The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Some Blues And Feathering

feathering fountain pen ink

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iiiiiii

iiiiiii

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2017 - 23:20

Some time ago, while looking for a blue ink I could use at work, I decided to test my potential candidates for feathering. It's not a definitive test and the results may be misleading and disputed. Also, the fact that one ink feathers does not mean that it's worse than those which don't. It may just have some other equally important qualities.

In a dry pen most of these inks will behave acceptably. However, for me this testing was important mainly because some of my favourite pens are wet writers and if not paired with a right ink they become almost useless on copy papers.

I used a single, old and fairly wet (high flow) pen and tested 25 mainly blue(ish) inks on two types of paper: one relatively fountain pen friendly and another more absorbent. Below are the results and low resolution photos. For more detailed images please follow the link to the album.

None to minimal feathering

R&K Salix
Diamine Registrar's
Akkerman 10 BB
Callifolio Equinoxe 6

Minimal feathering

Pelikan Royal Blue
Callifolio Mediterranee
Callifolio Atlantique

Mild spread and feathering

Sheaffer Skrip Blue
Aurora Blue
R&K Scabiosa
Callifolio Azure
Waterman Serenity

On the absorbent type of paper (front and back):

35356603800_0a29db4fe3_z.jpg
35356592030_7d1002d753_z.jpg

On the fountain pen friendly type of paper:

35744212845_6e2d1e72ec_z.jpg
35356584980_614d66cdf1_z.jpg

Edited by birchtine, 06 July 2017 - 22:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2017 - 23:43

Thanks!

#3 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2017 - 14:45

Nice work! I use Callifolio inks a lot and have found them to be very reliable.

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#4 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2017 - 19:15

Thank you for this really useful comparison!

#5 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:38

Thanks for the comparison... copy paper is indeed mostly terrible. But you've given me the idea to keep a list of pen/nib/ink combinations that work well with cheap copy paper. My current strategy is to use EF nibs at work to alleviate this problem. Not a great strategy, but it usually works :-)

#6 iiiiiii

iiiiiii

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:39

It is a good strategy but I like to think that ink producers should do more to make their inks working better on the greater range of papers so we don't need to worry about pens and papers we use.

L'Artisan Pastellier is a good example of making a great effort. Also, the Pelikan produces some brilliant inks. I think it is partly because they have more varied customer base extending well beyond fountain pen enthusiasts and their awareness of fountain pen friendly notebooks.

#7 iiiiiii

iiiiiii

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:32

I've been using Equinoxe 6 for some time and have noticed mild feathering on more absorbent papers. It's not significant and shouldn't cause a headache but I need to move this ink down my list.

None to minimal feathering

R&K Salix
Diamine Registrar's
Akkerman 10 BB

Minimal feathering

Pelikan Royal Blue
Callifolio Mediterranee
Callifolio Atlantique

Mild spread and feathering

Callifolio Equinoxe 6
Sheaffer Skrip Blue
Aurora Blue
R&K Scabiosa
Callifolio Azure
Waterman Serenity

Diamine Registrar's, Salix, Pelikan Royal Blue, Méditerranée, Atlantique and Azure hold firmly their positions. I can't guarantee the same with other inks because I know them only from samples and didn't test them as thoroughly.

Edited by birchtine, 19 July 2017 - 11:40.

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:15

Now, please please please put these into a window and then show us how they fade.  *Well, only put 1/2 the sheet in the window. These are wonderful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 20,465 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 13:06

Some ink producers, have to match the ink to their nib & feed, first.

It's not really the ink makers fault, the paper makers cheap out on the coating.

IMO up to the @1970 we had the Golden Age of Pens, @ 1980 the Golden Age of Paper.....and now the Golden Age of Ink.

A number of posters who lived in the States, luckily (postal costs US to Europe is ruinous) , said get vintage paper off Ebay.....in all papers were so much better.

It all comes down to the coating of the paper to how fountain pen friendly it is....and coating costs bonus money.

I have the remains of a late '70's cheap paper pad.....back when I was a Ball Point Barbarian, and wouldn't dream of wasting beer money on ink for my single fountain pen I didn't use much, in fear it would walk being a P-75.

I did have a Jukey Dasiywheel printer..........but didn't use good Zanders BankPost....bond paper in that was 'fancy' paper for letters. That is where I found 12 sheets of that cheap notebook paper...some decades later.

It is perfect fountain pen paper...both sides. ..... :crybaby: It don't have a watermark, so I can never trace what paper mill made it.............I still have 8 pieces left.

I think I should move that into my ink testing folder.

Typing paper being one sided was only coated on one side.  The old and no longer made ...Eaton's Corrasable 25% rag typewriter paper 16 lb.....is fantastic on one side....................the other side it bleeds big time.

I'm glad that paper was too good for the printer, also.

But as a typewriter paper it was only once side as is.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 17 April 2018 - 10:04.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#10 paradigm

paradigm

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 16:03

I will add:

Visconti Blue - No or minimal feathering

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feathering, fountain pen ink

Sponsored Content