Nib Switching Pilot/sailor/platinum

mke

How easy is nib switching @Pilot/Sailor/Platinum pens - DIY possible?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Tinjapan

• Algester

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

How easy is nib switching @Pilot/Sailor/Platinum pens - DIY possible?

Well, if the nibs are of the same size and footprint, you can swap them around. Perhaps easier with Sailor and Pilot, as current Platinum #3776 nibs have a notch in the tail.

Certainly, you can play with this and see for yourself, ay? Many of us have done that over the years.

However: the question is what do you mean to accomplish, beyond experimenting? The thing I've learned is that a nib's qualities are best found with the feed it was originally paired with. Feeds among Sailor/Pilot/Platinum can't be swapped around.

But if you mean, nib switching within a brand: again, if the size of the nib is the same, you can easily swap a B nib for an F.

Best regards!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Just wanted to confirm that no special tools are necessary. As I had not seen any detailed discussion on nib switching @Japanese Pens, I asked.

Thank you.

Just wanted to confirm that no special tools are necessary. As I had not seen any detailed discussion on nib switching @Japanese Pens, I asked.

Thank you.

Here's a video to watch; not about Japanese nibs, but he explains how to hold the nib before you pull:

http://meisternibs.com/how-to-switch-nibs/

You shouldn't work on a nib cold, but perhaps rinse under lukewarm water. If the nib is too tight, well, use some judgement as to know when to stop so that you don't twist or ruin your nib or feed. While in general it's easy to pull a friction fit nib with your fingers, sometimes special tools are needed. Sometimes a nib is just too tight. Older Platinum nibs were very hard to pull without a special tool, unlike the current #3776 nibs which are designed so that people can pull them out when needed. I once had a Pilot nib that was so tight I nearly ruined it. Sometimes you gotta know to just "stop." :)

As always, proceed at your own risk. You're the one responsible for your pen experience, ay?

Kind regards, and good luck!

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

The nib on a Pilot CH 92 is friction fit, and I think its a #5. I think you could swap it out with a Custom 74 nib. I haven't tried doing that mind you. But I have pulled the nib/feed on my CH 92 to clean it out and so a touch of surgery on the feed.

I've swapped a extra fine nib from a Platinum Preppy and plugged it into a Platinum Plaisir, since I don't think there's an EF Plaisir, but there is on the Preppy. I pulied out the tube and the nib and swapped them that way, but I think there's probably a much easier way.

Not sure if the nibs are swappable between Sailor/Pilot/Platinum.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Not sure if the nibs are swappable between Sailor/Pilot/Platinum.

Yes and No, I'll explain.

Sailor - Sailor

Platnium - Nakaya

Pilot - Namiki and Hakase

This is assuming the nibs and feeds are the same size.

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

Yes and No, I'll explain.

Sailor - Sailor

Platnium - Nakaya

Pilot - Namiki and Hakase

This is assuming the nibs and feeds are the same size.

Current Platinum/ Nakaya are not compatible with the older nib and feed design from a few years ago.

There are older Hakase pens that used Sailor nib and feeds.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I've swapped a extra fine nib from a Platinum Preppy and plugged it into a Platinum Plaisir, since I don't think there's an EF Plaisir, but there is on the Preppy. I pulied out the tube and the nib and swapped them that way, but I think there's probably a much easier way.

For ultimate ease, you can just swap the entire section. :)

> you can just swap the entire section

That's right, Platinum Preppy = Platinum Plaisir. Absolutely identical.

fyi:

Plaisir from 677 Yen (HP 1000)

Preppy from 147 (HP 200), there are also Preppies which are a bit more expensive, e.g. with Hello Kitty printing (the Kitties seems to be not sold online, HP 450)

For ultimate ease, you can just swap the entire section. :)

That's what I like about Sailor pens! Many dislike the black sections in the Sapporo & Standard, but I love it! No fiddling with nibs & feeds for change of nib width, just swap the sections et voila!

> For ultimate ease, you can just swap the entire section.

That was an argument for Platinum Preppys and Plaisirs.

Sailor Sapporo, is that the entry level of professional gear pens? No pen is known under this name in Japan. The size which I found on the web point to that.

But unfortunately, between levels, e.g. sections of Sailor Profit Standard and Profit21 cannot be exchanged.

Yes the Sapporo is the Pro Gear Slim, I think it had different names in different markets and is now everywhere simply the "Pro Gear Slim". I know the comment was originally meant for the Preppy/ Plaisir, but Sailor's sections are interchangeable, albeit as you note, only within their lines/ models, not throughout the whole offer. Though apart from ease of switching to me a further advantage is also that black sections hide potential ink stains better than coloured sections..

The sections, caps, and bodies change between the Pilot 74 and 91. The cap swaps between the 92/91/74. The nibs are friction fit and swap between the three but they are all Pilot #5 nibs. So you can make combinations of those pens that are not available from Pilot.

BTW if anybody has a spare cap from one of those let me know. My dog eat the cap from my clear 74.

> you can just swap the entire section

That's right, Platinum Preppy = Platinum Plaisir. Absolutely identical.

fyi:

Plaisir from 677 Yen (HP 1000)

Preppy from 147 (HP 200), there are also Preppies which are a bit more expensive, e.g. with Hello Kitty printing (the Kitties seems to be not sold online, HP 450)

I think I might have did it the hard way not knowing any better at the time. I'll probably get one of those Nova Orange Plaisirs soon since my clip in the Gunmetal one is a bit loose from my abuse.

I find the medium nib on the Preppy a bit stubbish. Is it just me?

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the nibs are easily swappable within the brands as long as the nibs are the same size. My Namiki Custom Impressions is currently sporting a #10 music nib that I swapped in from a Pilot 742.