The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Kaweco Sport Converter: The Nightmare Continues

kaweco sport converter

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 21:00

Just thinking about reusing the kaweco cartridge that came with my skyline sport, how many times can I reuse if filled with a syringe? I mean some of the cartridges tend to crack at the mouth. Almost all of my LAMY cartridges and several other brands have cracked after reusing for a couple of times.

Some people here on FPN refill cartridges all the time with no problems.  I prefer not to refill.  I only use cartridges in my two Kaweco Dia2s & my Lilliput.  These pens are not used very often.

I have found that after a few refills, a cartridge no longer fits as securely at its mouth.  No matter if the cart was made by a reputable manufacturer, the plastic at the opening gets deformed. 

It's like removing & re-attaching your converter every single time you would fill a cartridge/converter pen.  Your converter would eventually leak at its mouth if you regularly pulled it out & plugged it in.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

Sponsored Content

#42 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 21:24

Please tell me how did you make the squeeze converter at home? 

See the YouTube video in post #13 in this thread.

#43 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2018 - 17:49

I gave the brand a whirl with an Al Sport. After much tinkering with the medium for flow from the nib, cartridge and squeeze converter I got it going. I ended up PIF for another user that I thought may enjoy it. I really tried to like it. I really did. If the pen wrote out of the box I think I would have felt different about the brand.

#44 MilanKov

MilanKov

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2018 - 21:22

I used same cartridge without leaking about 4 five times. Weirdly enough my Kaweco doesn't like Pelikan cartridges at all. when I pop new one in they do not seal properly and are all wobbly and leak. Does anyone encountered similar problem. 

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

#45 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2018 - 17:27

No, both my two Kaweco Sports take Pelikan cartridges without problem. They just don't like the ink. Flow is bad with Pelikan. Perfect with Kaweco ink and J.Herbin.

#46 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2018 - 21:28

I used same cartridge without leaking about 4 five times. Weirdly enough my Kaweco doesn't like Pelikan cartridges at all. when I pop new one in they do not seal properly and are all wobbly and leak. Does anyone encountered similar problem. 

My daily carry pen is a stainless Lilliput loaded with a Pelikan blue/black cart.  I need an ink with some water resistance. Pelikan's b/b is the only ink I know that has this quality & is packaged in an international cartridge form. 

In more than two years of using this pen & ink combination, I've never had a Pelikan cart come loose or leak.  I must have used up easily 3 or 4 dozen Pelikan b/b cartridges, using each one only once.  If I would have reused (that is refilled) the Pelikan carts, perhaps I too would be having leaking issues, but I've always considered ink cartridges to be single use items. 

This is just my experience Kaweco pens (I have three) & Pelikan ink carts.  You may get different results with your Kaweco pen.

PS:  Pelikan inks in general are quite dry & do not seem to perform well with Kaweco's feed system.  All my Kaweco (Bock) nibs/feeds had to be modified by a nib tech to flow properly.  Out of the box, the Kawecos wrote dry, even more so with Pelikan ink.

Edited by tinta, 24 May 2018 - 21:41.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#47 MilanKov

MilanKov

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:42

It is but I as I said i found it weird I tried two cartridges of pelikan violet from 2 different packs and every time they wouldn't just stay and would eventually i do not know the proper word disengage  fits most accurately from the nipple. I also had problem with J. Herbin ink Terre de Fue and it was definitely no go for my kaweco as it was absolutely no flow. Sigh I sometimes really doesn't like this pen.

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

#48 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2018 - 21:08

It is but I as I said i found it weird I tried two cartridges of pelikan violet from 2 different packs and every time they wouldn't just stay and would eventually i do not know the proper word disengage  fits most accurately from the nipple. I also had problem with J. Herbin ink Terre de Fue and it was definitely no go for my kaweco as it was absolutely no flow. Sigh I sometimes really doesn't like this pen.

It could be your Kaweco feed's nipple that may be the problem.  You may want to try another feed. 

BTW, what Kaweco pen do you own? 

#49 MilanKov

MilanKov

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:39

It could be your Kaweco feed's nipple that may be the problem.  You may want to try another feed. 
BTW, what Kaweco pen do you own? 

I am thinking of buying another whole nib unit anyway I have Al Sport black stonewashed.

Edited by MilanKov, 30 May 2018 - 08:53.

#50 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2018 - 17:58

I am thinking of buying another whole nib unit anyway I have Al Sport black stonewashed.

A nice pen Milan. 

The ALs are a good choice, as replacement nib units for these Kawecos are readily available & not very expensive. 

It's an easy-nib unit to install.  The Bock/Kaweco 060 feed however, can sometimes flow a little on the dry side.  I have four 14K nibs with this type of feed system.  All my feeds needed some extra work to make them flow better. 

I prefer my pens to flow on the wet side because I mostly use dry inks & write with wide, edged nibs.  If you do not need pens that write particularly wet, then the 060 factory nib-units may flow just fine for you.

#51 Micat

Micat

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:13

Not having fun with mine either! I can't get the hard plastic converter to seat properly in my Sport. It comes free inside the pen in my pocket. It wasn't a problem for the first week really, just reseated it. Today I reached in my pocket to get my pen and discovered my hand covered in KWZ Grapefruit! I'm going to "convert" to refilling cartridges for my Sport if I want to explore different inks with it.

#52 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 21:42

Common problem. But cartridges will wear out too and the same problem will occur. The trick is to put a not to hard spring or a  short piece foam rubber behind the converter or cartridge to avoid them slipping of the feed.

#53 MilanKov

MilanKov

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2018 - 13:42

So update on my problem with the Pelican cartridges I bought 1.1 stub nib unit and Pelican cartridges now fit fine and I have to say I love this nib, it is smooth and work very well no hard starts or skipping so far I am impressed.

Cheers Milan

#54 Cjayant

Cjayant

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2018 - 23:21

I have a Sport and it is with a piston converter. No problem with that.

I have a second mini converter on a MontBlanc Mozart and it is a very short pen it is ok on the pen halfway fill and converter position need to be closed as the pen barrel doesn't take that length. All the pistons are perfect in my hand. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kaweco, sport, converter

Sponsored Content

|