ask. The pen that you carry will not help you to impress the committee but your knowledge will.

Finally, in regard to writing instrument to bring with you and use during your exam, I would suggest that you bring writing instruments which you consider to be your "friends". Having your writing instrument "friends" with you will help you to be relaxed so that you can concentrate on the questions that you are asked. Dress to test, not to impress.

Parker Sonnet Cisele 2016 model;

Cross Townsend Blue Quartz;

Parker Prestige Duofold Blue Chevron;

Cross Medallist Peerless 125;

Yard-o-Led Viceroy Standard Model;

Waterman Night and Day Exception (gold trim).

These are my ''lucky'' pens, if luck exists in such a stressful situation! Any sartorial advice would be most welcome:

Get a 6pk leather pen case, bring them all! :D are they all reliable?

Personally I haven't had much luck with my Crosses, gotten burnt by them too often to bother using them anymore. So bring 4 FPs plus a Jotter and a Pencil.

Anything tecchie or geeky I tend to grab a Lamy Safari/AlStar if diverting attention is the goal.

If jotting only a word or 2 of notes every 3-5mins, then furious bout of manual calculating on your notepad is likely... I'd be clicking that Jotter. I keep a bunch in various refills, I'd pick a a gel ink to pack.

Congratulations!

That said, take your most dependable writing instrument, and keep a back-up on your person, since it sounds like they might not stop the questioning for you to get your pen working.

I keep an old propelling pencil in a pocket just in case.

Then take half a Xanax about a half-hour before the thing starts...I used to do that before a presentation; it takes the edge off.

Hi RH,

Just to follow-up, so far, no one has given you the ideal writing instrument... so I will... bring a Crayola crayon with you. Your guts and originality will win the day!

(And don't forget a fluted handkerchief in the breast pocket of that navy blue suit ;)).

- Anthony

Well, everyone's body chemistry is different. One doesn't want to be in full-freakout mode at such an important event, and it might be bad form to come in redolent of alcohol.

This is supposed to be about the pen, so perhaps we could suggest the pen be filled with a suitable solution of choice, and licked at moments of tension during the meeting before pretending to write.

X

This is supposed to be about the pen, so perhaps we could suggest the pen be filled with a suitable solution of choice, and licked at moments of tension during the meeting before pretending to write.

This is true... I've sometimes considered buying a second L2K and filling it with Bushmills Black... as I've often felt the need for a drink whenever one of the interns tries to explain something to me. Fortunately, I do not have to face this dreaded event too often; as my managers usually act as the intermediaries... but I like to be approachable... and every now and then, one slips through.

But I shy away from the idea; out of the fear I may accidentally fill it with DeAtramentis Whiskey and take a swig of it by mistake. :sick:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

here, start with

2200_16.jpg

then if needs be move onto

_whisky-tinte.jpg

Pen wise, a fat wet feed & largest available capacity.

:P

Congratulations and best wishes for your exam

Never been there myself so please take what I suggest with a grain of salt

My first thought was to lose the knitted tie. Too casual looking.

​Secondly forget the fountain pen. Go for a reliable roller ball AND gel pen. Make sure they write although as someone said it's an oral defense so writing should be minimal.

Again. Best of luck but as it's been said we make our own luck. And it sounds like you've done all the prep work.

My first thought was to lose the knitted tie. Too casual looking.

Hi PS104,

I thought the same thing... I would wear a standard cut, burgundy silk, myself; but RH is from Cambridge... and I think within British academic circles, the cotton knitted tie makes a different statement than it does here.

Granted, this is just my own assumption; the ball is in RH's court as to which would be a better option within his milieu. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Use a reliable pen, preferably an inexpensive one. You have to make an impression from your speaking, not from your pen. Besides, think about dropping your pen or something like that (it will be a stressful situation) and you won't be focused on your defense anymore.

Congratulations for this step!

Best wishes, whatever FP you take, I would advise that you also take a good mechanical pencil, just in case ;)

Hi RH,

Just to follow-up, so far, no one has given you the ideal writing instrument... so I will... bring a Crayola crayon with you. Your guts and originality will win the day!

(And don't forget a fluted handkerchief in the breast pocket of that navy blue suit ;)).

- Anthony

Pink thermal full length onesie with trap door.

An African pith helmet

A maroon ascot & matching sash

Carry a scepter & talk like a pirate

You will get noticed! ;) ;)

Edited by Bordeaux146