Platinum Cool: It Was The Ink After All?

senzen

I have two Platinum Cool pens, which I understand are just the demo versions of the Balance. Ever since I got them one has had no problems (with Asa Gao), the other would not start, unless I used the nib upside down first, for a few words. I got fed up again, and cleaned it with a drop of soap, for the fifth or sixth time; but this time I replaced Vert Empire with Chiku Rin... And lo, no starting problems! Luckily I (think I) managed to recover a Waterman Laureat for Vert Empire. At this point I have stopped trying to understand the physics of it all and I'm just glad something worked. The ink gods have somehow been appeased!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• mitto

• SoulSamurai

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fountain pens is an Art, not simple rocket science.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It is certainly a mystery that Vert Empire wouldn't flow in your Platinum Cool. In your place, I would run the experiment of trying Vert Empire in your other Platinum Cool.

I have a Platinum Balance in which I use mostly Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa, an iron gall ink. I have had no problems with flow, either with Scabiosa or with any other ink I have used in the Balance. The one issue I have had is with the converters. In the 20+ years I have used fountain pens, I have never had another converter fail, but I am on my third Platinum converter after less than two years.

I have been custom making converters for my Platinum pens. I dont use the Platinum converter in my Platinum pens.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have been custom making converters for my Platinum pens. I dont use the Platinum converter in my Platinum pens.

There is an adaptor available that allows Platinum pens to use standard international cartridges. Perhaps use that adapter in conjunction with a standard international converter would be easier?

Edited by SoulSamurai

There is an adaptor available that allows Platinum pens to use standard international cartridges. Perhaps use that adapter in conjunction with a standard international converter would be easier?

Hi SoulSamari

Try this link as a starting point, https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PT21607/platinum-international-adapter

I've found the Platinum converters are terrible - I always buy two because I have a perfect 50% failure rate; I have Jinhao and Lamy that are much better, it's a shame because the pens are wonderful but the converters make me think twice about buying the pens.

Al

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I recently purchased one but haven't tried it yet; if the converter in my new Plaisir fails or I decide to use the pen with cartridges (quite possible) then I'll give it a go.

Edited by SoulSamurai

I use no adopter. I custom make the black button of corresponding size and make squeeze converters using blank sacguards (with no marking/brand name) found on fillers of some vintage chinese pens.

Khan M. Ilyas

Here is one:

post-117288-0-65938500-1499257039_thumb.jpg

The pen is vintage Sterling Vermeil Platinum with 18k white gold nib. Sorry for the low quality light and hence low quality pic.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I use no adopter. I custom make the black button of corresponding size and make squeeze converters using blank sacguards (with no marking/brand name) found on fillers of some vintage chinese pens.

Interesting, I might have to try that someday. Do you have a link to a guide or something on how to do this?

Interesting, I might have to try that someday. Do you have a link to a guide or something on how to do this?

No link. It is my own invention. It is a 'mitto made' Platinum squeeze converter that can easily be resaced. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Fountain pens is an Art, not simple rocket science.

I was thinking more witchcraft...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

It is certainly a mystery that Vert Empire wouldn't flow in your Platinum Cool. In your place, I would run the experiment of trying Vert Empire in your other Platinum Cool.

I have a Platinum Balance in which I use mostly Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa, an iron gall ink. I have had no problems with flow, either with Scabiosa or with any other ink I have used in the Balance. The one issue I have had is with the converters. In the 20+ years I have used fountain pens, I have never had another converter fail, but I am on my third Platinum converter after less than two years.

My Platinum converters work, but they are very hard to turn, and start disassembling as you do... Not a friendly design.

B. Russell

Sounds great, but beyond my manual abilities...

B. Russell

That would have been my instinct, except I've come to just be thankful when an ink / pen combination works. Chiku Rin does come out way wetter than in other pens, I had flossed the nib a little before, which had no effect on Vert Empire.

B. Russell

Sounds great, but beyond my manual abilities...

Nothing is beyond man's manual and/or mental abilities.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I just switched from Chiku Rin to Equinoxe 6, starts right away, poor Vert Empire is cursed!

B. Russell

Here is one:

20170705_171451-1.jpg

The pen is vintage Sterling Vermeil Platinum with 18k white gold nib. Sorry for the low quality light and hence low quality pic.

You should post a detailed 'how-to'. This is really great...

A lifelong FP user...

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I recently purchased one but haven't tried it yet; if the converter in my new Plaisir fails or I decide to use the pen with cartridges (quite possible) then I'll give it a go.

I use my Plaisirs with cartridges. Platinum's cartridges are relatively wide-mouthed, and I can refill them with disposable bulb pipettes.

After a week of being out in the open, this pen again failed to start with Équinoxe 6... :gaah: . Started fine today after spending its time in a pouch... So it might have a problem with evaporation.

B. Russell