Week #27 / 2 Jul: Ink-Dependence - 2017 Weekly Ink Project

lgsoltek

Celebrate Fourth of July with our American friends with a blue ink and a red ink. Bonus points for using American inks!

As usual, don't forget to share with us your choice of ink, your writing, drawing, doodling or anything with the ink in this thread. You can take a photo, make a scan, or even better, write letters and CRV reviews (what is a CRV?) and mail them to the many ink pals here. You are welcome to check back on this thread even when we've gone past this week.

Click here to read more about this community project. Links to the two previous links can be found there too.

---------

Next week: Liberté, égalité, fraternité

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had fun with these, so I'm afraid there is a tonne of photos.

35537223061_af55d3aa17_k.jpg

35537221731_b5ae8a7849_k.jpg

35537219931_160f0d8c4d_k.jpg

35537220771_879858d143_k.jpg

35537223911_91402e7efb_k.jpg

Easy choice on the red - I love this ink - but a few on the blue shortlist. Ruled out Sailor Sky High because it felt too light and PR Cosmic Cobalt because I didn't want to put in a vintage pen. I mainly have greeny-blues, but they didn't go too well with the cherry red.

Excellent photos :)

Agreed. Great lighting.

And the writing samples are exquisite.

Well I don't have such gorgeous photography as Liz does!

I'm not quite satisfied with the new Blackstone Kunzea Red (their old Uluru Red either, for that matter). They both look vibrant when fresh on paper, but quickly dry to a flat and muted colour. They both look a bit too brown for my taste.

fpn_1498999393__jpeg_image-f9b3dd1162b4-

fpn_1498999399__jpeg_image-f9b3dd1162b4-

fpn_1498999405__jpeg_image-f9b3dd1162b4-

fpn_1498999409__jpeg_image-f9b3dd1162b4-

Lgsoltek's Azure #5 and Kunzea Red are excellent choices.

I thought about Private Reserve's American Blue (a great color, indeed), but it is not dark enough for the flag color. So Noodler's Manhattan Blue looks to me to be just right. The flag red is a tough one, and the only ink that I have that doesn't lean orange or pink is Montblanc's Corn Poppy Red.

Please pay no attention to the appalling drawing of the US flag. I tried, but it's darn difficult to draw!

fpn_1499118190__2017-07-03_174053.jpg

Okay, this was last month, I had inked up with Noodler's Purple Heart, but I used the full fill before I got a chance to show it off.

http://www.shethinksinink.com/2017_2_Ink/06-June/slides/2017-06-10_Ink_64.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh! Now I do like that, a lot.

Give us the low-down on this gorgeous ink Amberlea, pleeease.

Ian

fpn_1499146847__screen_shot_2017-07-04_a

This one shows Visconti Red's shading, but not the beautiful sheen found with Visconti Blue

fpn_1499146986__screen_shot_2017-07-04_a

Agreed. Great lighting.

And the writing samples are exquisite.

+1 Great. I really enjoyed reading this thread, and was almost tempted myself but I'm not part of the project group.

Chrissy, all you have to do to be part of this group project is share a letter or if nothing else, post an image of one of your letters that relates to the topic. Having seen some of your new Diamine Shimmertastic Reviews, we'd love to see some red / blue combos from you. Also, if you want to send me your address, I'll mail you a letter for a CRV OR you can PM me and I'll send you my address. In short, we'd love to have you join the inky posting group.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ian

fpn_1499152822__2017-07-04-00-19-53.jpghttp://www.shethinksinink.com/2017_2_Ink/06-June/slides/2017-06-10_Ink_65.jpg

+1 Great. I really enjoyed reading this thread, and was almost tempted myself but I'm not part of the project group.

Oh Chrissy, there's no project group or commitment requirement of any sort! Just chime in any week you'd like and show what you choose as ink of the week!

Ian

fpn_1499152822__2017-07-04-00-19-53.jpghttp://www.shethinksinink.com/2017_2_Ink/06-June/slides/2017-06-10_Ink_65.jpg

I should have known it was one I can't get.

Even my noodlers sample guy doesn't have it.

Bummer.

Lovely ink though.

Ian

Used the only American inks I have, in really dark blue and pink... The names are kinda funny given the theme (only the ink brand (and one pen) is American). :)

http://paradoxcommunity.com/vps/27Flag.jpg

...the messed up "stars" were made by a white uni-ball Signo.

The Shah's Rose was in a Jinhao 992 (F nib) and the Starry Night Blue was in my Karas Kustoms Fountain K Mini 1.1 stub. (Had my weeks mixed up, this was actually in last week...)

Oh! No! I am too late for the 4th of July celebrations! However, dear American friends, I prepared for you a nice French red-blue-combo:

post-135263-0-12922100-1499206898_thumb.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain