North African Violet?

Alexandra

I ordered a bottle of Noodler's North African Violet. I've seen scans and read reviews and feel myself justified in expecting a more vibrant purple than this. I understand that color can be inconsistent from batch to batch but I can hardly believe this to be NAV. Is it a mislabeled Concord Bream? This ink is so pale as to be unusable.

After failing to get a decent scan I took a picture. It's kind of dark but gives a more accurate representation of the ink which is a pale bluish purple, almost a periwinkle.

post-21736-0-28450000-1498854565_thumb.jpg

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexandra

• amberleadavis

• Ghost Plane

• goodpens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is as vibrant as you would expect it to be. I've had it a year or more. I took some pictures, but they aren't capturing the color as I see it so I'm not posting them. I'd ask for a replacement.

Have you agitated the bottle? Maybe the ink has separated a bit.

This is a first for me. I've never had to do this but I shook the bottle really well and that helped. It's still not quite what I was expecting but it is much improved and usable. Now I think it might even be North African Violet. It's not exactly vibrant but it's a nice color. The scan doesn't do justice to the color but it can be seen easily, unlike the first picture.

Thanks for the suggestion!

post-21736-0-53946500-1498866739_thumb.jpg

www.lettermatters.com

I bought a bottle a year ago to use for mixing up some Black Roses in North African Violets and have given up. My NAV looked like the OP's bottle, washed out even after vigorous shaking. Purple Martin is more vibrant than my NAV. Very disappointing even as a regular ink.

By the way, NAV stains. Really stains. Not quite as bad as BSB but I have two converters that are now purple because of it.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I wonder if this is older stock that has simply faded in the bottle. There's some threads here about a few other Noodler's inks which have done this (can't remember which ones, I think 54th Mass was one of them).

I bought a bottle a year ago to use for mixing up some Black Roses in North African Violets and have given up. My NAV looked like the OP's bottle, washed out even after vigorous shaking. Purple Martin is more vibrant than my NAV. Very disappointing even as a regular ink.

By the way, NAV stains. Really stains. Not quite as bad as BSB but I have two converters that are now purple because of i

That means my bottle is not an isolated incident. That's not good. You're not kidding that it stains. I wish the ink on the page was as vibrant as the stain in my sink. :(

www.lettermatters.com

I wonder if this is older stock that has simply faded in the bottle. There's some threads here about a few other Noodler's inks which have done this (can't remember which ones, I think 54th Mass was one of them).

I found this experiment (see link) by amberleadavis which makes me think not. I suspect there was a bad batch at one time and I just got unlucky.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/254849-results-does-ink-fade-in-the-bottle/

www.lettermatters.com

Still WAY too light for the real color.

Yeah. Usable but not what I thought I was buying.

www.lettermatters.com

Sorry to hear of your experience with NAV.

As for cleaning the sink I had a similar experience with BSB in a stainless steel sink. My way of cleaning it was to sprinkle it with tap water (or mist it if you have one - like for plants) so that the surface was wet and then shake some comet cleanser over the wet area. I left it for a few minutes and then wipe it (or scrub a bit) with strong paper towels.

That process has worked for me on several occasions w/BSB and others.

Best of success...

That means my bottle is not an isolated incident. That's not good. You're not kidding that it stains. I wish the ink on the page was as vibrant as the stain in my sink. :(

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Sorry to hear of your experience with NAV.

As for cleaning the sink I had a similar experience with BSB in a stainless steel sink. My way of cleaning it was to sprinkle it with tap water (or mist it if you have one - like for plants) so that the surface was wet and then shake some comet cleanser over the wet area. I left it for a few minutes and then wipe it (or scrub a bit) with strong paper towels.

That process has worked for me on several occasions w/BSB and others.

Best of success...

Thank you, bgmarketing. I did have success in getting out the stain. It seems that NAV comes up more easily than BSB. But then, few inks (if any) have BSB's attitude!

www.lettermatters.com

Interesting effect, I must confess... First I thought of a joke and than of a mix-up with Noodler's ghost ink.

Honestly, when I first looked, I wondered why I could only see the show through on the back of the page. :o

Ditto.

This is NAV diluted to 10% of original:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Purple/slides/2014-Ink_583-Noodlers_NAV.jpg

Here is what it looks like dipped and swabbed on especially feathery paper.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/62632012-02-25_01_NAV.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ditto.

This is NAV diluted to 10% of original:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Purple/slides/2014-Ink_583-Noodlers_NAV.jpg

Here is what it looks like dipped and swabbed on especially feathery paper.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/TI/images/_nb_mediaFrames/62632012-02-25_01_NAV.jpg

The diluted example is what mine looks like. It's not a disagreeable color at all and it's growing on me. Surely a second bottle will be the real deal. Surely.

www.lettermatters.com

Have you tried shaking it?

If it is not that beautiful rich color, return it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Have you tried shaking it?

If it is not that beautiful rich color, return it.

I've shaken and shaken again. I think I will return it. Thanks.

www.lettermatters.com

• 1 year later...

Ugh. Mine was pale and dry and icky. Tried it tonight in a pen with good flow, after having had bad luck in another pen. Still bad. Rinsed it all out after only about 8 hours in a pen and it had already started to stain the clear barrel of the TWSBI Eco.

Needed a vibrant purple today, so I switched to Private Reserve Plum. Much more satisfying.