The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is My Model J Cap And Barrel Mismatched?

model j esterbrook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sketchboy

Sketchboy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2017 - 22:47

Hello,

I bought a Model J pen recently and it is in transit from the seller. I've attached a photo from the seller.

model_J.jpg

I've just noticed that the cap has the ribbed jewel with no Esterbrook stamp on the clip, which (to my understanding) is an early "transitional-era" cap (1943-1948). The barrel also has a jewel, which comes from the final version of the Model J (1948 and onward). What I've gleaned from Richard Binder's website is that the ribbed cap jewel was gone and replaced by the smooth jewel even before Esterbrook started adding jewels to the barrel end. So my initial thought is that this is a mismatch of two Model J eras.

To those more informed than I on this matter, is this a mismatch? Or is this pairing documented somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your information!

Edited by Sketchboy, 05 July 2017 - 23:05.

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 00:55

Seems to be a mismatch.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:39

But not a serious mismatch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model j, esterbrook

Sponsored Content

|