Photobucket Want's Money, What Is A Good Free One?

Bo Bo Olson

The fact that FPN has a working image upload feature should be better promoted among all users. Additionally if I may suggest... use should be simplified, it's not the most straightforward of processes. :thumbup:

As an old lazy dog, simplification is a must. I took one look at how to do that, and gibbered.

Imgur is not as simple as I'd like either. It will take me quite a while to add enough photos to be able to toss pictures around in posts like I use to.

Yea, the image upload definitely has to be better. I would use it...if I had ever successfully gotten the darn thing to work! I mostly use my phone to upload photos to forums, and even it takes photos which exceed the size limits. Which means I have to find a way to resize them. It's just too much of a hassle to bother with in its current incarnation. If it weren't I would gladly use it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Bluey

• KellyMcJ

• sansenri

It's a pain to have to take two or three steps to do something that was once done in one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It's a pain to have to take two or three steps to do something that was once done in one.

This. I'm sure I could resize the pics but it puts posting on this forum in the "too much hassle to be worth doing" which would suck because I enjoy sharing pics.

yes, it's a rather cumbersome process

however this is how I do it, step by step

I am usually in the thread where I want to post a photo

go to the top of the page, in the blue menu, and right click the upload tab, that opens the image hosting page,

click on that page, then click the browse button,

this opens an explorer window where you can search and select your image

(make sure it is already resized, otherwise you may also do it from there, right click the image, open it in a image editing program, resize, save - with another name to avoid overwriting your larger size image... - , select the resized image), click open

back in the image hosting page, click the black button, add image

that opens a preview window with your photo, scroll down, where you read Direct link: select, right click and copy the image address.
now go back to the page where you are writing your post (if you followed my steps, its the tab on the left to the image hosting page)

now in the editing tools choose the green window marked "image"

in the URL field right click, paste the address you just copied, click ok, your photo is in!
I usually preview post to check I've done it right...

fpn_1507322314__p1110997-3.jpg

Yet no garantee they won't fix this. All cumbersome work for nothing. Forget Photobucket. They commited suicide. Photobucket is dead.

Sansenri, I got dizzy just reading that.

Or it looks faster to write a hundred words.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

sansenri, thanks, it looks doable, but it is really convoluted compared to other sites I frequent. If I did it every day, I guess I would remember all the steps. But if I did it every day, I would be really frustrated with how obtuse it is.

Getting back to PB, I have never used it and don't understand exactly what is going on. Their site says they offer free hosting, but that you have to pay to link to your photos from other sites. That actually sounds reasonable to me. If you post pix of the kids and tell family maybe six people will go to an image once. But if images are linked at FPN then I may hit them for ten or twenty images I may not even want to see just while scrolling through a thread of interest. Multiply that by the number of members, and the number of sites where people post pictures, and it could be a huge amount of traffic for PB. My guess is that they grossly underestimated future traffic and are now desperate to get out. (This does not excuse how poorly they handled their exit.)

In any case, has anything changed in the process of copying photos from PB to your hard drive? It sounds like people are having trouble doing that. Is that new, or was it always a one-way street? Or are some people having trouble and others not? (Sorry but I can't feel too sorry for anyone who trusted their only copy of an image to a "free" online service.)

Perhaps all the sites that are now infested with PB ads could take them to court for posting on sites where they are not members.

Sansenri, I got dizzy just reading that.

Or it looks faster to write a hundred words.

It also only works on the full version of the site. I mostly upload pics from my phone (because I use my phone camera) but post reviews from the computer (typing is faster). The full version of the site on a phone isn't great. So add "change site format" to the beginning of that list.

well you are all quite right, I did say it's cumbersome...

just for those who never managed to get it working... :lol: I though I would write instructions on how to do it... (or at least, how I do it, I am not sure if there is a better way...)

and yes, it is more complex to write than actually do...

and then again it could be easier...

my complaint is especially that it used to be easier! so why now is it worse? (don't things get better when they are updated?... :o mhm... better not open this door...)

regarding PB I am very fortunate that I have never used it!

and also I do not trust cloud storage, I ALWAYS have my own copies and back up of them...

what really makes me mad is how PB went about it, no warning and then suddenly 400$ if you want to show your pens to your friends on FPN...

I am not using PB, but they are damaging me too!!