The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Experiments With Flex

ease my flex dip pen nibs affordable flex bobje

166 replies to this topic

#161 wetlines

wetlines

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 20:12

There is a feed you can already buy that will work with Zebra G nibs. It's the Ackerman Pen. You can buy the feeds separately. I have a bunch and use them in my Gold 992s see image. Oddly enough, the actual feed + spacer fit perfectly in a 992 with no modding at all. Zebra + Ackerman + 992 is a trifecta! 

992-gold-s.jpg

I've also modded one to fit a Lecai! NOTE: Seems as tho Ackerman has modified the feed, there is a new feed and an old one. The older one fits perfect in a 992 with its own spacer. The new ones, you'll have to find an extra spacer to wrap around the nib and feed to friction fit it tight into the section.

Edited by wetlines, 21 September 2017 - 20:16.

Sponsored Content

#162 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 22:55

Is this the item?

https://ackermanpens...erfeed-standard

#163 wetlines

wetlines

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:13

Yes that is the item. NOTE that there is new version. The newer version doesn't fit as well in a 992. If you are going to order the feed specifically for the 992 you have to specify the "old" feed in the notes section and/or email him after you place the order. For the 992 you will need 2 things.

Feed (old style)

https://ackermanpens...erfeed-standard

Spacer

https://ackermanpens...roducts/spacers

Place the nib on feed, then place spacer on top of nib. Then place whole "unit" into 992 section. Done.

It is also possible to do this without ordering a spacer and making your own "spacer". You can cut like a piece of thin rubber tubing or heat shrink wrap tubing. I was able to use this technique to fit a "newer style" feed into an Ahab, and it works great.

Final note: The most important part about this, is the ink. Not all inks work. EoC works. Noodlers black does NOT work. Noodlers black always railroads on me. You need wet ink. There are some inks that 'almost' work (with little railroading), with these inks you can add a surfactant to the ink and it will flex beautifully with almost no railroads. 

Edited by wetlines, 22 September 2017 - 01:16.

#164 Pen_Ingeneer

Pen_Ingeneer

Nullius in Verba dixit ingeniarius

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:04

You may have noticed that my photo has changed.  When I saw the photo, I was very surprised, thinking I was looking at myself.  It's a Northern Garnet photographed by Raymond Barlow (great website with many free photos)  :)

xxxx

Inspired by this forum I almost finished writing an article on the function of flex nibs.  I am at a point where I try to explain why fps still write after the front of the flex nib has lifted off the feed and I realised that I am making too many assumptions (I have some ideas  :rolleyes: ).   The point of focus is the Pilot Falcon because I have some overall photos and I like its nib.

In order to understand the function of a flex nib combined with a Pilot Falcon I would need some photos of the feed only... or if someone has a spare one (just the feed)... it does not need to work, only the front end needs to be undamaged... to have it in my hot little hands. 

Another possibility would be photos of any other WORKING flex nib - feed combination with photos of the feed by itself.   B)

Thanks, help very appreciated  ;)

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2 

visit Fountain Pen Design

#165 Pen_Ingeneer

Pen_Ingeneer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:11

Has a look at that one... gives me an idea about how it works... could anyone get me close up photos? 

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2 

#166 Pen_Ingeneer

Pen_Ingeneer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 00:16

Not much to say... the Flex nib article is published!   :rolleyes: 

I want to thank all the people who have contributed to this forum and allowed me to use the information.   :thumbup:

You know how to get there.  Check it out, help me to improve it and let's get this forum going again!  :P

Edited by Pen_Ingeneer, 21 December 2017 - 08:55.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2 

#167 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 19:23

...let's get this forum going again!  :P

I started playing with stainless nibs again.

I've pretty much given up on #6 nibs entirely because of mediocre results (FPR & Noodler's)

I also stopped trying to do anything with the FPR #5 for the same reason.

My greatest successes have come from stuffing a #2 Creaper nib (Noodler's) in the Himalayan & Triveni (Both FPR)

No flex modifications have been necessary when properly set-up & only minor grinding of the tip is necessary to produce hairlines.

It makes for a practical carry pen that doesn't have to have its nib pulled every night.

Edited by Bordeaux146, 23 December 2017 - 19:32.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ease my flex, dip pen nibs, affordable flex, bobje

Sponsored Content

|