Vintage "rexpen" From Croatia

KellyMcJ

I have been watching these pens on eBay for quite a while now (OK, I really wanted a pen from Tesla's homeland) and finally bit on one. It arrived today...

It's a very solidly built and simplistic pen with a piston fill and ink window and maybe most notably, a 14kt nib (many from this brand are steel nibbed). These are plentiful on eBay but seem virtually unheard of here and Google is even no help.

The only minor flaw is that there is ink staining the piston, which is expected I suppose and only visible when filling (there is a slotted ink window not visible in the photos). The piston was stiff and I was able to lube it from the nib end using instructions found in the Pelikan forum. Worked like a charm (I don't think the piston can be removed so I hope the o rings, or whatever seal it has, are still good!) The feed appears to be ebonite.

The nib is perfect and writes beautifully. It's not a flex pen but has some give...other than for one quick test I don't feel any need to flex it.

Does anyone have any more information on this brand?

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170629_132100_zpszwy7lmyo.jpg

Edited by KellyMcJ

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• MsRedpen

• Nirados

• 2 weeks later...

Kelly, it was produced around 1960 - 1970 by TOZ (pen factory Zagreb), almost a replica of German Reform 1745 pen, and the nib is a generic Bock nib. You described the pen perfectly in it's looks and character.

It was a quality mid level pen, "office workhorse", very often used as corporate gift, and this model was also the export one (East block).

TOZ factory was established in 1937 as pen and crayon manufacturer, later developing to a full stationery factory. School level Rexpen fountain pens, cartridges only, were a hit from the 1970 - since it was compulsory to use FP at school (and Royal blue type of colour).

TOZ nowdays still produces Rexpen line, but nothing exciting in it. Their higher level FPs are branded Penkala.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Kelly, it was produced around 1960 - 1970 by TOZ (pen factory Zagreb), almost a replica of German Reform 1745 pen, and the nib is a generic Bock nib. You described the pen perfectly in it's looks and character.

It was a quality mid level pen, "office workhorse", very often used as corporate gift, and this model was also the export one (East block).

TOZ factory was established in 1937 as pen and crayon manufacturer, later developing to a full stationery factory. School level Rexpen fountain pens, cartridges only, were a hit from the 1970 - since it was compulsory to use FP at school (and Royal blue type of colour).

TOZ nowdays still produces Rexpen line, but nothing exciting in it. Their higher level FPs are branded Penkala.

Thanks for the info! I see many of them with two tone steel nibs... they don't interest me much but I like the gold nibbed ones!

Any idea if the piston can be removed and seals replaced?

I checked yesterday with my father-in-law who had a Reform - feedback: "yes, but it might not be needed if you keep it inked and in use, leave the repair to professionals."

I hope some actual owner/user of the pen who tried replacing seals will chip in!

(since this reply didn't really answer your question...)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

I checked yesterday with my father-in-law who had a Reform - feedback: "yes, but it might not be needed if you keep it inked and in use, leave the repair to professionals."

I hope some actual owner/user of the pen who tried replacing seals will chip in!

(since this reply didn't really answer your question...)

It was stiff from years of disuse when I got it, I was able to lube it through the nib end. There's ink (not my ink) behind the seal but it seems alright. I'm hoping it lasts a good many years yet.

• 1 year later...

They write well, I got a few sets(complets) from my grandfather and I took one out and used it for years(in the 2009-2013/4) while i was going to elementary school and once I got angry for something stupid I started pressing it really hard and the 18k gold tip snapped in half. I still regret that to this day, I do have another just like that one in other color but I'm afraid to use it as I have many other Waterman, Mont Blanc, Parker,... Pens