Cartridge Almost Emptied. Why?

Misfit

At the last minute on Independence Day, I remembered my Retro 51 Signatures pen. I wanted to use it before the day was over. Using a J Herbin Lie de The cartridge, I had a bit of trouble installing it. It was a bit crooked at one point. I remember turning it back and forth to make sure it was seated.

Later I notice stains on my clothes. Quite a few of them. Realizing it was most likely ink, I checked the cartridge and it was practically empty.

Was it my trouble installing the cartridge that caused the rapid emptying? I've only used this pen once; it has been stored inside its tube.

Posted Image

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Well, there's leakage, which usually accumulates in the cap or barrel, often a sign of faulty mating of cartridge to the section nipple.

Ensure that your pen and cartridge combo are compatible - there's all kinds of mis-matches, especially when dealing with 'generics'. :(

Then there's another avenue - the collector / feed is managing the ink, as it should. :)

Pens such as Waterman's Carene, have massive feed+collector units, so hold at least a cartridge-worth (~1ml) with ease, and can still be thirsty.

As a matter of personal practice, I use a converter to flood a pens' ink management bits, and only then afix a cartridge.

Plus https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293654-how-much-ink-will-a-feed-hold-by-itself/?p=3406365

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi Sandy1. The ink seemed to end up in the cap not the barrel. Since I admit to having trouble installing the cartridge, would you say that is where the problem started? I'm fine with it being my fault. At least I'd know what to do better next time.

I have a Retro 51 Lincoln extended which has a converter. The Signatures pen is smaller, and the converter does not fit it.

I did use it once successfully.

As for my clothes, wash one did not remove all ink stains. I rubbed Era liquid detergent into the stains, and added towels since all the jeans laundry is done. Hopefully the towels will act as "washboards" and help get out the stains. I used Amodex first.

Oh S1, I enjoy your ink reviews! Very thorough, and enjoyable.

Posted Image

Stains still in clothes but lighter.

I'm guessing I goofed putting the cartridge in but would appreciate input. I did turn the capped pen nib down to get the ink flowing. I think that's what Sandy1 was suggesting.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Hi,

If the cartridge or converter is not well-mated to the section nipple the capillary action (which makes FPs possible) will fail - ink will just drip out the nib into the cap.

You are correct to evaluate the situation by affixing a cartridge /converter, then leave it in a nib-down posture to determine from where it leaks.

It might be the case that there is inky build-up at the base of the section nipple, which could prevent a proper seal.

As ever. I suggest giving any pen a good cleaning if it misbehaves, then go ahead and do some diagnostics. (This sort of thing can be a right nuisance.)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Sandy1. You are very kind to answer. I rinsed the pen and put another cartridge on much better. I'll try storing it upside down tomorrow. I got a Karas Kustoms Fountain K today, and it's taken my pen time.

Posted Image