Should I Get The Hero 332?

Finepoint87

I have never used a Hero 332 before. Having experience with Chinese pens in the past, I have used quite a few WingSung chinese fountain pens, some of them are amongst my favorite pens. I have used & own some Parker 51 esque Hero pens. I have used the Hero 329 & the Hero 616. Due to quality control issues with some of my Hero pens, I am hesitant to purchase the Hero 332. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with their experiences using the Hero 332. Thanks.

Sincerely - Finepoint87

Edited by Finepoint87

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Finepoint87

• k3eax

• sciumbasci

I'd buy a Hero 100 or a 616 Doctor from a local reseller. Albeit it might be true that you pay a little extra, you can always send it back to the vendor for a refund or an exchange in case the item is defective. Isn't the 332 discontinued? I just checked eBay and the pens are listed as nos. if you are into that cap style, there are alternatives from Pakistan. Although not a real 100% match, it seems to be close enough (to my eye)

Edited by sciumbasci

Thanks for the info. I was also interested in getting a 565. Awesome 👍.

Sincerely-Finepoint87

The 33x series is pretty interesting. For collection purpose I would surely like to have at least one of them. Together with the 100, 616 they made up the classic trip of Hero's vintage hooded nib range. But for all intented purpose if I am looking for a new one to write with that writes without hassle I would recommend any of Hero's current offering instead. Say model 9601

If you really wanting a 33x Hero I would recommend the 335 its the aluminium metal barreled version always with a Fude nib ; its not always that you xan find a fude nibbed pen at this price no less a hooded nib version

I usually shy away from fountain pens made later than the 1990's. Vintage pens fit my style. I guess I really like the depth that their story provides.

I tend to collect vintage Hero,Parker,Sheaffer,Scripto,Ultra,or WingSung fountain pens. I have atleast 15 Jinhao pens, but they are too bland for my liking. I do like the Jinhao 599 though.

Some of the more modern pens I really like include the YongSheng 052, the Jinhao 599,the Hero 266,the Noodlers creeper, the Noodlers Standard Piston Poltergeist Flex,The Pilot 78g,the Jinhao 500 etc.

I am more of a hooded/exotic nib type of person. So most modern pens I have had to deal with are not to my liking with exceptions to some Heros, YongShengs etc.

Edited by Finepoint87

Hero and Wing Sung , sure made the primary and the parent pattern for all Chinese hooded nib pens , but between them there are still differences. The Hero 100, 616, 329/33X, despite all being hooded nib, actually use three different kind of hooded nib which of course are not interchangeable. Likewise Wing Sung used yet another ( which is the parent pattern for all modern day late models of all brand ). The interesting bit is that Hero, and Wing Sung in those days of course, license the spec and pattern to other 2nd tier and local brands ( planned economy ) and its these variants that show the most interesting samples I would say.

The Hero 329, 329-2, then 330 and 33X ( and some 34X models ) all use a 21.5mm X 3.3mm hooded nib which is only ever used by one other Mfr ( Gold Star ) so in that sense I surely think if you have not yet got any of them, it would be an addition to the collection. The Hero 565 is simply a re-issue ( with appropriate branding ) of the old Gold Star 565, but being a very new production ( aka 2014 onward ) it would be a no fuss buy. Personally I've always find the 330 the smoothest among the vintage models even beating those gold nibbed ones. Other thena the previously mentioned 335, all 33X variant are just the same pen with cosmetic differences.

Interesting info. WinSung is actually my favorite fountain pen brand. I appreciate you knowledge & enthusiasm on the matter. I have recently acquired a Hero 329-2, a WingSung 730,a Hero 366,a Hero 616 etc. I Just ordered a Hero 221 & a Hero 340. My favorite fountain pen is the WingSung 235. I haven't really ever heard of the Hero 340 until recently. Any thoughts on the matter?

Edited by Finepoint87

The 340 is basically a 330 with a metal barrel. Kid of the up market version